T6.1 LED grille-DRL: connections at headlight

Sean_uk03

VCDS User
VIP Member
Hi guys...

Quick question that someone may be able to help with hopefully... A friend has a set of DRL's in his bumper that seem to flicker/pulse when headlights are on and engine is running, they work as they should when engine is off.

Connections are as follows;

DRL Wiring;
Black - Negative.
Red - 12v+ (full brightness).
Blue - 12v+ (to reduce brightness when headlights on).

Connections are made at o/s headlight;
Black goes to Brown (pin 5).
Red goes to black/purple (pin 1).
Blue goes to yellow (pin 8).

Can someone confirm that this is correct and anyone else had any experience with this issue?? Could it be something to do with the bulb warning / diagnostics? (if so, would deactivating it solve the problem? I have access to VCDS but not sure where to find the function).

Thanks in advance.

Can you confirm headlamps type(H4, H7, LED)?

The wiring described above is incorrect.
Assuming halogen headlamps your RED wire should be connected to PIN 4 and BLUE wire to PIN 10.
BLACK one is correct -> PIN 5.

Additionally you might need to check your BCM coding, see below.

EDIT:
The above applies to T6 only.

Reactions: mmi
Thanks Robert, I’ll pop round his later and have a look.
I can confirm that the van is a T6.1 with halogen H7 bulbs.

Additionally, how do I access the BCM coding as I tried yesterday and I got an error message saying the BCM doesn’t support coding. I thought BCM changes were made through adaptions now?

1C3A53B8-E587-498E-9F13-33D41EAD0548.jpeg

Also just remembered I took pics of the headlight plug and noticed there is no cable connected in pin 10.

Picture of the DRL’s attached too.

1662E9C3-6448-4521-AF40-450B10D8FEF9.jpeg

591EF0FD-8EF1-4999-86F0-D07E3B8479C5.jpeg

0015E2CE-B53D-4950-A05F-5656B3046163.jpeg

I assumed incorrectly that you are asking about T6. Ignore my previous post altogether.

T6.1 BCM modifications are done via ADAPTATIONS and not via CODING.

Reactions: mmi
I assumed incorrectly that you are asking about T6. Ignore my previous post altogether.

T6.1 BCM modifications are done via ADAPTATIONS and not via CODING.
Thought so, I’m not familiar with the adaptions side of things so wouldn’t know what to look for in the adaptations drop down.

Any ideas on what the connections should be seeing as there is no pin 10?

Thanks for your help…

Blue goes to yellow (pin 8).
Yellow - pin 6?

To troubleshoot perhaps you could feed +12V (red,blue) to the DRL directly from battery positive - still flickering? Just to eliminate/confirm BCM wizardry on the lines.

Back