Swivel seat retrofit

CRD

T6 Guru
I intend to retrofit swivel seat bases at some point. The front seats I have specced are heated, does anyone know of any potential issues with wiring to seats when seats are being rotated?
Most of the sftermarket bases I have seen have wiring access through the centre of the bases, just concerned of snagging or potential wiring damage.

I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem @CRD, mine have electric lumber support and have had aftermarket swivels fitted without issues. I can ask my conversion guy when I pick my van up on Saturday if you like?

Reactions: CRD
I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem @CRD, mine have electric lumber support and have had aftermarket swivels fitted without issues. I can ask my conversion guy when I pick my van up on Saturday if you like?
That would be great Walski, cheers.

@CRD, My conversion guy says no issues with heated seat wiring and fitting aftermarket swivels. Same as mine (not heated but electric lumber), he says you just need to make sure you swivel one way and then back the opposite way ie reverse the swivel on the way back rather keep turning the same way so the wire doesn't keep turning round and round.

So in short, you'll be fine

@CRD, My conversion guy says no issues with heated seat wiring and fitting aftermarket swivels. Same as mine (not heated but electric lumber), he says you just need to make sure you swivel one way and then back the opposite way ie reverse the swivel on the way back rather keep turning the same way so the wire doesn't keep turning round and round.

So in short, you'll be fine
Thanks for that Walski.

I am also fitting heated leather swivelling seats and my dealer has advised that the second battery has been fitted by the factory under the Passenger seat that will block the raising and lowering of the seat. Has anyone here had that issue.

Hi got factory fitted second battery and intended to fit after market swivels.
Main reason for this was due to factory swivelling seat do not have height adjustment.
So found that the base of the swivel will touch the rubber cover of the battery . The swivel could be spaced up by about 15mm and should then clear the battery and swivel fine.
I decided not to do this due to the missis only got little legs.
Put it back together and waiting for a manufacturer to solve the problem for me ,fingers crossed.

Hi got factory fitted second battery and intended to fit after market swivels.
Main reason for this was due to factory swivelling seat do not have height adjustment.
So found that the base of the swivel will touch the rubber cover of the battery . The swivel could be spaced up by about 15mm and should then clear the battery and swivel fine.
I decided not to do this due to the missis only got little legs.
Put it back together and waiting for a manufacturer to solve the problem for me ,fingers crossed.
Platform shoes for the missis?

Going to fit a Kiravans double swivel to mine, but being a panel van the bulkhead mount has to be removed with a grinder :cry:

I fitted the first of two Sportscraft swivels last week. 20 minute job, really easy. The instructions were all in German ( thanks Jennings) but it was obvious. The lever rattled until I put a sticky pad underneath it, but it seems quite solid.

I'm happy about the fitting @Scruffy , its just the cutting out of the bottom bulkhead lip to allow it to swivel im finding daunting.

Just a thought , once bulk head is out I think the "b" post lower plastic covers hide the L shape fixing brackets. If that are removed you would expose all the fixing bracket and you would see the spot welds. These may be able to be drilled out and the L brackets would be removed whole . Avoids using the grinder. Fingers crossed.

As said earlier over time just make sure that you always turn them the same way to avoid stressing the cables.

In our T5.1 we had a Sportcraft swivel on the passenger side and a Sportcraft safe / swivel on the driver with the had brake bracket modified so it is lower. Even then we can't apply the brake but its a DSG so no problem. They both need jacking up slightly from the driving position to swivel them. They both require a bit of lube occasionally and the drivers side has creaked occasionally - nothing to do with me :whistle:

However we have spec'd our T6 with OE swivels. We tried the non adjustable height and both (I am 6ft and Mrs VB is 5ft 4in) found it good. In the end they are cheaper and easier to operate.

Thanks @Stampie66
The ones behind the b pillar rant a problem as you are correct in saying they are spot welds.
It's the piece on the floor that will require some more care and thought to remove. I will have to make sure I have some fire blanket to ensure no spark damage and looks like the seats will need to come out to make it easier for access

Hi superflyguy, just wondering if you braved the sparks and cut out the bulk head supports yet or you may be waiting for November 5 ?

Hi superflyguy, just wondering if you braved the sparks and cut out the bulk head supports yet or you may be waiting for November 5 ?
Hi @Stampie66 havent got around to it yet.
I was told using an air saw works well and no sparks, even contemplated using cutting disc on my Dremel !!

Hey folks. I'm new here and don't YET have a T6. However I am in the process of speccing one...

I have a question about the seats. I want to spec a swivel seat for the front passenger but the configurator tells me I can't have drivers arm rests if I have a passenger swivel! Why so? Is it because the drivers arm rest gets in the way of the swivel seat? Am I better off retro fitting a swivel seat? Thanks in advance.

Back