Heated windscreen failing

bluezie

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Well that's just typical! The 3 year warranty on my T6.1 ran out a couple of weeks ago, I fired up my van this morning in a heavy frost to find a 1 foot section of the heated screen has failed, on top of the other 2 single wires that had failed a while back.
Before I pull anything apart, or just ignore it, does anyone know why a big section has suddenly failed? I can see how individual wires could fail, but there must be around 30 in a row failed. How are the screens wired? Is it multiple 12V and ground connections, or just one 12V and ground, and all connections are internal to the glass? Obviously if the latter, there is bugger all I can do apart from replace the whole screen, but it would be great if there was something external that could be repaired!

How are the screens wired? Is it multiple 12V and ground connections, or just one 12V and ground, and all connections are internal to the glass? Obviously if the latter, there is bugger all I can do apart from replace the whole screen, but it would be great if there was something external that could be repaired!
Unfortunately not much to be repaired externally.
Have a look in the downloads section.
Screenshot_20240112_072059_Samsung Notes.jpg

Have you got windscreen cover from your insurer?
I pay €30.26 extra every year and my insurer pays for my windscreen replacement.
Screenshot_20240112_073233_Samsung Notes.jpg
In 2021 I was extremely unlucky and I had to replace my windscreen twice within a month.
Screenshot_20240112_073200_Samsung Notes.jpg

Thanks for the diagram! Looks like I'm just going to have to live with it until such a point that the screen gets broken, if that even happens.

Strictly speaking your windscreen is broken if the heating element is shot?

The screen is split into two heater sections as above.

With a very thin line separating them in the middle.

Have you got any pics...

If it was a fuse or other you would loose one half or both.

Screenshot_20240112_090544_Chrome.jpg

Mine did this after about two year, luckily it got replaced under warranty and has been ok since.

Mat

Well that's just typical! The 3 year warranty on my T6.1 ran out a couple of weeks ago!
Will VW not offer any goodwill warranty on the screen? You'd obviously need a dealer history on it and a bit of good cop bad cop and plenty patience!

Sounds like you've already had windscreen issues, so maybe use that as some leverage as well.

Once the above fails to get you anywhere, remain calm and go for a nice drive and heaven forbid you don't get hit by a flying stone.....

I really can't be arsed with fighting for it - My van has one independent dealer service, one done by myself, I've still not had the Bowden cables replaced under recall, as they have never frozen (yet). So the chance of goodwill are less than zero. my van is my livelihood, so booking it into a main dealer (which is an hours round trip away) for inspection is a big deal ,as it's a loss of earnings.
I can see me loosing hours and hours fighting it, a day's lost work for inspection, and still no goodwill outcome. I was hoping there may be a fix to a sudden block failure, but as suspected, the broken connections appear to be within the glass, as the majority of the NS section still works.

I really can't be arsed with fighting for it - My van has one independent dealer service, one done by myself, I've still not had the Bowden cables replaced under recall, as they have never frozen (yet). So the chance of goodwill are less than zero. my van is my livelihood, so booking it into a main dealer (which is an hours round trip away) for inspection is a big deal ,as it's a loss of earnings.
I can see me loosing hours and hours fighting it, a day's lost work for inspection, and still no goodwill outcome. I was hoping there may be a fix to a sudden block failure, but as suspected, the broken connections appear to be within the glass, as the majority of the NS section still works.
@bluezie fate has a way of sorting things out. Like above if windscreen was to become cracked then could it not be replaced like for like... Lots of other threads. Just make sure chip or crack not ok for a resin repair! Windscreen repair excess normally £50 or so is it not? Get repaired at home or place of work etc.... no downtime?

Back