Posted by Pauly
Brook Meadow
Friday, 17 July, 2020 - 09:00
Until: Sunday, 19 July, 2020 - 17:00
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Not been around for a while... just seen this and looks like my cup of tea :thumbsup:
Will double check dates with her indoors. Apologies but will be bringing the kids :whistle:

I am interested in this event. Hopefully my van will be finished by then. Please add my name to the list and WhatsApp Group.

Morning people.
I've sent an email to our normal site to see if they plan on opening if the government do allow sites to re-open on the 4th of July as planned.
I've deliberately left this until much nearer the time on the basis that although dates for further relaxing of different sectors are within the governments next steps, we just don't know exactly how things will pan out between now and July (the planned re-opening of schools that has now been reversed have proved how delicate this roadmap is) so I thought it prudent to not plan anything too far in advance.
However, 1 month before, I feel is a good time to restart talks with members to see how people feel in general about this.

Apart from the obvious opening of sites question that no one can answer until the next steps are announced, I'm wondering if many of you will be unsure about a gathering in July, even if the government say it's safe to do so.
When I started the Rutland weekend last year, we were obviously in a different world, so none of this was a consideration. 2019 proved very popular, and the 2020 list of people has grown even bigger.
As the person that organises this event, I feel a certain responsibility to those who attend, so you can see my dilemma given where we are at the moment. Yes we are a sensible bunch of adults, and yes with some organising, we can stick to what ever the current regulations are put in place, but is this going to knock off the edge of what was a fantastic weekend last year? Are we doing the right thing by organising a potential large group event? Even if this is delayed, how long is long enough before it's comfortable? All questions in my noggin, that are better put out in here to bounce off those that want to attend.

I know we are all ready for some kind of small normality, and we all miss the fantastic meets we arrange through the forum, but Rutland is for everyone, and everyone needs to voice opinions for me to decide what to do.

Last edited:
I’m in. We can still socially distance. Ed’s fit well be doing serious walking. Look forward to a pint with you guys.
If anyone wants to hike around the area I can sort out a route. Just depends on distance.

I'm in.
Just need to hear how the toilet situation will be handled.

Right... The site have just got back to me and it's not good news.

They are opening in July, however....
Due to the new rules given by the government that they have to comply with, they will not be opening any facilities for the foreseeable future. They request that anyone using the site will only be able to do so if they are totally self sufficient, this includes not allowing any kind of toilet emptying. Also, no tents are allowed on any site for the foreseeable future, all units have to be pitched at a minimum of 6m apart, no groups are allowed to pitch in circles anymore, and no groups are aloud to congregate round pitches anymore
I think as most campers cannot abide by these very strict rules, that this pretty much puts a stop to any weekend meet for July, and for as long as these rules apply.

I will of course keep an eye on the situation and as soon as we are back to normal, if that ever happens, I will organise another weekend.

On a personal note, if this is the guidance that's been sent to sites across the UK, then this will be devastating for sites and doesn't give a very positive indication of the future of camping in general.

Gutted.

Hopefully they’ll amend the rules soon though, when they realise they’re making it up as they go along. Why is camping less safe than, say buying a pair of trousers, or shopping in John Lewis? Surely they’ll have to open the toilets in the shops aswell?

On a personal note, if this is the guidance that's been sent to sites across the UK, then this will be devastating for sites and doesn't give a very positive indication of the future of camping in general.

It's not just the future of camping. It will be the end of humanity, literally, if we can't socially interact!

So there has to be a way out of it.

Think common sense will have to come into play. If things continue to go 'well' over the next three weeks I think the government - judging by current approval ratings - will look to come out of lock down in a bigger way. I would expect to see the 2m rule relaxed to 1m (although i will look to maintain at least 2m wherever possible - especially with the wife). I would also expect them to use any good news as a justification to go back on the international quarantine business and for things to become closer to normal. It will be an experiment - to see what happens - but what else can we do?

