Caledonian Campers and Conversion Ltd - Liquidation.

manicism

VIP Member
Just letting members know incase any in the same boat as me, and now no longer have their 5 year warranty to fall back on, as appears the company has ceased trading operations.

Turned up this morning to pre arranged visit to have minor snagging works from my van conversion carried out. Found the yard and premises in Clydebank, Glasgow to be locked up and the yard to have no vehicles at all in it.

After a bit of digging discovered the courts have placed them in provisional liquidation, with liquidator appointed on the 30th November. Have now spoken to the liquidator who has confirmed the situation.

Hope no-one is waiting a deliver of a van from them or paid a deposit etc for any works.

Other than minor snagging and issue with deiseal heater, the quality of the conversion they did for me was very good. Frustrating to learn this today.

That is a shame. We bought a Caledonian Campers converted van in August this year. I think the conversion was done around 2 years ago. I was not particularly aware of any warranty even if it does transfer to subsequent owners. So that does not really bother me. I have not had any real trouble with the conversion although had to fix a few rattles and a couple of cupboard door hinges. Although I am happy with my van I do think that, with some experience now, the conversion was moderate at best and shows lack of attention to detail and design in quite a few areas.

Last edited:
Just letting members know incase any in the same boat as me, and now no longer have their 5 year warranty to fall back on, as appears the company has ceased trading operations.

Turned up this morning to pre arranged visit to have minor snagging works from my van conversion carried out. Found the yard and premises in Clydebank, Glasgow to be locked up and the yard to have no vehicles at all in it.

After a bit of digging discovered the courts have placed them in provisional liquidation, with liquidator appointed on the 30th November. Have now spoken to the liquidator who has confirmed the situation.

Hope no-one is waiting a deliver of a van from them or paid a deposit etc for any works.

Other than minor snagging and issue with deiseal heater, the quality of the conversion they did for me was very good. Frustrating to learn this today.
I’m in shock … I’ve paid a deposit and was awaiting an update. Would you mind telling me how I contact liquidators?

I’m in shock … I’ve paid a deposit and was awaiting an update. Would you mind telling me how I contact liquidators?

Sorry to hear this, I too was surprised as didn’t get any of the signs from my many visits that they must of been having trouble.

The court appointed liquidator is Steven Wright of William Duncan Accountants, Glasgow.

Would contact them and let them know you may be creditor if you have paid a deposit. Hopefully, you may have used a credit card to make at least part of the payment and can use section 75. As not sure how much you might get back through the liquidation process

Sorry to hear this, I too was surprised as didn’t get any of the signs from my many visits that they must of been having trouble.

The court appointed liquidator is Steven Wright of William Duncan Accountants, Glasgow.

Would contact them and let them know you may be creditor if you have paid a deposit. Hopefully, you may have used a credit card to make at least part of the payment and can use section 75. As not sure how much you might get back through the liquidation process
Thank you so much! You’ve been really helpful. Did a bit of investigating last night.. I paid part of my deposit on CC, but given whole cost looks like I can only use chargeback and not section 75. But will investigate further. I was so do looking forward to my adventure with new van… what a let down!

I’d explore your credit card T&Cs - I read recently that even a part payment on CC helps recovering the full amount.

My understanding of it is that even if you paid 1p on the credit card as long as the total value of the good or services is over £100 the CC company is jointly liable for the full amount.

I am sure someone will be able to link the full qualifying rules.

Thank you so much! You’ve been really helpful. Did a bit of investigating last night.. I paid part of my deposit on CC, but given whole cost looks like I can only use chargeback and not section 75. But will investigate further. I was so do looking forward to my adventure with new van… what a let down!
So long as the cost was more the £100 and you paid part of it via credit card Section 75 should apply but it also has an upper limit of £30,000

What I can't find out is does section 75 apply up to that point or is it like the lower limit that it ceases to apply at all, I fear the latter.

At those levels of money though it's worth finding professional legal advice. Your local Citizens Advice Bureau may have some local contacts.

Almost bought a camper from here last year and it looks like a good job I didn’t. Hope anyone who had deposits down gets them back.

Just an update from me as I promised to do so! Contacted the liquidator who basically said my only option to get my moment back was the credit card route. Bank was helpful. Section 75 wasn’t applicable as the deposit was for an order over 30k. So my only option was charge back.so got a portion of my deposit back. As a final thought I think it was poor ethics from Caledonian campers to take deposits and orders knowing it was in trouble. I’m just glad it wasn’t worse but a pretty bad experience .

This is upsetting news as I didn’t feel they were struggling especially in this post Covid campervan rich climate.

We have done our own conversion on another vehicle and are looking to sell our Caledonian one… just in case anyone is interested who didn’t manage.

...... As a final thought I think it was poor ethics from Caledonian campers to take deposits and orders knowing it was in trouble........

If they knew they were in trouble. But often that is not the case. Many years ago I had a business that went bust; we really knew nothing until the very day, then the costs of a contract we had suddenly spiralled out of control as a result of poor communication from the client and we could not make ends meet. Nothing you can do in that circumstance. Could well be the same - CC could for instance have paid large sums to a supplier who went bust on them.

Still pleased that you got at least something back.

Last edited:
Reactions: CAB
If they knew they were in trouble. But often that is not the case. Many years ago I had a business that went bust; we really knew nothing until the very day, then the costs of a contract we had suddenly spiralled out of control as a result of poor communication from the client and we could not make ends meet. Nothing you can do in that circumstance. Could well be the same - CC could for instance have paid large sums to a supplier who went bust on them.

Still pleased that you got at least something back.
They did well out of the pandemic rush for campervans. Bad business management and not limiting risk factors are often reasons business fold. They did a job for me many years ago which I was not happy with and I found the director to be very evasive when it came to try and speak to her.

Just an update from me as I promised to do so! Contacted the liquidator who basically said my only option to get my moment back was the credit card route. Bank was helpful. Section 75 wasn’t applicable as the deposit was for an order over 30k. So my only option was charge back.so got a portion of my deposit back. As a final thought I think it was poor ethics from Caledonian campers to take deposits and orders knowing it was in trouble. I’m just glad it wasn’t worse but a pretty bad experience .
I do hope you got your money back

Back