How To - RedArc TowPro Electric Brake Controller

paggle

Team Two-Tone
VIP Member
Hi All,

As my camper trailer has electric brakes (Aussie requirement for trailers over a certain weight), I needed to fit a brake controller to my T6.1. To solve this, I made a custom loom that plugs in to the exisiting OEM plugs, so no factory wiring had to be cut or spliced!

Here is how I did it.
  1. This guide assumes you have the factory-fitted towing "preparation" and the OEM tow control module installed.
  2. Under the front passenger seat, there is a green plug/socket connection (which is part of the trailer wiring loom). We will connect into this, to integrate the brake controller.
    • 1662775538497.png1662775582317.png
  3. I used a 30A circuit breaker and a 6A diode, as recommended in the TowPro installation manual. My loom complies with the RedArc recommendations for vehicles with CAN Bus System.
    • 1662772885996.png
  4. Brake signal is sourced from the OEM loom, and is essentially the brake signal at the trailer plug.
  5. Parts I used:
    1. RedArc TowPro Elite V3: Link
    2. Prolec PDMKitALS1 Fuse Holder Kit: Link
    3. 6A Bussmann 22903-6 Mini Blade Diode: Link
    4. 30A Bussmann 211 Mini Blade Circuit Breaker: Link
    5. 4F0 937 733 & 4F0 937 743 Connectors with terminals: Link
  6. This is the loom I made to fit into the green plug/sockets. The loom also passes through all light signals as required:
    • 1662770635342.jpeg
  7. The schematic representation of the loom:
    • 1662771142758.png
  8. As you can see from the schematic, we will be utilising the +12V Ignition wire (I don't need it in my application) for the brake output, instead of running an additional wire to the trailer socket at the back of the car. To make this work (depending on how your camper is wired), we need to relocate the wire from pin 10 to pin 12 in towbar socket. Pin 12 is the standard output for electric brakes on a EURO style plug in Australia. Your country or camper may be different, so check and adjust this as necessary.
  9. The RedArc Tow Pro requires constant 12V (otherwise the calibration is lost/reset when power is lost). As we want power from the OEM tow module's +12V Constant, we need to reprogram the tow module using VCDS or OBD11 to enable this. The OEM tow module is module 69, and the coding required is byte 3 set to hex 01. The coding will look similar to this:
    • VCDS:1662774435900.png
    • OR OBD11: 1662771952528.png
  10. While you are coding, might as well disable the power output to Pin 10 (12v+ Ignition), as it is disconnected / we are not using it. The coding is similar to the above, but set Byte 4 to Hex 00.
  11. Finally, plug it all in, connect the Ground, mount the TowPro controller securely (make sure it doesn't move around, otherwise it will not work properly as it will not detect acceleration/deceleration correctly!), mount the TowPro remote in the dash, and then go test!
    • 1662775631993.png
    • 1662775666581.png
  12. I will add some more photos here of the final installed product when I get a chance.
Hope this helps someone!

1662771748677.png

Last edited:
Well done!
What weight is the threshold for electric brake requirement?
Is mechanical overrun brake an equivalent of this electric approach?

Well done!
What weight is the threshold for electric brake requirement?
Is mechanical overrun brake an equivalent of this electric approach?
Thanks!
From memory it is a trailer weight of 750kg or over..
Yes, mechanical brakes are suitable as well!

Last edited:
Hi Paggle, have just installed the Redarc brake controller, not like you did but in the recommended fashion running wires down the van and not utilising the factory loom.
Problem at the moment is that the van no longer recognises the trailer being on and now have no trailer lights. Could I have fried the trailer detectors brain somewhere along the way and need to reset it or something?
Cheers, Bugs

Hi Paggle, have just installed the Redarc brake controller, not like you did but in the recommended fashion running wires down the van and not utilising the factory loom.
Problem at the moment is that the van no longer recognises the trailer being on and now have no trailer lights. Could I have fried the trailer detectors brain somewhere along the way and need to reset it or something?
Cheers, Bugs
Sorry, haven't been on here much lately, you might have already fixed it but here goes...

Have you installed the diode as per the RedArc instructions?

Maybe sketch out a single-line diagram of how you have done it, then I can offer some more guidance.

Back