T6.1 Heated Steering Wheel

Pauly

VCDS User
Admin
Following on from my previous thread about installing a Golf R MK8 steering wheel

I had a heated steering wheel installed that wasnt connected so thought it was worth trying to get it working
I searched around for a compatible slip ring and soon found out the choices are slim so i took a punt and went for the slip ring from the same MK8 Golf R the steering wheel came from

Lets start at the beginning and see how its done, the above thread has details about removing the steering wheel so we are going to start from a bare slip ring

1-1.JPG

The top half of the steering column is clipped on and hinged at the rear, to remove it we have to start from the front and split the leading edge, i used the split on the left side to get a lever in and pop apart

1-2.JPG

then the top half will lift up and reveal the rear hinge

1-3.JPG

once you can see it you can see that you can pull the top piece forward and separate it

1-4.JPG

this reveals the two black screws on the front and the screw under the column by the column adjustment lever

1-5.JPG

with these out the lower plastics will come away

1-6.JPG

we need to unplug the slip ring

1-7.JPG

first you need to release the red plastic tab by pulling it down

1-8.JPG

then the black plastic tab needs to be pressed in to release the plug

1-9.JPG

with the cable unplugged the slip ring is ready to come off by removing the three silver screws

1-10.JPG

now your rocking this look

1-11.JPG

Last edited:
Now we can look at the golf setup, keep in mind this setup is specific to the Golf R/Rline with a heated steering wheel
The slip ring comes integrated with the stalks and has the overall part number of 5Q1 953 507 GA with an individual part number for the slip ring of 5Q1 953 549 F but this part is not available on its own so i bought the pair and split

2-1.JPG

to split them you just need to disconnect the two plugs and remove the same three screws as the 6.1 slip ring

2-2.JPG

2-3.JPG

now you have an individual slip ring that looks quite similar to the 6.1 unit but with a few minor differences
to start the central rear top plastic pin is fatter and longer (can be seen in the above picture) also the lower fixing point doesnt seat on the steering column properly and needs to be trimmed

2-4.JPG

to trim we need to remove the rear plastic cover, there are several clips around the outside that can be released one at a time working your way around the unit until the rear cover comes away, now we can trim the desired parts

1661115723282.png

the bottom screw hole needs to be cut flush and the top pin needs to be trimmed thinner to allow it to seat into the existing steering column hole

2-6.JPG

Once this is done the rear cover can be refitted and the unit is ready to be installed

The next piece we need to deal with is the wiring plug, the new unit uses a different connector and will need to be swapped

2-7.JPG

I tracked down the part number for the required plug as 5Q0972726
This has the additional pins to carry power for the heating element

IMG_4731.JPG

Last edited:
I realise this thread has stumbled a bit, unfortunately its been several weeks since i did this and im not 100% on the steering column plug connections
I remember that when i did the plug change initially it didnt work as i had a few of the pins out by one space on the plug layout, i have some notes on this but fear they are incorrect/pre fix so dont want to post them as cant be sure they are right

I will need to drop the steering column trims again and get some updated pics of the plug as it is connected now (correctly) but this means removing the wheel (again) which is getting retrimmed so may be a couple weeks until thats done/refitted ??

If anyone is impatient for the info heres my notes and pics of the process but cant be sure if this is pre fix or post fix ?? (i suspect pre fix ?)

What i can say is that the cables for power to the heated part of the wheel are separate to the inner connector plug shown below and go directly into the outer housing (not shown in the photos)

IMG_4722.JPGIMG_4723.JPGIMG_4724.JPGIMG_4732.JPGIMG_4733.JPGIMG_5505.jpgIMG_5506.jpg

Hi @Pauly
This is very interestint. I just fitted a new steering wheel for tiptronic and for hands on detection. The new steering wheel also has heating capatility and I was wondering how to get ths to work.
Your approach looks quite promising, but I do not know whether I want to make these modifications to the steering wheel column.

I have been thinking about using the existing KL30a and GND wire in the steering wheel. As I understood there is a relay in the steering wheel, which is controlled by the multifunctional keypad. I do not understand how the heating level is controlled. Can you tell me whether there the heating level is controlled using the power supply to the heating or whether it is done by the multifuntional keypad by triggering the relay?
And can you please do me a favor and measure how much current the heating is drawing? The problem with using the existing wires is, that they are smaller than the wires usually used for the heating.

