Whats the dream spec...

Ned Kelly

Hi All just a quick hello and an opener to get some advice from people in the know. About me I'm a sign maker based in n/w london I currently run a mwb Crafter for work and was lucky enough to have owned an early 70's T2 camper back in the day pre kids.... recently I have been looking around the web and soaking up all the lovely VW's out there and I'm ready to jump back in. I'm looking to buy new and I am leaning towards LWB Kombi with the view to a full 2 berth stealth camper conversion within the next 12 months. the plan is to do some 4-6 week trips in the next few years UK. Europe including Finland /Norway. My first question is what van? I really want it to have a personal touch and really want to own all the decisions that make up the final build. but don't want to waste money by overspending due to naivety. I haven't been to a dealer yet as want to feel like I'm sure of what I want before listening to the sales dribble.

So a few questions to get the ball rolling if you would indulge me.

1. LWB or SWB ?
most conversions appear to be SWB is there a reason for this
2. Trendline v Highline
is this just about more engine choices or is it a noticeable higher spec on finish and trim.
3. Manual or DSG
4. TDI v TSI
is this purely a cost of running decision or are there reliability/ maintenance considerations to worry about
5. 150 ps v 204 ps
fully loaded camper with water tanks leisure batteries and all the bells and whistles is the 204 a no-brainer.

Sorry, its a lot to ask on an opening post but I'm no mechanic and having never owned a T6 would really appreciate your informed advice and input.

best regards Ned

Hello and welcome!

A lot will come down to budget - one question you have not asked is what weight rating to go for; T28, T30 or even T32; a fully loaded camper could, with lots of water on board, bikes, etc., easily get towards T28 limits. Depends how many of you there are and how much stuff you intend to carry. Mine is a T30, Highline, 150Dsg and when fully loaded, including 3 of us and 2 dogs, we are well over 2800kg.

As above, plus everybody has their own individual preference

Regarding SWB, I’d say that as they fit in most car park spaces, this would be the reason why most conversions are built on such,

I don’t get the whole stealth camper thing, but each to their own

Highline has a few extra touches which I like but you can aftermarket these if you wish eg leather stearing wheel etc

DSG anyday of the week for me

TDI V TSI, mpg was my reason but having driven a TSI recently, it was very smooth

If ordering new, please do yourself a favour and tick the LED headlights as an option as the standard lights are worse than a TK Bedford

If I were visiting dealerships, the Hatfield VW I was impressed with.
Didn’t visit the Citygate at Colindale, did HW branch but didn’t like them. Bought from the one near to Heathrow.

I have recently been through the same process as you describe. I spent months trying to fathom all the factory options before ordering my Kombi & will be picking it up in March. It strikes me that getting the factory to set it up right will save you money in the long run. Here are my answers to your specific points:
1. LWB - more room for my dogs whilst on the road
2. HL - many worthwhile goodies and 4Motion option.
3. DSG for me every time.
4. TDI for 4Motion.
5. More power the better on a loaded T32. No brainer.

I tried to spec everything that I might regret leaving off, after delivery.

Good luck with the stealers.

Hi and welcome Ned,

I would deftly have the T32, DSG 204 TDI & LED head lights as a start
Shop around via internet as i found out the hard way, i could of saved £600 just using a VW garage further south, they all use different discounts, the best is around 13% on new, try Mark Gretton VW Cheltenham 07772600860
Now start spending loads of well earned cash!

I don't understand why anyone would ever buy a T32? They ride rock hard, cost extra and everyone complains about wheel\suspension choice

I don't understand why anyone would ever buy a T32? They ride rock hard, cost extra and everyone complains about wheel\suspension choice
Standard suspension on a T30 was not stiff enough for my van when converted - typical conversion will put an awful lot of weight over the back axle and go some way to resolving the rock hard ride of the T32 - if I was starting again I would consider a T32 to save having to get heavy duty springs fitted when I realised there was a problem.

because it has its place in the line up

not everyone drives around in a empty van, the extra load is handy for keeping within the law.

there are enough wheel and suspension choices for the T32 for most

my T32, handles awesome with Seikel and it wasn't that bad with stock suspension and empty

Its a van, not a car

Got a T32, rides like a dream on B14’s so no complaints about my suspension. My 18” sportline (T5 style) rims fit perfectly with tyres that are correctly rated so no complaints about those either.
Did I specify a T32, nope. It was what was on a forecourt with the spec I could live with, available without a 3-4 month wait. Plus I couldn’t afford a brand new one.
It does exactly what I want it to. No complaints.:cool:

Hi All just a quick hello and an opener to get some advice from people in the know. About me I'm a sign maker based in n/w london I currently run a mwb Crafter for work and was lucky enough to have owned an early 70's T2 camper back in the day pre kids.... recently I have been looking around the web and soaking up all the lovely VW's out there and I'm ready to jump back in. I'm looking to buy new and I am leaning towards LWB Kombi with the view to a full 2 berth stealth camper conversion within the next 12 months. the plan is to do some 4-6 week trips in the next few years UK. Europe including Finland /Norway. My first question is what van? I really want it to have a personal touch and really want to own all the decisions that make up the final build. but don't want to waste money by overspending due to naivety. I haven't been to a dealer yet as want to feel like I'm sure of what I want before listening to the sales dribble.

