Stockwell Camper - Van conversion

Hi @Stockwell Camper great thread. I'm very similar stage to you, went for few nights last week in unfinished van. Using the old panels as want to get kitchen in before cutting socket holes and what have you in new panels.

I ordered our evo kitchen on 22 feb and feeks like might be getting close. When did you put your order in?

@Graeme_B we put our order in on 3rd Feb, it said at the time 8-10 weeks for delivery but we have gone past that now but really happy to hear it is on the way! I am away with work at the moment so its been a bit of a pain to organise the delivery but I think it should be in my garage by 5pm on Monday!

Lots of work for me when I get home..... :D

Sounds good @Graeme_B, we have contacted our local converter today to get booked in for a SmartBed fitting. When they only charge £150 for fitting and can get it 3-4 weeks quicker than I can it seems like the best option! Just need to get cracking on the units when I get home.

So I heard from evo, looks like i will need to scribe the units due to my twin slider. On the plus side at least they have given me an expected delivery date of 2-3 weeks! Too late for scotland but at least can work around it.

@Graeme_B good to hear you have a delivery date, we had some issues with our local pallet delivery company and I was working away at the time but managed to get it all sorted on the 3rd attempt!

Really impressed with the kit and have been meaning to/will write a build write-up on here. Currently the two parts are sat inside our house ready to go in the van, I had a few small jobs to do around the kitchen such as final cable pulling before I can install it so now just trying to find the time to get the units in....

Last weekend we took down the headlining, removed our insulation/sound-deadening in 4 places and then bonded some wooden blocks to the van roof to act as foundations for the overhead locker and light shelf.

I will get some info and pictures up later today

We are booked in with our local fitter for the SmartBed in 8-10 weeks :( but I am keeping on their case as I have only had verbal confirmation over the phone so far and would feel more comfortable with a date in the diary and an accompanying email

@Graeme_B good to hear you have a delivery date, we had some issues with our local pallet delivery company and I was working away at the time but managed to get it all sorted on the 3rd attempt!

Really impressed with the kit and have been meaning to/will write a build write-up on here. Currently the two parts are sat inside our house ready to go in the van, I had a few small jobs to do around the kitchen such as final cable pulling before I can install it so now just trying to find the time to get the units in....

Last weekend we took down the headlining, removed our insulation/sound-deadening in 4 places and then bonded some wooden blocks to the van roof to act as foundations for the overhead locker and light shelf.

I will get some info and pictures up later today

We are booked in with our local fitter for the SmartBed in 8-10 weeks :( but I am keeping on their case as I have only had verbal confirmation over the phone so far and would feel more comfortable with a date in the diary and an accompanying email

Great to hear you're impressed with your EVO. I'm another one in the queue. Looking forward to your updates!

Ok, finally getting round to a bit of an update!

Our Evo Designs kitchen was delivered whilst I was away with work so over the last 2 weekends we have put it together and are now in the throes of getting it installed in the van. This project seems to be an art of pre-planning when things are going to happen and then doing them all in one go!

Kitchen arrived after some delivery issues and I was in the door less than 5 minutes after a 4 week trip away before we had emptied the boxes in our living room, queue huge piles of bits and a bit of concern that we had one hell of a job ahead of us.

01E49352-CABB-4577-AABE-4ACD80D3822E.jpeg

FC4BF086-B4EC-49DF-9D35-8FD3A0D8DB61.jpeg

You may notice our chosen colour scheme is very similar to our house, building a home from home in the van...

Everything went together smoothly and it is a very high quality kit, we do seem to have 1 or 2 small brackets missing but we can work around that and we have 1 extra board that we have no idea where it belongs but have emailed EVO to ask

58D0C266-F85B-4A60-8D6C-02BA0DF7D367.jpeg

More to follow!

Next step, test fit and see where things line up;

14EFC1E0-6F01-4068-9261-0904E70AB097.jpeg

F6F156EB-BF3F-4413-B8A2-FD1F678DB39B.jpeg

It’s all pretty tight but fits snugly against the van, takes a bit of convincing to get it in to the correct position and there are gaps down the back of the units at the back of the shelves. Very pleased with how it looks in position.

