T6.1 steering rack part numbers

Tho01032650

VIP Member
Hi all, i have a 2020 t6.1 and I have a tight spot in my steering more noticeable going round right hand corners.
Power steering all works as it should. I thought maybe it was a CV joint or something like that.
Had the van inspected and on a ramp, weight off the front end so wheels jacked ignition on with van not running. Whilst turning the steering full lock either side there’s a tight spot where steering gets stuck and you have to rock it back and forth ever so slightly to get it free moving again. So I’ve been told the rack has failed or failing.

Now a nice shiny new one i have been quoted 2,250 +vat…. Great stuff.

Second hand they are obviously going for alot cheaper, my question is do the part numbers make much of a difference? They use exactly the same part number on the electric motor itself but the rack numbers are different
Part number off mine is 7L2423051E but i see 2022 on they use a rack with part number 7L2423051F
I’m more inclined towards a newer rack but my question is would the 7L2423051F rack work in place of my 7L2423051E rack ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Lee

Chuck your VIN up and I can check for part numbers applicable including superseded parts.

Sorry if i sound stupid, does that mean i would not be able to use a rack with part number 7L2423051F ?
That part number doesn't seem to exist on the VW parts system so is likely a factory only part and not orderable.

1706262969355.png

Last edited:
I’m assuming you have physically read that part number of the item ?
Unfortunately VW do some weird things with part numbers sometimes, 2 things I have noticed over the years is that sometimes the ‘factory’ part number can differ from the ‘spare part’ part number and also the part number stamped on something can be a part number of that individual item, that being a constituent part of a larger item and not available separately (which is what I suspect has happened here)
The number you are reading, for example, could just be for the metal housing whereas the etka part number would be for a complete unit including moving parts and seal etc etc ??

Unfortunately VW do some weird things with part numbers sometimes, 2 things I have noticed over the years is that sometimes the ‘factory’ part number can differ from the ‘spare part’ part number and also the part number stamped on something can be a part number of that individual item, that being a constituent part of a larger item and not available separately (which is what I suspect has happened here)
The number you are reading, for example, could just be for the metal housing whereas the etka part number would be for a complete unit including moving parts and seal etc etc ??
This happens more and more. Headlights is another fan favourite of VAG to have a factory only part number and then a completely different spare part number.

This probably explains it and why i have been confused.

Thank you for your replies guys it’s helped me understand abit more

Back