T6.1 Retrofit Reversing Camera

T6Jay

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi

Does anyone know if there's a kit available for this? I'm assuming it's different than the T6.

It's a Highline LWB tailgate panel van with standard radio.

Ideally I'd like it to work like the OEM one, with the existing radio if possible.

Why didn't I spec it you ask? Because the dealer was saying I couldn't have it without 3 other unwanted options, total cost was over £800.

Too soon for this?

Anyway I found this one;

NEW VW T6.1 - Rear View Camera KIT - With Guidance Lines - Retrofit

I emailed with my VIN and they say its 'New and Original' so I think I'll give it a try and report back here.

Does anyone know the VCDS system I will need? And where do I get the 'codes' from (I'll no doubt need some help with this :)

Also, I already have a USB/CAN adaptor, it has just three terminals (HI/LO/GND), I use this in my job as a Controls Engineer, is there a way to adapt this for use on the van?

Thanks in advance.......

Help!

Gendan Automotive (the Ross-tech people) are saying there's no coding tool for the T6.1 yet, and may not be for 18 months;

"As the car is so new, I wouldn’t like to recommend any aftermarket diagnostic tool, sorry. The technical data on the cars isn’t generally released by the manufacturers until maybe 18 months after a car is produced, so it wouldn’t yet be possible to confirm compatibility with a brand new car."

Anyone know any different?

Interesting, I reckon that’s just lack of knowledge and them playing it safe
I havent personally connected to a 6.1 yet but I sure someone would have moaned by now if VCDS suddenly stopped working !
The 6.1 has moved over to the VW MQB platform so I would expect module compatibility to have risen and not fallen as that is the main platform VW produce on now inc cars like the golf etc

As Pauly says above I guess current versions of VCDS will work on most of the modules however read here and contact Ross-Tech direct

Maybe they will ask if you can use someone else's VCDS if possible to send them data from the van both to answer your question and further their knowledge of the UK versions of the T6.1.

Ross-Tech are usually very obliging.

We had an issue the other day on a brand new caddy that VCDS didn’t even recognise it. Ill see if we can stick it on one of our 6.1’s tomorrow and let you know.

Anybody scanned a 6.1 yet ?
Yes. No problems. All the modules are well recognized and documented - as they have been on other cars.
Of course the latest software (19.6.2.2 released 10-FEB-20)+the current cable are needed.

If the answer is anywhere, it must be on here! Thanks Guys.

I've posted a separate thread on the question of using a CAN adaptor I already own; Diy Can Bus Adaptor??

For the T6.1 BCM - 09 - Centr. electronics, it's all in the adaptations only - 1479 parameters to tweak. The submodules are still through coding though.

I did one the other day. Used a t6 camera fed into the radio and coded using latest version of vcds.
Simple enough job.

I did one the other day. Used a t6 camera fed into the radio and coded using latest version of vcds.
Simple enough job.
Excellent news.

Can I ask how you routed the cable, and how did you remove the head unit?

Thanks

This is handy to know as the previous headunits were specific to whether a camera was fitted in the factory or not and couldn’t be added down the line.. looks like VW are allowing this now if you added one to a 6.1 :thumbsup:

You have to remove the speedometer trim surround then the radio trim comes off.

Can I ask how you do this. I mean is there screws to remove or does it just pull off? which end did you start from etc?

Maybe I can put the detailed instructions with photos of my install on here if I can get some guidance to get me started.

Thanks

This is handy to know as the previous headunits were specific to whether a camera was fitted in the factory or not and couldn’t be added down the line.. looks like VW are allowing this now if you added one to a 6.1 :thumbsup:

All T6 headunits can have a camera installed, one model does require a expensive aftermarket interface the rest are more straightforward

All T6 headunits can have a camera installed, one model does require a expensive aftermarket interface the rest are more straightforward
Hmmm... last time I tried to code a camera into a headunit the option wasn’t there in VCDS to activate it, I looked around at other installers and even they were stating that the cameras could only be retrofitted to certain headunit models....

Back