So a few questions to get the ball rolling if you would indulge me.

1. LWB or SWB ?
most conversions appear to be SWB is there a reason for this
2. Trendline v Highline
is this just about more engine choices or is it a noticeable higher spec on finish and trim.
3. Manual or DSG
4. TDI v TSI
is this purely a cost of running decision or are there reliability/ maintenance considerations to worry about
5. 150 ps v 204 ps
fully loaded camper with water tanks leisure batteries and all the bells and whistles is the 204 a no-brainer.

Sorry, its a lot to ask on an opening post but I'm no mechanic and having never owned a T6 would really appreciate your informed advice and input.

best regards Ned

I'd personally look at a new Crafter for your camper as well.

But if you are set on a T6,

1. I'd get the LWB for sure, the extra 400mm is handy, its not hard to park, even easier with reversing camera.
2. (i'd spec it up, depending on the amount)
3. DSG, if you want to flick it and drive manual you can, if not you can enjoy not shifting in traffic.
4. tough one, i went with the TDI, heaps of power decent on fuel, long term is ????
5. Always get the biggest engine you can, camper conversions can be heavy, and the extra power for overtaking is great.

I'd personally get a T32 for a camper conversion, as once you add water tanks, batteries and the conversion the weight adds up.

That Crafter MWB high roof would be a good stealth camper

DaveyB "rides like a dream on b14s", I'd hope so bud considering how much they cost. For the price of a t6 they should ride like that from the factory.

Some great info here grateful for all your comments I'm getting closer to some big decisions. whatever happens its going to break the bank i realise that and I'm prepared one big last expense that I'm considering.
whats everyone's thoughts on 4 motion is it good in the snow aimed at people who tow ? great to hear what you think.

If it's fuel consumption you're concerned about.....stick with the standard H4 headlights.....best fuel economy device going! They make me drive like a Vicar at night!!! Sorry mate....that wasn't very helpful! Nice position to be in.....good luck. :thumbsup:

Hi Banj, the cost difference between T30 & T32 list is £500 less 11/13% is around £300 more, and for those that are putting the Tub through the business, it would be best to get the T32 for reclaiming the VAT due to the fact it can carry over 1 tonne ;)

Vans with rear seats
Some vehicles look like vans and don’t have windows in the sides behind the driver. But they do have additional seats for carrying passengers behind the front row of seats (or they’re designed so they can be fitted with them). They’re sometimes known as combination vans or combi-vans. HMRC considers that this type of vehicle is a commercial vehicle for VAT purposes if it meets either of the following conditions:

1. It has a payload of more than one tonne after the extra seats have been added.
  2. The dedicated load area (the load area that’s completely unaffected by the extra seats) is larger than the passenger area.
If it meets either of these conditions, then the vehicle is a commercial vehicle for VAT purposes and you can reclaim the input VAT if you follow the normal rules for reclaiming VAT.
HMRC has produced a list of car derived vans and vans with rear seats showing whether they’re classed as a van (commercial vehicle) or a car for VAT purposes

So buy a lwb T30 then the load area would be bigger than passenger area
Yep that would be correct, it’s say the load area must be bigger than the passages area, so a LWB has increased load area, that’s how i have interpreted any way

Hi Banj, the cost difference between T30 & T32 list is £500 less 11/13% is around £300 more, and for those that are putting the Tub through the business, it would be best to get the T32 for reclaiming the VAT due to the fact it can carry over 1 tonne ;)

Vans with rear seats
Some vehicles look like vans and don’t have windows in the sides behind the driver. But they do have additional seats for carrying passengers behind the front row of seats (or they’re designed so they can be fitted with them). They’re sometimes known as combination vans or combi-vans. HMRC considers that this type of vehicle is a commercial vehicle for VAT purposes if it meets either of the following conditions:

1. It has a payload of more than one tonne after the extra seats have been added.
  2. The dedicated load area (the load area that’s completely unaffected by the extra seats) is larger than the passenger area.
If it meets either of these conditions, then the vehicle is a commercial vehicle for VAT purposes and you can reclaim the input VAT if you follow the normal rules for reclaiming VAT.
HMRC has produced a list of car derived vans and vans with rear seats showing whether they’re classed as a van (commercial vehicle) or a car for VAT purposes

I'm sure I read the 4-Motion can't carry the one tonne load and hence falls out of the commercial bracket for vat recovery.

Back