Stockwell Camper - Van conversion

Thanks Ollie, I have looked through your thread a couple of times for inspiration. I think if the van isn’t in a usable “finished” position by this season the Mrs will not be impressed

We were itching to get some of the 12v components wired in to check it is all working ok and take a step towards a converted van feel, the USB socket is wired in and working on the C pillar and we have made the wiring loom up for the down lighters and all seems to be functioning correctly.

View attachment 107243
Roof panels are just thrown up at the moment with the clips we had to hand as it will need to come back down when fitting the kitchen. Turns out there is a bit of a knack to getting these panels up, start on the middle clips and work outwards! This is why the red panel is not fitting as well as the front panel at this stage.

View attachment 107246
what are you using as a trim between rear carpeted panel and oem front section as most van conversion roof sections have an unsightly gap

@3crispies we are using the original trim strips once the roof goes up properly. The middle trim strip is carpeted and we have longer clips to go with it, the front trim will stay as it is and go back up.

We cut new ply panels for the van but bought the roof pre cut from Custom Shop Designs and checked that it was extended at the front end to cover the gap you are talking about.

We got a few more of the panels carpeted this weekend and a USB socket and 240v plug installed in the small panel on the C pillar, these are yet to be wired up but we are getting close.

Due to needing to wait another 6-8 weeks for our kitchen units we are thinking we will run the wires for the down lights and temporarily fix the headlining panels up with our old trim clips so that we can enjoy the van whilst we wait.

View attachment 104959

View attachment 104960
What route did you take your 230v cable from the rcd?
I am trying to put a socket in the same place but struggling to find a route that doesn’t make the cable seen.

Brilliant thread this!
just signed up to T6 Forum today after using it several times for info just searching online.
looks like my Sundays are now going to be spent reading posts like this until we can actually get away in the van!
Keep it going though look forward to the finished job.

Thanks @DUSTINDUBZ

@fidav our consumer unit is not yet sighted in the van however I have run the cable from this single 230v socket in preparation. The cable goes up the C pillar and forward towards the sliding door, there is then a hole that you can bring the cable through, we used some plastic conduit to make sure it is well protected. The cable then runs straight across the roof and down the drivers side to above the rear D pillar, from here we have routed it down and back out of the pillar in the upper part of this panel.

We will then connect this to the double socket that will be mounted on this panel, another cable will exit the double socket, back to the D pillar and down the the consumer unit in the bottom part of the rear panel.

Hopefully this helps;

541558E1-1C5B-4F8C-AD97-1C7B450E77F6.png

It does thanks. I was trying to take mine up the drivers B pillar to then come down the drivers C pillar but can’t get it round the B pillar corner. Eventually found a route through the B pillar under the seat belt (hole in the frame there) then under the driver rear window and out the C pillar. Also ran it through conduit.
My hands are shredded now !
Thanks

I am also shredded this morning! Set out this weekend to install my hook up socket under the rear bumper, after fighting to try and remove the bumper and discovering that some of the clips were hidden by the bumper protector I reverted to putting the socket under the bonnet.

Ideally I always wanted it under the bonnet but thought the rear bumper spot was an easier option, had to remove all my hard work again and dismantle the cab to run the cable through the bulkhead and under the drivers seat. Then took the route that you mentioned through the B Pillar and out of the hole at the bottom, much happier with this install and I think if I went behind the bumper I would have just been taking the easy/lazy option.

I have used the plastic split conduit in some areas and also the braided nylon stuff where the cable goes through the bulkhead grommet and through the B pillar.

Just waiting for the kitchen to turn up now........ :/

Looking at your pictures of your barn doors you seem to have ( like I have ) holes in the metalwork from old ply fitting. I also have some slight dents. I have thought of filling said dents / holes and carpeting over the whole door to cover these. Not sure about any long term peeling. Any thoughts ?

I still haven’t figured out a plan for the small holes, looks like the previous owner didn’t care about the van as much as we do and as you say just attached the panels with screws.... I don’t like the look of the carpeted doors so won’t be going down this route, let me know if you think of any good alternatives?

Progress on the build has pretty much halted over the past few weeks, we have run the 230v cabling ready to go but are now waiting on the kitchen turning up in the next few weeks, then it will be full steam ahead.

In the mean time we have continued to fork out money and bought ourselves a set of new alloys and brake discs and pads all round!!

38ABAE61-AFF2-4920-B22B-6E6FE977E8DE.jpeg

Looking really good. Wheels nice touch. Don’t tempt me to part with more cash! Re the doors I looked at the full length ply panel (plyworx etc) but I have already fitted the kirivans rear door storage panels which I find useful for dog leads bike tat etc. Another option might be the vanshades blinds that cover the metal frames but would have to do the side windows as well. Ching £. Maybe a DIY fill and respray with Halfords silver as according to other forum members is a good match. I know I’m going to regret asking but are those 18 inch as they are really nice looking?

We got a few more of the panels carpeted this weekend and a USB socket and 240v plug installed in the small panel on the C pillar, these are yet to be wired up but we are getting close.

Due to needing to wait another 6-8 weeks for our kitchen units we are thinking we will run the wires for the down lights and temporarily fix the headlining panels up with our old trim clips so that we can enjoy the van whilst we wait.

View attachment 104959

View attachment 104960
How is this panel attached at the top ? Any chance of a photo.
I’ve cut out séparer panels for thé top but trying to work out how to attach as there is now carpet over all the possible holes !!

Looking really good. Wheels nice touch. Don’t tempt me to part with more cash! Re the doors I looked at the full length ply panel (plyworx etc) but I have already fitted the kirivans rear door storage panels which I find useful for dog leads bike tat etc. Another option might be the vanshades blinds that cover the metal frames but would have to do the side windows as well. Ching £. Maybe a DIY fill and respray with Halfords silver as according to other forum members is a good match. I know I’m going to regret asking but are those 18 inch as they are really nice looking?

Yes 18" wheels, weighed up going for the 20s but decided it would look a bit over done for us and we wanted to maintain some comfort level. We will be looking to lower the van slightly in the future but not sure how much or using what just yet....

How is this panel attached at the top ? Any chance of a photo.
I’ve cut out séparer panels for thé top but trying to work out how to attach as there is now carpet over all the possible holes !!

This is the only photo I could find of this part of the van without the small panel installed, hope this is what you were after.

61CC5293-62BC-4553-B844-EC42C17099A0.jpeg

Hi there, thanks for describing your cable route as I didn't have a clue how I was going to do mine and I didn't know about the factory earth either it's helped me alot. Cheers.

Thank-you for everyone's feedback, the project still hasn't moved along much in the last couple of weeks but our kitchen units from Evo Motion Design should be arriving in the next couple of weeks so we can start to really take a step forward!

Keep your eyes peeled for updates :D

Love the 18's wouldnt harm to have more pics of them......

We have had the notification today that our Evo Motion kitchen units and fridge are on their way to us, hopefully we should have some significant updates in the next couple of weeks to the project and really take steps towards getting it ready for use!

@david173 new picture for you :cool:

47b3f05d-a2bc-46e6-b75f-01cfdce8c2b4.jpg

Back