T5 Steering Wheel On A T6

Willy

Hi all, hoping for some help please. I have just bought a t6 kombi to replace my t5 caravelle, the caravelle has a leather steering wheel and the t6 has the crappy standard one .Can I swop them? If so will the air bag still work? Thanks in advance.

If it doesn't I'll be selling mine off my T6 Top spec Highline soon. All buttons and full leather with no marks or wear including air bag.

Ok thanks but my mrs will kill me if I spend any more cash. I'm assuming the wheel wont be cheap?

Not sure what to expect for it bud, I've bought a GTi wheel with paddle shift and hoping it fits and works as expected too. That's the only reason I'll be selling it on.

I've driven 30k miles with that wheel wouldn't look odd to me!! Also just spent loads of cash on a van, and the wheel is free.

Just read your post again.... has either of your vehicles got a multi functional steering wheel with all the buttons? i assumed that was the driving force behind the wheel swap (as it is for most people!) however if you just like the look of the T5 leather one and the only electrics is the airbag and the horn push, i guess it 'could' be swapped however unsure if the interconnects have remained standard over the years or if the airbag resistance differs and would throw a dash light on as a result. im not sure its something thats been done before.

No just the standard wheel. Couldn't find any threads on it. I'm sure someone has the answer, time will tell.

I've just removed this one from my T6
20200320-180837.jpg

and installed this one
20200317_165313.jpg

Trouble is I can't get it to recognise the buttons or paddles.........HELP !

I've just removed this one from my T6
View attachment 63527

and installed this one
View attachment 63528

Trouble is I can't get it to recognise the buttons or paddles.........HELP !
Are the buttons on the new wheel the same as the old one? Can you swap them so you have your old buttons in the new wheel. The DSG paddles will plug into your old buttons

i'M NOT SURE IF i CAN CHANGE THE BUTTONS, THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THE MODE BUTTON WHERE AS THE ONE ON MY ORIGINAL IS CNL

Sorry for shouting there, I'll pull it apart tomorrow to delve deeper

Back