Swivel seat retrofit

Do it yourself mate. Really easy. Unbolt your chair, bolt the swivel plate to the seat base and then bolt the chair to the swivel. Drivers is a little more involved. Depending on which swivel you use you might need to lower the hand brake.

As @Deaky says; unbolt the seat, disconnect the airbag wire and heated seat wire, place the seat to one side. The swivel unit bolts to the chair base unit with 4 bolts. Lift the chair back on top and bolt it back to the runners. A bit more involved on the drivers side cos of the handbrake.
I have just ordered a kiravans offset swivel for the passenger seat which will be with me Thursday. I’ll do one of my step by step user guides when I fit it Saturday and post it up for you.
I promise it isn’t a difficult job.

This thread seems the best place to ask without setting up a new topic...

I need a passenger-side single seat base and plan to have my leisure battery under there, where the electrics come in.
Will a VW single with the built-in battery tray create any problems with fitting an Xtreme XR1750DC 110AGM battery under a VW swivel?
Battery measures
L 350mm W 174mm H 190mm

Hi got factory fitted second battery and intended to fit after market swivels.
Main reason for this was due to factory swivelling seat do not have height adjustment.
So found that the base of the swivel will touch the rubber cover of the battery . The swivel could be spaced up by about 15mm and should then clear the battery and swivel fine.
I decided not to do this due to the missis only got little legs.
Put it back together and waiting for a manufacturer to solve the problem for me ,fingers crossed.

Same problem: thought I'd be clever and ordered my T6 with the factory leisure battery..... when I asked the converters who fitted my Webasto to fit their swivels to my front seats (1+1), they couldn't, saying that their swivel wld not clear there battery (they suggested removing the factory setup and replacing with a flatter one (£££!).

Did you come up with a solution? Are there some swivels available that will enable me (preferably) to fit to at least the passenger side w/o disturbing the factory 2nd battery?

Posting here to avoid a new thread, of course. Thank you.

Bit of a follow up on both the heated seats and the house battery underneath. I have what I thought were factory fitted VW heated swivel seats and the house battery under the passanger seat.

At about the 12 months point the swivel seat snagged the wiring for the heating of the seat and this in turn took out half of my other electrical systems and threw the whole vehicle into the limp mode and messed with the engine management systems as well. Its a wonder it did not set off the airbags in the seat.

Initially VW did not want to have anything to do with me as I had added a pop top to the vehicle. After some protracted arguments on what was and wasnt touched in the conversion, they agreed that their own wiring was poorly fitted and had caused all the problems and they fixed it all.

A good look at what and wasnt involved in the seating showed that they had actually fitted spacers under the seat to gain height. During this operation they had not properly secured all the wiring and that in turn caught during a swivel of the seat. Now I dont know if it was a factory fitting or the dealer has messed with them however, all wires are now well tied up and out of harms way.

Garry, interested in your swivel seats. Did you order them through VW, as a factory part?
I have an aftermarket swivel seat that my pop top converter in Perth did and I don't like it at all.
I had to modify the seat rail so it span, its too high, it rocks and squeaks and is hard to operate unless you are sitting in it.
My inlaws have a T6 camper that was converted in a Sydney based company and apparently they use VW factory seat swivels. They are smooth, low and simple to use.

As explained above, I thought they were factory fitted as I had ordered them with the vehicle but the dealer, Bayford VW in Epping Victoria I now suspect fitted them due to the wiring problem I had. I much st admit the passenger one is quite high but necessary to fit the house battery underneath which is near impossible to get to with the seat in place.

Just a quick note that if anyone finds that after fitting the sportscraft swivel base that the seat is too high (The wife could not fully depress the clutch) that Jennings do a lower seat base with handbrake bracket. Its a bit basic in design but does the job.

Had a sports craft swivel on order for over a year now - from Veedub, I don’t think these seats exist.....
Is there any other makes you guys could recommend from a retailer that actually has them in stock

after fit heated swivel seats were is the best place to fit the switches.

We have them on the plastic trim panel inboard on each seat... i’ll Take a photo later!

Reactions: TC1
Sorry to dig up and old thread....

Sports craft swivals, are the passenger side ones the same as the drivers side (ignoring the separate h/brake bracket of course)?

I‘m thinking of getting the driverside one for leisure battery but swapping my existing passenger side so I can eventually fit a leisure battery on the passenger side

Yes the actual swivel fitting is the same except that you have the optional version of the large swivel fitment being upwards to give extra clearance for a battery, i.e. either type can be fitted on either side.

Last edited:
Back