Swivel seat retrofit

I think I've figured it out but it is weird.

There is an option to choose arm rest for drivers seat, but they actually come as standard. So I removed that odd option and now I can have a swivel seat. Thanks for the reply all the same.

Factory swivel seats are mutually exclusive with adjustable seat height. i.e. you can have one or the other but not both!

Aftermarket swivels, certainly Sportscraft, can be fitted under height adjustable seats but you must ensure that the seat is raised enough to clear the seat skirts when rotating. Aftermarket swivels usually need the handbrake to be lowered with a kit supplied by the swivel manufacturer.

Rod

Now that my swivels are fitted, the plastic trim at the rear of the seat base doesn't fit anymore. Does anyone know of a company who supplies replacement trims that will fit?

It's that, or I'm going to go all DIY on it's ass.

Now that my swivels are fitted, the plastic trim at the rear of the seat base doesn't fit anymore. Does anyone know of a company who supplies replacement trims that will fit?

It's that, or I'm going to go all DIY on it's ass.

The OEM ones don't fit particularly well. Lump of MDF with some carpet to cover looks better I think.

Without firing up an old chestnut which are the best aftermarket turntables please?

I've heard those supplied by kiravans are the best (no rock/rattle) but that was from an installer.

Two singles up front.

Thanks!

I've used Sportscraft in two campers that I have built (one other had factory swivels) and am just fitting them in the current conversion. There are now two types, one with the swivel nut facing down and one with it facing up. The upward facing type give a little more space for a leisure battery underneath.
My usual supplier is Jennings CVS Ltd, Isringhausen (ISRI) Truck Seats from Jennings CVS these seats are not cheap but seem to be bullet proof and not difficult to fit.
The driver'e one comes with a kit to lower the handbrake which does require adjustment of the handbrake cable under the van after you have fitted it. As far as I know all aftermarket swivels require the handbrake to be lowered, OEM swiveling seats are not height adjustable and have a higher 'skirt' thus allowing them to swivel over the standard handbrake.
OEM swivels on a T5 did not allow the seat to swivel without opening the door, maybe they will on a T6. However Soprtscraft ones can be swiveled without opening a door even the drivers one when you have mastered the technique!

Rod

As above, never used the RIB version.

The Sportscraft one with the nut below raises the seat up 28mm in height.

The one with the nut above raises it by 35mm.

Rod

This afternoon fitted a Kirivans double passenger swivel. Fairly straightforward as no fuse box under the seat just plugs and sockets. These stowed in the recesses under the mat. it also helps that the underside of the swivel is raised by about 10mm so the plugs and cables are not squashed. Had to cut off an earth stud in the floor as that projected too high. Assuming that would have been for auxiliary battery if fitted. Existing seat bolts have to be cut down also but the studs come out easily so it can be done on a bench. First real problem was that holes in swivel didn't line up: about 2mm out, so had to file them out. I've heard others have had same problem (Kirivans take Note!). Fitted seat back no problems.

Swivel works well but jeez it's a tight fit for the seat to get around. Quite a bit of pushing and pulling but it gets there in the end. Final problem was that the handbrake impinges slightly on the seat and lifts it up on one side making it difficult to get both locks in. I've heard it's OK if you release the handbrake but I'll have to wait till I'm not on my sloping drive to try that! By the way my drivers seat has armrests and it doesn't cause a problem just need to raise out of the way at the appropriate time.

I've just bought drivers and passenger sportscraft swivels the ones that give clearance for leisure battery either side for £264 All in with delivery thought this wasn't a bad price looking forward to fitting them , got them from Jennings seating
Our Seats : Accessories:

Last edited:
Hi andythom188, just some info about your swivels. If you have the v w leisure battery fitted from factory the battery terminals have the locking nuts which tighten the terminals to the battery . These nuts one face up and one at 45 degrees . Be careful if you take the rubber cover off the battery the swivel could touch the terminals and short out!
I would replace these to side tightening so the nuts are out of the way.

Hi andythom188, just some info about your swivels. If you have the v w leisure battery fitted from factory the battery terminals have the locking nuts which tighten the terminals to the battery . These nuts one face up and one at 45 degrees . Be careful if you take the rubber cover off the battery the swivel could touch the terminals and short out!
I would replace these to side tightening so the nuts are out of the way.
Hi I don't have the factory leisure battery fitted as mine was a stock van but thanks for the info :thumbsup:

I've just spend my T6 Kmobi with drivers heated seat only.
They wanted a small fortune to get my bench seat and drivers seat done.
These where retro fit so not from the factory.
My dealer has said that its activated via a button / switch on the base of the seat.
I didn't see the need to get the bench seat done as most of the time its going to be me in the van and coupled with will you always need the heated seats on... it need seem like it was worth extra cost!

Just a warning to those that have fitted the swivel seats, a short out under the seat if the wires get caught up or squeezed will give you a major electrical fault. I had just such a thing happen with Dealer fitted leather heated swivel seats. The things that blew out as a result were
Oil Sensor warning,
Air Conditioning,
rear camera,
rear turn indicators,
rear tail lights,
heated seats,

The VW Dealer fixed all at no cost thankfully.

Hi all. Looking at making my fixed single passenger seat a swivel. Kombi T6.
Is this a retro fit part that is added to the original seat and base or something a little more involved? I just have a standard seat.
Cheers

Great news thanks @superflyguy , I was looking at Sportscraft bases unless you can recommend any others?
As they seem quite straight forward to fit I may as well do drivers too, although I did read something about the handbrake positioning, so may just leave it be
and just do the passengers side.

Back