T6.1 Heated Steering Wheel

mike2060

Hi, for my 2023 t6.1 I'd like to upgrade the steering wheel to heated unit. I saw this one in local fb group and am considering placing an order. Being new to all this automotive stuff I would like to ask for some advice. First and foremost, are you able to tell if this will be ok for t6.1 ? I'll try to get better pictures in the evening.

1706611640849.png

I've already seen and skimmed over the Pauly's Great Guide on steering wheel however he was using golf's wheel so I am not sure if my unit applies.

Seller is not sure of the source and year but assures me this is from either a caddy, multivan or even t6.1. Meanwhile I started reading if I need some other parts to install it. I've seen some comments in my native language that I may be missing 'a spider' or a 'retractor' (sorry for approximate translations). I am guessing it might be a slip ring, whatever that is. Basically I don't know the names of the things I could be missing, which drastically complicates the search.

For what I know at this moment is that the steering wheel itself looks exactly like my wheel from t6.1 - with the difference in the heating button and gear paddles.

The problem with upgrading to a heated wheel is getting power into the wheel

The slip ring is the name of the device that joins the wiring in the dash to the wiring in the steering wheel but as transporters never had the option of a heated steering wheel there simply isnt the connections in the slip ring to get power through (all the connections would be too small anyway to get enough electric through to power the heating element) this is why i was forced to replace the slip ring in mine

I went with the Golf 8 slip ring as it was the obvious first choice to try and luckily i was able to make it work so never investigated any others

That wheel looks identical to a 6.1 wheel so compatibility etc should be an issue as worst case you should be able to use your existing buttons on the new wheel, the issue will be getting a slip ring to work, i suspect you will be able to get a Golf8 to work as i did but you will be starting from scratch with the wiring and will need to suss out any rewiring/repinning of the wiring loom as required

Thanks for quick reply. My t6.1 is a california beach tour edition. If I recall correctly, I haven't seen any heated steering wheel option in the config. So that part may be true.

I checked your guide again and now understand whats that slip ring is for. You have used golfs ring with golfs wheel - any chance you remember if it will work with t6.1 wheel?

Today I while I was at my local dealer I got a chance to take a look at new multivan. As we all know its 'brand new base' etc etc BUT! The steering wheel looks surprisingly familiar. In fact I bet it might be taken from a passat or similar type. What is worth mentioning is that it has a heating and paddles. I'd really want to get the parts numbers for the slip ring and the wheel itself. Where should I look?

Today I while I was at my local dealer I got a chance to take a look at new multivan. As we all know its 'brand new base' etc etc BUT! The steering wheel looks surprisingly familiar. In fact I bet it might be taken from a passat or similar type. What is worth mentioning is that it has a heating and paddles. I'd really want to get the parts numbers for the slip ring and the wheel itself. Where should I look?
Have a look at these 2 posts by Pauly

Thanks, I went over them already. The thing is he used golf's wheel and I got a b8. And new multivan could have something else entirely.

Is there a place to look up compatible parts?

Thanks, I went over them already. The thing is he used golf's wheel and I got a b8. And new multivan could have something else entirely.

Is there a place to look up compatible parts?
The heated slip ring part number is listed in the post.

That’s the part number of a golf 8 slip ring, I will see what I can find for a multivan

Where can we look up the parts ? Any special catalogues? I mean if I got a wheel with numbers xxx and its from car model yyy then I could check what other parts that model has and hopefully locate a matching slip ring. Or... sell what I have and try to get the set from multivan. I expect some creative thinking still will be required to merry them together.

Btw @Pauly - is there a place on this forum to safely learn vcds ? I got one for myself - to help with the wheel - but it is not being picked up in autoscans. Module 16 is not communicating (airbag was fine), not to mention couple other modules throwing 0010 errors.

slip ring for multivan shows as 6RA 959 653 A
no other options

Reactions: mmi
weird as this looks like a standard slip ring with no heating option ?

Reactions: mmi
slip ring for multivan shows as 6RA 959 653 A
no other options
weird as this looks like a standard slip ring with no heating option ?
Leather heated multifunction steering wheel with DSG paddles seems to be option code 2FT. However, marked as standard on Life and Style trim levels. Perhaps VW didn't build/install a dedicated version of slip ring for non-heated MFSW - for once? :speechless:

vcds ? I got one for myself - to help with the wheel - but it is not being picked up in autoscans. Module 16 is not communicating (airbag was fine), not to mention couple other modules throwing 0010 errors.
Please post a full VCDS Auto-Scan (use option: Auto-detect (CAN only)).
AFAIK Multivan doesn't have dedicated controller (16) for steering wheel, instead all the functionality is handled by 19-Gateway.

EDIT: Oops! Not a "T7 Multivan"
2023 t6.1
Anyways, T6.1 does not have the controller 16 either.

Last edited:
Back