Think common sense will have to come into play. If things continue to go 'well' over the next three weeks I think the government - judging by current approval ratings - will look to come out of lock down in a bigger way. I would expect to see the 2m rule relaxed to 1m (although i will look to maintain at least 2m wherever possible - especially with the wife). I would also expect them to use any good news as a justification to go back on the international quarantine business and for things to become closer to normal. It will be an experiment - to see what happens - but what else can we do?

I think you’re right, and to an extent it may be a little of ‘saving face’ as questions would be asked if they just lifted the restrictions. The public need to gain confidence first.

I think it should be down to the individual to ensure they wear masks, gloves, sanitiser etc when they use shared toilet facilities.

To simply shut down the toilets/showers and say it's self-contained campers/caravans only won't help to open any of these buisnesses.

But if that's the guidance given to them by the government and their trade organisation then that's what they'll have to do.

I was hoping there would be a more pragmatic approach such as -

You have 200 campers with 10 toilets and 10 showers, 2 or 3 members of staff on constant rotation for a 12 hour shift.

Each camper gets a 15 minute timed allocation for showering and then 15 minutes to wipe down/disinfect/time slippage, 10 shower cubicles would get you something like 20 showers per hour. Over the course of 12 hours you would/should get 200 showers.

Maths are not my strong point, but surely something like this would work, they are having to allocate slots for check-in, so it must be doable.

Or charge a premium for people that want to use facilities to cover the above staffing costs?!

I think it should be down to the individual to ensure they wear masks, gloves, sanitiser etc when they use shared toilet facilities.

To simply shut down the toilets/showers and say it's self-contained campers/caravans only won't help to open any of these buisnesses.

But if that's the guidance given to them by the government and their trade organisation then that's what they'll have to do.

I was hoping there would be a more pragmatic approach such as -

You have 200 campers with 10 toilets and 10 showers, 2 or 3 members of staff on constant rotation for a 12 hour shift.

Each camper gets a 15 minute timed allocation for showering and then 15 minutes to wipe down/disinfect/time slippage, 10 shower cubicles would get you something like 20 showers per hour. Over the course of 12 hours you would/should get 200 showers.

Maths are not my strong point, but surely something like this would work, they are having to allocate slots for check-in, so it must be doable.

Or charge a premium for people that want to use facilities to cover the above staffing costs?!
I'd have thought that if you have onboard facilities then you must use these. If you don't you get given a key/code to the toliet/shower block which would limit numbers significantly to enable a robust cleaning process. In all honesty I just can't see sites opening with no facilities available.

A key/code would get abused, just allocate the time slots accordingly.

"Your name's not down, you're not coming in" kinda thing worked well for many years in clubs.

Sites make good money from people camping in tents, to completely shut off all tents and sleeper vans will mean it won't be worth opening up at all.

Hi @Tourershine ...morning...been waiting to see if any forum events are going ahead ( we re-booked for St Just same W/E ) so that too could be in doubt...you mentioned no tents ( rules are rules ) does that apply to awnings/sun canopy/toilet shelter , this may be odd thing to ask as clarity is need but unless your in the know it’s all up in the air....we like most people have put in place steps to ensure that we can be self sufficient ..even thinking about showers, invested in the giant bath wipes as a temp measure....so if you via any of your contacts do see things changing soon ( or as they do ) would you pass it on to all ( sorry that goes without saying ) we are all at present in same boat ( van ) Confused

I don’t understand the government’s policies on relaxing lockdown now. How can it be safer to allow stores like Ikea (we all saw the ridiculous queues) but not allow things like safari parks to open where you don’t even get out of your car. (Not that I would go to one though.)

just allocate the time slots accordingly.

"Your name's not down, you're not coming in" kinda thing worked well for many years in clubs.
So you'd have to plan your day and activities around what time slot you were allocated? The worlds gone mad :(

Back