New steering rack issue

Ianspark

Hi guys and gals.
I’ve really struggled on my drive swapping over my T6 steering rack and wonder if someone can pinpoint what might have gone wrong.

T6 2019 non electronic steering.

I've finally swapped out the steering rack (old one, end seal had gone) and got the new one all in place and connected up. I've filled the fluid reservoir with Green MVCHF oil.
With the van still jacked up and no wheels on, I initially turned the steering lock to lock half a dozen times without the engine running (pump not running) and it was going lock to lock well. Then checked the fluid level again which was hadn't gone down at all. I assumed it might have dropped a bit after doing the lock to lock.
Then started the engine so the pump was running and started to do the lock to lock with the steering wheel again.
The steering wheel nearly broke my wrist as it violently snatched and then started to rapidly bounce back and fourth on its own accord! The only way I can stop it is to kill the ignition.
With the engine off I now can now only steer left or right about 10 deg’s...and with the engine on it violently bounces left and right on its own! (Not lock to lock but about 10 deg’s left then 10 deg’s right).
I’ve just tried to upload a video but can’t seem to upload one, sorry.
Hopefully someone has come across this issue before.
Many thanks in advance
Ian

Back