A4F39C35-2183-48F3-8B30-29827EC30E24.jpeg

Marked up positions on the window surround for placement of sockets and switches, this panel will be carpeted and gives a nice clean finish and easy cable routing options for us.

As with everything on this project, 2 steps forward 1 step back... roof lining back down so that we could bond wooden blocks in place to support the over bed locker and light shelf.

Evo stick Sticks Like Sh*t and some lengths of timber to hold the blocks in place over night.
Roof lining went back up pretty easily for the first time, we discovered that starting with the middle clips and working outwards definitely helps!

82802440-8A09-4A85-B028-90079FB8FAB2.jpeg

Cut holes in the drivers side ply panels for cable routing, got them carpeted and up, feeling very pleased with progress at this point;

A7E4BF20-5E32-4339-872E-4CA2B3509D9D.jpeg

Had some help finalising the 240v system, I knew what I wanted to do with it and my brother is a qualified electrician and made it look easy. We now have working sockets in the van, picture for evidence otherwise it didn’t happen.

ED74972F-2282-40B5-9E84-A4FE328BF808.jpeg

Should have ran the earth cable before installing the final ply panels but not too worried as it all earths through the van eventually anyway! Going to add an additional earth post however so that I have only 1 connection on the -ve of my 12v fuse box, the earth post will have the -ve from my leisure battery, 240v system, battery charger and a short lead to the 12v fuse box. This is all earth through the factory earth behind the rear panel on the drivers side as well as under the leisure battery under the drivers seat.

End of play today the units are back in the van in position, need to try and hang up the shelves next and not sure how easy it is going to be to find my wooden blocks through the headlining. Also need to decide on a way to attach the units to the van, did think about rivnuts but decided against it and going to use metal brackets in a lot of spots.

How did the carpeting go?

Started on running the cable for our water pump to the switch tonight but have had to order some more cable protection on eBay, also got a few brackets on the rear unit to the floor.

A few more steps in the right direction over the weekend, the units are now fitted properly in the van using metal brackets, wood screws and self tappers. Managed to find my wooden blocks bonded to the roof without punching a screw through the metal work and both shelves feel solid (although only to be used for light items).

IMG_4104.jpg

IMG_4103.jpg

Test fitted the fridge which so far has been the biggest let down from the Evo Designs order, it is the single most expensive item we have bought for the van and there are two small areas of damage on it. Along with this when we tried to swap the door hinges over to have it open to the left we found that 3 or 4 of the screws stripped when removing them, for a unit that is the best part of £600 this felt really poor quality! Maybe it is just the one that we have, anyone else have any issues with the Dometic CRX50?

As you can see, when "installed" it looks really good....

IMG_4094.jpg

And then last night I wired in the dimming light strips on both of the shelving units, we were REALLY impressed with these the photos do not do it justice as to how good the light that they put off is and the one-touch dim up/dim down functionality is seamless and will be really useful (and looks flash). I didn't have enough fuses for my fusebox to have all of the lights on at once to show the full disco effect so waiting on these from Amazon today.

IMG_4109.jpg

Looking good @Stockwell Camper
Our kitchen coming today so nice to hear the LED shelf is a winner. We decided against the head board as we have swb we'd prefer the head space when in bed!

Amazing build thread @Stockwell Camper

Could you let me know what specification your kitchen units are? I believe they’re very similar if not exact to what I’d like to order from EvoMotion.

Is this the Evo 2.4 kitchen / wardrobe units?

Also what colour is the unit?

Thanks everyone for the good feedback, really pleased with how it has come together :)

The LEDs were supplied by Evo Motion with the kitchen units but are branded as Hafele, I just cut the plugs off and wired these directly to my 12v fuse box.

It is the Evo 2.4 kitchen with LED light recesses and light shelf with doors. We went for the grey metallic colour I think it was with the bamboo work top

Back