Swarf rust spots above barn doors

SUPDub

Hi all

I have recently purchased my dream T6 campervan - this forum was so helpful in finding the right one.

Yesterday I gave it a first proper clean, polish and wax. We also used some Chipex on a couple of stone chips thanks to the recommendations on here. Whilst wiping the gulley above where the rear barn doors close I noticed some little rust spots on the paint.

I wondered if anyone could please advise how I treat this? I have some iron x iron out in the cupboard. From reading other threads I wasn’t sure if I should use this or Kurust. The paint work is hidden so the finish isn’t that crucial.

Grateful for any advice.

A1A13109-229D-4B95-8D54-B380588B888F.jpeg

B44A71E5-2B5F-4AE1-9B74-65A4031D4402.jpeg

That will be metal chippings sat on the paint from when the converter was cutting the massive hole in your roof for the pop up top. You just need something like Farecla G3 cutting compound (nothing aggressive) to remove the staining. Be carefull as you still have those tiny metal chippings on the paint so what ever cloth you use, thrown it away afterwards as you don't want them scratching your paintwork elsewhere.

Thanks so much for that.

I have teacut and some iron x in - do you think either of them are suitable or would you recommend I get the G3 compound?

I had to google Iron X to see what it was! From the description that's exactly what it's designed for so I'd give it a go although I suspect it's mostly for the dust you get from the brakes rather than metal fillings and chippings. T-Cut is an alternative to G3. The key thing you're trying to do is remove the metal chippings. They were probably stuck in the grime and I expect you've cleared most of it away when you cleaned the gully. It looks like the Iron X is less aggressive than T-Cut so try that first but I expect you'll need the T-Cut.

Thanks again.

Before I saw your message I started with the T-cut and I managed to get most of it off!

There are just a couple of bits left behind the edge of the door frame seal which I couldn’t quite get enough elbow grease into to shift because of the door seal.

I’m wondering how to shift that now...

This has just rocked my world lol. The seal pulls off easy? What and then the seal just pops back on? I don’t know if I’m cut out for this level.

This has just rocked my world lol. The seal pulls off easy? What and then the seal just pops back on? I don’t know if I’m cut out for this level.
Yep, pulls off and just pushes back on as easily.

Do you have an elevating roof? If so its where the van was not protected adequately when fitting and swarf, filingsl etc have landed amd started to rust. We see it all of the time, not a problem when you collect your van after roof fit but a few weeks/months later rust!! This is why we spend an hour covering each van before cutting. Corner cutting unfortunately.

You can use cutting compound to remove the worst of it but likely it will come back depending on how far its gone into paint finish, but not as bad. Remove seal and thoroughly compound and polish after and just keep on top of it.
Shame to see this.:mad::mad:.
All the best,
Ian

Back