T6.1 '21 Discover Media - Very slow booting / starting of infortainment unit (again!)

secretK9agent

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Previously: Unit was restarting randomly, had WeConnect Primary User issues (see other post) and most frustratingly taking an age to boot up (nearly always and only on the first boot of the day - after hours "off").

After months of back and forth with VW they agreed to replace the 5F unit and SOS module. All issues vanished! until....

Now: Unbelievably after 4 months of it working flawlessly, the problem is back of slow boot.

Took to local VW for a bumper trim replacement. They assured me they did no updates and didn't "plug in" to anything, purely body work.

A massive coincidence I'm sure, but now at first boot of the day only, the infortainment system takes 5-10 mins to load.

If they are telling me the truth and they didn't plug in / do updates, I can only assume this is something to do with the "coding" and or retrofit digital dash.

Can't get it booked in with VW till Dec 4th, but this is just so bizarre and I know, understandably, VW will make clear they've replaced everything it has to be the dash.

Willing to pay for private diagnosis as I'm not convinced VW know what they're doing (they always have to phone VahHaven to get the dash and rear speakers working after any work). Any ideas from the technical wizards? I'm at a complete loss!!

Could this be related to an OTA update the 5F has done in the background
OR
Something related to VW scrapping the WeConnect app & replacing it with the VW app, have you changed a login on one of these?

This is just me thinking out loud having seen my 5F work well then start slowing down playing up for no apparent reason.

Could this be related to an OTA update the 5F has done in the background
OR
Something related to VW scrapping the WeConnect app & replacing it with the VW app, have you changed a login on one of these?

This is just me thinking out loud having seen my 5F work well then start slowing down playing up for no apparent reason.
That's a really, really good point.

Now,VW have told me that a recent over the air update is showing as "outstanding" (haven't seen anything pop up in vehicle like normal.

However, I would I have recently deleted WeConnect and reinstalled VW app, in fact I would say timing wise it's pretty much as I saw issues!!

Removed the VW app, checked the logins (all match and the same), unfortunately the same issue persists, 5-10 min boot up of the infortainment system on first start of the day only. Such a bizarre and infuriating issue.

I've logged a case again with VW but it was months for the "resolution" last time.

Interesting Update:

I tried to add another user account
At end of process it says "You can't perform this action as you have maximum privacy settings set"
This was while in the Primary User account which was set to lowest settings previously
Went into the "Privacy Settings" met with screen saying "Privacy settings not available at this time"

Deleted the primary user.
Tried to re-add primary user "It is not possible to add a Primary user due to the privacy settings"

Once again went into the "Privacy Settings" met with screen saying "Privacy settings not available at this time" again.

The unit was however syncing correctly.

I'd say this was the issue, something has gone very wrong with the unit while at VW and by looks of it I can't reset from unit.

Found this on an Audi Forum, may give it a go:

1000131990.png

Last edited:
Back