There is no way to power the steering wheel with what you have, the ribbon connector/wires are too small to carry the current required, if you connect it up the way you are thinking I reckon you may see smoke and need to replace the slip ring

The way I have done it requires no modification to the van, i just fitted a chopped up golf8 slip ring and had to change the connector on the end of the wiring loom so I could plug it in, I can swap the plug and refit my original slip ring and everything would be back to factory

Pauly I managed to wire mine up but had to scrap the idea of mk8 slipring as it has two LIN BUS signals where ours (T6.1) has only one going to the wheel for the buttons etc. The other one is the updated CANBUS which our van doesnt seem to have. I went for 5Q0953569B slipring and after running few extra wires the wheel is on and toasty :D
But in my meantime my lane, light, sign assist systems got messed up so not sure if it was caused by the install or me messing around too much. Wont know until I visit VW in two weeks for them to recalibrate bits.

Pauly I managed to wire mine up but had to scrap the idea of mk8 slipring as it has two LIN BUS signals where ours (T6.1) has only one going to the wheel for the buttons etc. The other one is the updated CANBUS which our van doesnt seem to have. I went for 5Q0953569B slipring and after running few extra wires the wheel is on and toasty :D
But in my meantime my lane, light, sign assist systems got messed up so not sure if it was caused by the install or me messing around too much. Wont know until I visit VW in two weeks for them to recalibrate bits.
Thats good News Pauly !
Its a Awsome Funktion as my eife hate cold steering wheels in winter ,

There is no way to power the steering wheel with what you have, the ribbon connector/wires are too small to carry the current required, if you connect it up the way you are thinking I reckon you may see smoke and need to replace the slip ring

The way I have done it requires no modification to the van, i just fitted a chopped up golf8 slip ring and had to change the connector on the end of the wiring loom so I could plug it in, I can swap the plug and refit my original slip ring and everything would be back to factory
Hi Pauly can you tell me explain to me how to for the extra wires from the connector tonthe slip ring I have followed your upgrade mfsw with the haptic only the last part I missed how to wire the slip ring

There are only 2 extra wires and they carry power for the heating element
I’m not sure I understand exactly which bit you mean, What are you stuck with ?

There are only 2 extra wires and they carry power for the heating element
I’m not sure I understand exactly which bit you mean, What are you stuck with ?
Hi I mean on which position do the wires come in the connector to the slip ring with the handles

I've been looking at doing this and gathering parts. I looked at a slip ring with 5Q1 953 549 D part number, it has suffix 'd' at the end of the part number. This part is incorrect and luckily Pauly showed me an image of the suffix 'F' version which contains the connector location on the front face for the heating elements. @Pauly are you happy to share further details please? image of the correct slip ring below with highlighted heating connection.
1708682980029.png

Think the original one you looked at was a standard Golf8 slip ring and is for wheels that are not heated
The haptic/heated wheels go in the R model and use the slip ring with the F part number, just remember these are not normally available on there own but have to be bought with the stalks and then separated/modified to fit as per the details in this thread

Question for people who have done this, have you managed to work out coding for any indication on the dash that the heating is on, on either a std or a virtual T6.1 dash?
I know in the Touareg there is symbol that pops up on virtual dash, with 3 different heat settings depending how many times you press the button.

Post in thread 'Stan The Man's T6.1 Ascot Grey build'
Stan The Man's T6.1 Ascot Grey build

I got mine fitted and working but with 5q0 slipring, afaik 5Q1 is not compatible in Transporter due to different comms between the slipring and the car. 5Q0 used old way 2 canbus wire comms and 5Q1 single linbus. I tried the 5Q1 first and couldn’t get it to communicate at all. As soon as I press the wheel button the message comes up on dash as per pics in my thread. Also managed to get it to show on radio too.

I got mine fitted and working but with 5q0 slipring, afaik 5Q1 is not compatible in Transporter due to different comms between the slipring and the car. 5Q0 used old way 2 canbus wire comms and 5Q1 single linbus. I tried the 5Q1 first and couldn’t get it to communicate at all. As soon as I press the wheel button the message comes up on dash as per pics in my thread. Also managed to get it to show on radio too.
I agree, I have tried a 5Q1 also and can’t get it to talk to the gateway, not possible to activate group 16 steering wheel electronics. It physically works in the van though as it passes the lin through to the mfsw buttons.

Gonna try a 5Q0 at some point too.

what radio do you have fitted and have you got a picture of what it shows please?

I agree, I have tried a 5Q1 also and can’t get it to talk to the gateway, not possible to activate group 16 steering wheel electronics. It physically works in the van though as it passes the lin through to the mfsw buttons.

Gonna try a 5Q0 at some point too.
So to confirm, with the 5Q1, everything works ok, but it wont show the 'heated steering wheel on' symbol on the display?

Back