T6.1 Options..

VioletVW

VIP Member
T6 Guru
HI all,

So I've spec'd my van and placed the order. But, I'm wondering about a few other options as it is my intention to keep the van for a number of years.

I've read that some on here have regretted not getting 'Powered tailgate', any reasons for this? I've spec'd power closing but the idea of a fully electric door is appealing and there are others retrofitting it.. It's about £470 extra once power latching option is unticked.

I've also read about those retrofitting side assist. I think this is really useful tool as SWMBO has it on her Sportage and again, there are some trying to retrofit it to their T6. The only issue I have with this is the cost £1212 (£1040 after discount) as it is lumbered with lane assist - this we rarely use on the Sportage although on long trips it may be useful. I suppose what I'm asking is, is it worth it?

I've thought about not bothering with these options and going with a retrofit in future. The downsides of this are, is it doable on the 6.1 (new MQB platform) and it will probably be more expensive to do it that way.

Should I just bite the bullet and get it added as their done and dusted then?

Can’t comment on them on the van. However, I used to really like powered tailgate on my Audi because it would stop the dreaded claw mark on my boot where other people (morons) would pull on it to close it!:mad:
Lane assist is ok - just remember to indicate all the time. Can be useful on long journeys but it’s not really too hard to stay in a lane, so sort of take it or leave it IMO.
Side assist I always thought was a good idea but I don’t have it.
I think if you’re debating it now, you’ll probably be annoyed down the line if you don’t but I guess It comes down to what you’re willing to spend at the end of the day.

Have a powered tailgate on my car, and it’s a nice feature which just happened to be part of the spec when I bought it. Would I pay for it on my van though, probably not if I’m honest.

Cant offer a view on side assist, as haven’t used it. But I do agree on the principle of do it once and do it right. So if it’s going to bug you, and you can afford it, then push the button and add it to the order.

The only thing I now regret not adding to my spec was LED lights. And by the time I decided I had made a mistake, it was too late to add to the order without losing my build slot. So having had to reorder with a new supplier and reading tales of new orders now being pushed into Sept for delivery, I wasn’t prepared to do that.

Thanks for the thoughts above. I think part of my problem is this forum! I'm reading about people retrofitting components and I'm thinking, that would be nice, this would be nice and the tick options and cost racks up. Admittedly I'm only going to to purchase a van once and I think you're all right saying if I did not add the option then I'd be kicking myself. It is far easier to take the hit now and not have to worry about how these features could be added later. I'd like a tow-hitch but that can easily be added aftermarket so that is an easy one.

I've have already spec'd LED's, as I'd read everywhere that the standard lights were poor. My Passat B6 had awful lights, I didn't realise how poor until I fitted HID's in to the projector housing - massive difference. With modern driving and car headlights so bright quality lights are essential. VW clearly know this but charge an arm and leg for the privilege.

Will have to check my piggy bank I think.....

Thanks for the thoughts above. I think part of my problem is this forum! I'm reading about people retrofitting components and I'm thinking, that would be nice, this would be nice and the tick options and cost racks up. Admittedly I'm only going to to purchase a van once and I think you're all right saying if I did not add the option then I'd be kicking myself. It is far easier to take the hit now and not have to worry about how these features could be added later. I'd like a tow-hitch but that can easily be added aftermarket so that is an easy one.

I've have already spec'd LED's, as I'd read everywhere that the standard lights were poor. My Passat B6 had awful lights, I didn't realise how poor until I fitted HID's in to the projector housing - massive difference. With modern driving and car headlights so bright quality lights are essential. VW clearly know this but charge an arm and leg for the privilege.

Will have to check my piggy bank I think.....
Retrofitting LED’s to a 6.1 is considerably more tricky than I thought, and not currently an easy or readily available option. Plus, the 6.1 has more complex and sensitive electrics than the 6, so if you think you want them, I’d suggest to spec it as part of the build.

Personally I wouldn’t bother with side assist or lane assist.

Retrofitting LED’s to a 6.1 is considerably more tricky than I thought, and not currently an easy or readily available option. Plus, the 6.1 has more complex and sensitive electrics than the 6, so if you think you want them, I’d suggest to spec it as part of the build.

The extra electrickery is another reason I'm thinking of factory fit. It may be sometime before someone works out how it's done. That's of course if it is possible at all....

Reactions: Ozi
Its personal of course but I cant stand latching and power door. Good I suppose if on a campsite and quiet is needed.... Also wil help resale I suppose as higher spec.

Deffo LED lights:thumbsup:
Cheers,
Ian:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Any particular reason other than perhaps cost?

Lane assist is a horrible feeling, feels like someone else has got hold of the steering wheel, it’s also very annoying after a while.
And side assist is just something that I felt was not really needed.
I had both when I had my Tiguan and they were both permanently turned off.

Lane assist is a horrible feeling, feels like someone else has got hold of the steering wheel, it’s also very annoying after a while.

That's fair enough, I'm not so bothered about lane assist but I like the side assist. They are combined as an option and I can't get one without the other unfortunately.

Its personal of course but I cant stand latching and power door. Good I suppose if on a campsite and quiet is needed.... Also wil help resale I suppose as higher spec.

Deffo LED lights:thumbsup:
Cheers,
Ian:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm thinking about the misses using it. I may be selling her short but it could be useful for her. I'm still have mixed feelings about it tbh.

My partner has Tiguan and 1st thing I do when driving it is to switch off lane assist

Back