T6.1 Fusebox SC access?

DubHaus

Indium Grey T6.1 T32 Highline Kombi - WIP
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all, I’ve had a quick search and can’t find how to gain access to the rear of the main fuse box in a T6.1 (main fuse box under light switch) can anyone help /give advice / how to? I’m needing to redo some previously retrofitted wiring and also adding in Side Assist and TPMS fuse positions

Thanks in advance

It has 3 plastic push tab, 2 left and 1 right, release them and pull forward.

It may be tight as F so may need to strip the area down to get good access behind.

The surround around the fuse box that it sits in is removable from memory.

Did you manage to get this out? I’ve unclipped it from the surround but I’m struggling to move it any further than that. I need to get to the rear of the fuse box to wire in some heated seat looms.

Thanks
Nick

View attachment 230097
Not quite! Unfortunately been unable to work on it recently but I did manage to get it unseated from its 3 clips! Laying on the floor with head under steering wheel I managed to get enough fingers behind it to lever it out of the 3 retaining clips. Will need to remove the piece that’s in front of it and surrounds the fuse box to get at it properly! Looks like a few torx screws accessible with drivers door open. Will be giving it a go in next couple of days

Not quite! Unfortunately been unable to work on it recently but I did manage to get it unseated from its 3 clips! Laying on the floor with head under steering wheel I managed to get enough fingers behind it to lever it out of the 3 retaining clips. Will need to remove the piece that’s in front of it and surrounds the fuse box to get at it properly! Looks like a few torx screws accessible with drivers door open. Will be giving it a go in next couple of days
Ah thanks. Yeah I’ve got that far as well. I had a quick look at those torx screws and feared it was a full dash out job, I really hope not

Ah thanks. Yeah I’ve got that far as well. I had a quick look at those torx screws and feared it was a full dash out job, I really hope not
I’m sitting looking at it now and fear that may be the case! Removed the torx and the whole dash now moves when I pull it! Must be a way to add circuits to the main fuse box without a dash out job!!

Unless anyone can advise differently, I’m looking at removing clocks, BCM and getting at the back of the fuse box from the clock cavity

Unless anyone can advise differently, I’m looking at removing clocks, BCM and getting at the back of the fuse box from the clock cavity
I’ve stole this photo from elsewhere in the forum. Correct me if I’m wrong but the red wire with black connector I believe is a piggy back fuse? Using this I wouldn’t need to remove the fuseboard at all and can just connect from the front face.

IMG_8317.jpeg

I’ve stole this photo from elsewhere in the forum. Correct me if I’m wrong but the red wire with black connector I believe is a piggy back fuse? Using this I wouldn’t need to remove the fuseboard at all and can just connect from the front face.

View attachment 230123
Yes you can, but be careful of loading, they’re usually used for things like dash cams etc. not sure how they will handle heated seat loads?

Yes you can, but be careful of loading, they’re usually used for things like dash cams etc. not sure how they will handle heated seat loads?
Yeah that is something of concern. The heated seats on full power are 5amps each.

It would be ideal if I could wire into the back of fuse box but not keen on the idea of removing the entire dash to get to it.

I could wire up to the bus bars for leisure battery but then I risk draining the battery if accidentally leave the seats switched on.

I read on another forum about the relays in the heated seat loom turning off when the engine turns off but I’m not sure how true that is?

You would be better off using a piggy back to trigger a relay that is using a perm 12v feed as its input from under the passenger seat and then using the output of this for heated seat kits. It is what I did for my five heated seats when I couldnt get the mainfuse box and gave up.

You would be better off using a piggy back to trigger a relay that is using a perm 12v feed as its input from under the passenger seat and then using the output of this for heated seat kits. It is what I did for my five heated seats when I couldnt get the mainfuse box and gave up.
Have you got any pictures of what this would look like please?

Mine also came with relays however to add a degree of protection I used a perm feed from under the passenger seat and then fed this to a new relay which then provides a feed to a small fusebox and then all the relays for the seating are fed from this. It is likely I overly complicated it however I wanted to do it that way.

Under passenger seat is a a fusebox with lots of spare slots. The busbar underneath feeds many of the vacant slots on one side so you use the fuse I just undid the fusebox, slid the purple locking device and then added a new cable and VW insert - you can buy them from various places although I have them at home as I tend to buy an old VW fusebox from a cheap model and repurpose the tails.

going back to fusebox access i had the same issue, i did find though that if you release the main feed cable on the left hand side of the unit it does allow a bit more movement to get limited access to the rear, i was adding a couple cables to the top row and managed ok but not sure its enough to get at fuse slots further down ?

Yeah thats pretty much where i was at, i was only adding permanent supplies so utilised a couple slots in the top row
If i remember correctly i couldnt see the lock mechanism for the lower rows but as i didnt need them i didnt try too hard

Back