T6.1 Heated windscreen not working well

IslandLife82

VIP Member
T6 Pro
My 2020 T6.1 has a heated windscreen which doesn’t appear to work. It’s been into VW and they can’t find any obvious faults with it. The last vehicle I had with a heated windscreen would clear the screen in about 30 seconds. In the T6.1 if I turn off the blowers and turn on the heated windscreen it doesn’t seem to do anything as all.

I am curious as to how long it should take to clear morning condensation as opposed to defrosting ice?

my T6 screen will clear internal condensation in a min or so.

2mins ish is its external thin ice.

there are two fuses that run the screen left/right side.

as @Loz says . . . . . . has it worked before?

normal cause for non working screen is the cable/wire/lead not being connected at the base of the screen ion the plenum chamber

but if VW say its working . . . . . then? (they use a thermal imager to test it).

1636707040371.png

Last edited:
my T6 screen will clear internal condensation in a min or so.

2mins ish is its external thin ice.

there are two fuses that run the screen left/right side.

as @Loz has it worked before?

normal cause for non working screen is the cable/wire/lead not being connected at the base of the screen ion the plenum chamber

but if VW say its working . . . . . then? (they use a thermal imager to test it).

View attachment 136223

Thanks that makes sense. I bought the van in April this year so I have not needed to use the heated screen until now so I am not sure it it worked when new.

I checked the fuses and connections before king it to the dealer and it all looked ok.

The VW dealer told me I need to take it back and leave it with them overnight so they can test it in the morning when it had condensation on it. They clearly don’t have a thermal image camera.

I have one in work so I will check it myself today. Thanks for the tip, I hadn’t thought of that. Simple now you say it.

How fast it clears condensation will depend on the temperature of the screen and the ambient temperature.
If VW have measured the resistance of the heating circuits and supply voltage and it meets specification it’s possible your expectations are too high.
If VW don’t have specifications for the heating circuits they could compare with another van.

I was just going to ask about expectations in respect of the heated windscreen. Dont have a thermal camera but mine (on my T6.1) doesnt seem to work either.

05384060-CADD-42DE-B8C5-8820D7F020AA.jpeg862A13D1-5D7D-42D3-9FFA-194896783CAE.jpegSo the thermal camera show it is working. It got up to 18 degrees which is more than enough to defrost but i clearly just need more patience for clearing condensation.

Nice . . .

so your "expectations" was the issue . . . . . :slow rofl:

suppose your just have to wait a bit longer.

on a serious note, The T6 has a large screen, so maybe it takes longer than your other motor?

Thermal mass vs the heating wire capacity ?

i think each side has a 40a fuse . . . . so thats upto 80A of heating power !!

In the T6.1 if I turn off the blowers and turn on the heated windscreen it doesn’t seem to do anything as all.
How about trying with blower on? Engine running? Not sure how it's on T6.1 but on T6 quite a few functions turn off when blower is switched off (e.g. AC, parking heater, though never checked windscreen heater).

How about trying with blower on? Engine running? Not sure how it's on T6.1 but on T6 quite a few functions turn off when blower is switched off (e.g. AC, parking heater, though never checked windscreen heater).
Now I have used the thermal imaging camera I can confirm it does work with the blower off. I just need to lower my expectations for a £50k van vs a £10k fiesta :slow rofl:

If you've had a Ford with a heated windscreen you're going to be disappointed with VW's offering. Maybe our VWs have thicker glass or lower rated matrix......what ever it is it makes a big difference.

Takes a couple minutes to clear the windscreen when icy which is always quicker than the door mirrors and side windows so doesn’t really matter to me. Would rather let the van warm up for 5 minutes before driving off. Over all warm up time with the air con seems pretty quick to me but I’ve always owned vans.

If you've had a Ford with a heated windscreen you're going to be disappointed with VW's offering. Maybe our VWs have thicker glass or lower rated matrix......what ever it is it makes a big difference.
Is that comparing a Transit to a Transporter?

In my case, yes. The transit cleared thick ice after about 30 seconds. It's nearer three minutes for the Transporter.
Yep I see Ford have what they call quickclear now, Ford had the original patent for heated screens so they probably have quickclear under patent as well.

My 2020 T6.1 has a heated windscreen which doesn’t appear to work. It’s been into VW and they can’t find any obvious faults with it. The last vehicle I had with a heated windscreen would clear the screen in about 30 seconds. In the T6.1 if I turn off the blowers and turn on the heated windscreen it doesn’t seem to do anything as all.

I am curious as to how long it should take to clear morning condensation as opposed to defrosting ice?
Its not designed to remove condensation. Stop the condensation first before hand

Back