T6.1 T32 - big brakes?

I think the lower power vans have smaller callipers and pads (them being the big brakes, which are a newer design over the old T6 shape). @BognorMotors will definitely know as he does the upgrades

T6 (old design) 17" chassis big front caliper with 340mm disc:

1643399948846.png

T6.1 (new lighter, smaller design) 17" chassis big front caliper with the same 340mm disc:

1643400044064.png

Cost saving by Vw?

Usually, but not always fitted to the higher powered T32 flavoured T6 / T6.1's
Some 150bhp's have them fitted if specified with the 17" chassis. This was an optional extra when placing a factory order and always came with a minimum 17" alloy to provide clearance.
If you have factory fitted 16" Clayton alloys, these will always be fitted with the smaller front brakes.
Rear brakes are the same regardless of T designation or engine power

T6 T32 205bhp brakes, such a shame they let the Penny pinchers at the brakes on the T6.1 high power units. Sad state really.

00C013A7-932B-4C3B-BAF7-DE778DBBCA0D.jpeg

T6 T32 205bhp brakes, such a shame they let the Penny pinchers at the brakes on the T6.1 high power units. Sad state really.

View attachment 143815

Loving the bucket!!

Are they the discs that @jaymac had?
Rotinger?
£142 for the pair of 340mm’s

Looking to fit the same discs to mine when pennies allow!!

Last edited:
That’s the ones @moomin-j . Absolute stunning. Got a rollicking the other day whenI planted my foot to test them, SWMBO nearly head butted the windscreen. :oops::oops:

So tell me gents,

If I've been dudded with the 16" chassis and 308mm brakes, how hard is it to swap to 340mm?

I'm in need of new rotors in any case but was wondering if a calliper change was simple enough or are the hoses different as well?

Might the ABS control or even the master cylinder be a different item?

Conversely

I'm kind of wondering if a move back to 16" wheels might mean I can get a better, taller profile all terrain tyre because I do some rough dirt road work sometimes and the 55 series road tyres don't cut it at all.

Cheers

If your thinking of going back to 16” wheels you don’t fit them over the brakes , they’re easy enough to change but minimum 17” wheel

Back