T6.1 Retrofit Reversing Camera

Hmmm... last time I tried to code a camera into a headunit the option wasn’t there in VCDS to activate it, I looked around at other installers and even they were stating that the cameras could only be retrofitted to certain headunit models....

Even the base model can have a camera, using the correct interface, and it does not need coding

I've got the camera and ordered the VCDS, anyone know how the head unit comes out?

An earlier answer was to remove the speedometer trim first, any tips on how to do this without snapping anything?

I did one the other day. Used a t6 camera fed into the radio and coded using latest version of vcds.
Simple enough job.
Can I just ask where you coded this please? Was it in adaptions menu of 09-central electrics module or in 5f-information electrics module?? I've just been asked by a customer with a T6.1 if one can be added to their system as they didn’t order it from vw with one, if it can be done I want to get all the cabling in before the camper conversion get too far ahead.
Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

I've got the camera and ordered the VCDS, anyone know how the head unit comes out?

An earlier answer was to remove the speedometer trim first, any tips on how to do this without snapping anything?

I’ll let you know over the next few days as I need to do this myself anyway...

Can I just ask where you coded this please? Was it in adaptions menu of 09-central electrics module or in 5f-information electrics module?? I've just been asked by a customer with a T6.1 if one can be added to their system as they didn’t order it from vw with one, if it can be done I want to get all the cabling in before the camper conversion get too far ahead.
Thanks in advance :thumbsup:
Here's what the camera supplier has told me, no idea what it all means, but I'll soon need to learn;

ADD 6C TO 19

5F ADAPTATION:
CAR FUNCION LIST BAP GEN2-VPS-----ACTIVE
CAR FUNCION LIST GEN2 - VPS msg bus -------TERMINAL 15

Here's what the camera supplier has told me, no idea what it all means, but I'll soon need to learn;

ADD 6C TO 19

5F ADAPTATION:

hmmm....ok so I’ve plugged VCDS into the van, I can find most of the the options you listed there, but I've also found options for a reversing camera in other areas too...
IMG_2570.jpg IMG_2571.jpg IMG_2573.jpg IMG_2574.jpg IMG_2575.jpg

Last edited:

ADD 6C TO 19

5F ADAPTATION:
Ok, so after a little research and trial / error...I’ve managed to find a definitive answer as to how to do it. What you’ve been told is correct with the addition of one extra bit...
To summarise,

19 - Gateway --> Installation List --> Activate "6C-Backing up camera" --> Save
5F - Electronic System --> Adaptations -->

10 - Steer/Park Assist --> Byte 4-5 --> 10 Rearview Camera

:thumbsup:

Ok, so after a little research and trial / error...I’ve managed to find a definitive answer as to how to do it. What you’ve been told is correct with the addition of one extra bit...
To summarise,

19 - Gateway --> Installation List --> Activate "6C-Backing up camera" --> Save
5F - Electronic System --> Adaptations -->

10 - Steer/Park Assist --> Byte 4-5 --> 10 Rearview Camera

:thumbsup:

Thanks for this info, I've just managed to connect mine and get it working, with your help.

I think my 10 - Steer/Park Assist may be different to yours, I only have bytes 0-4 and I modded bytes 2 and 3 as so;
62795-849abfd72b2b6a4f85aaabf78b02afa9.png

Here's the display;
62796-16e800d510477471348b7e10f6751b1f.jpg

As Edd found above, I had to remove the instrument panel surround before I could remove the radio surround.

Next problem is that there's no cutout in the back (tailgate) door, anyone dealt with this?

Thanks for this info, I've just managed to connect mine and get it working, with your help.

I think my 10 - Steer/Park Assist may be different to yours, I only have bytes 0-4 and I modded bytes 2 and 3 as so;
View attachment 62789

Here's the display;
View attachment 62790

As Edd found above, I had to remove the instrument panel surround before I could remove the radio surround.

Next problem is that there's no cutout in the back (tailgate) door, anyone dealt with this?

Ah ok, must just be vehicle specific then maybe? Glad it got you working though!
Cutout in the tailgate is relatively easy but you’ll need an air saw and balls of steel because you only get one chance at it... I made a jig for it out of 6mm mdf because I will be doing quite a few of them in the future now.
If you don’t fancy cutting a big square hole in your tailgate for a genuine camera, it might be worth considering one of the cheaper ones that just require a 10mm drilled hole??

Ah ok, must just be vehicle specific then maybe? Glad it got you working though!
Cutout in the tailgate is relatively easy but you’ll need an air saw and balls of steel because you only get one chance at it... I made a jig for it out of 6mm mdf because I will be doing quite a few of them in the future now.
If you don’t fancy cutting a big square hole in your tailgate for a genuine camera, it might be worth considering one of the cheaper ones that just require a 10mm drilled hole??

I was hoping a dremel would do it, I've been waiting for an excuse to buy one for ages. What do you think?

I've already got the OEM camera, so the easy option is out.

I was hoping a dremel would do it, I've been waiting for an excuse to buy one for ages. What do you think?

I've already got the OEM camera, so the easy option is out.
I don’t think you’ll be able to get low enough into the recess with a Dremel (I may be wrong though as I’ve not tried), be ware you don’t burn the surrounding paintwork with the sparks and heat produced...thats why I use an air saw, minimal heat and no sparks.
You’ll also need some paint to seal the bare metal edges of the cut out from the elements, last thing you will want is water getting in and rusting around the camera hole.

Excuse my lack of response.
Coding is done in 5f and 10.
my camera was not a canbus camera so no need to code gateway.

I don’t think you’ll be able to get low enough into the recess with a Dremel (I may be wrong though as I’ve not tried), be ware you don’t burn the surrounding paintwork with the sparks and heat produced...thats why I use an air saw, minimal heat and no sparks.
You’ll also need some paint to seal the bare metal edges of the cut out from the elements, last thing you will want is water getting in and rusting around the camera hole.

Thanks for the warning re sparks/heat etc, but actually the dremel cut through it brilliantly. I marked the cutout and drilled four corners from outside, I have the dremel flexible spindle extension and that fits in btween the rear door skins, so all the cutting can be done from inside the van, I just went slow and had 10 second gaps to allow heat to dissipate. DON'T LET THE CUTOUT DROP ONTO THE REAR BUMPER.

62996-4920fa0ef0a4cf630d805970d923dd41.jpg62998-86783a77faabcd13316c511a6f877c25.jpg62997-32c5bffc3100006f7b7061f457036dae.jpg

Thanks for the warning re sparks/heat etc, but actually the dremel cut through it brilliantly. I marked the cutout and drilled four corners from outside, I have the dremel flexible spindle extension and that fits in btween the rear door skins, so all the cutting can be done from inside the van, I just went slow and had 10 second gaps to allow heat to dissipate. DON'T LET THE CUTOUT DROP ONTO THE REAR BUMPER.

View attachment 62994View attachment 62995View attachment 62996

Fab job!! Worth knowing a dremel works for the future if I start installing cameras to customer’s vehicles outside of the workshop :thumbsup:

Hi
I have a T6.1, T28 Highline and am looking to see if we can get a Reversing Camera, anyone got any recommendations.
Thanks
Phil & Kez

The genuine integrated article, or just 'a reversing camera'?

Back