Camper van virgin, looking to pop my cherry!

Evening all! Newbie here. Haven’t got a camper van, but this is something I’m looking to change in the very near future. I’m contemplating doing the conversion myself, so I’m primarily here to gain the knowledge and wisdom from some of those who’ve already carried out conversions. And from those who have spent time in various campers and have found the bits they liked and didn’t like, so that I can fine tune the features that I may install on our camper.
I’m mechanically minded having been a vehicle tech for over a decade and I’m currently working as a domestic electrician, so I’m hoping the conversion should been well within my remit.

Any words of advice would be most welcome, otherwise hello everyone

My advice would be to think about what you want, and plan an order of works before starting. If you want a pop top, don't fit a kitchen before that is done.
If you want a kitchen, insulate and sound deaden before that is done. Think about where you want lights and power points (12 and 240) and get wires in before ANY other work is done because you may not be able to get in, especially after roof and kitchen are done.
If you want something out of the ordinary, not available off the shelf, expect it to take twice as long.
If you're like me and want everything to be just how I want it, add another two years onto that.

What’s you current lifestyle/holiday habit?
Are you already an experienced camper or is your normal holiday 2 weeks on an all inclusive beach? Are you outdoorsy type or do you prefer Saturday afternoons on the couch with the footy & a slab of Stella? Have you got a high maintenance wife/kids?
This all may sound like I’m taking the p155 but it’s very relevant, there are loads of people that arrive here and say “I want a van”, but they’ve no idea why or what, IMHO they come at it the wrong way. They buy a van and then can’t decide whether they want a day van/camper/daily driver etc. I.e they want a van first & foremost, but then try & justify a need for it. The need should come first & then you build a van to satisfy the need. So with that in mind, the first question you have to ask yourself (and be honest) is “why do I want a van, what’s its purpose?”
And work from there.
Just my 2 penneth

Also consider the future, if you have kids the 2 years it could take to build a van could change the requirements you have. An example of this is my son, between hiring a van for a holiday and having our own ready to go he decided he hated camping (despite going regularly all his life). Even if it’s not that dramatic the requirements (sleeping, personal space or even new editions) will change so consider the future!

Other options between these polar opposites are available. ;)
Absolutely, but where the OP is on the scale could influence his choices. If he’s a 2 weeks in the sun kinda guy, he may only want a van that’s good for a couple of days on a site with all facilities & EHU. On the other hand, if he’s a hardened camper used to backpacking in the Scottish Highlands & looking for a bit more comfort, he might want an off grid self contained van that he can live in for a couple of weeks.
Or anywhere in between.

Last edited:
Absolutely, but where the OP is on the scale could influence his choices. If he’s a 2 weeks in the sun kinda guy, he may only want a van that’s good for a couple of days on a site with all facilities & EHU. On the other hand, if he’s a hardened camper used to backpacking in the Scottish Highlands & looking for a bit more comfort, he might want an off grid self contained van that he can live in for a couple of weeks.
Or anywhere in between.
Wouldn't argue with any of that. Your initial comment made me smile as I could envisage you saying "2 weeks all-inclusive" through gritted teeth - can't be sure you implied that, but that's what I inferred. :)

My advice would be to think about what you want, and plan an order of works before starting. If you want a pop top, don't fit a kitchen before that is done.
If you want a kitchen, insulate and sound deaden before that is done. Think about where you want lights and power points (12 and 240) and get wires in before ANY other work is done because you may not be able to get in, especially after roof and kitchen are done.
If you want something out of the ordinary, not available off the shelf, expect it to take twice as long.
If you're like me and want everything to be just how I want it, add another two years onto that.
Yes that’s defo the way to go about it, creating a plan to timescale. It’ll have to be with a pop top as we have a little girl (and will have a dog by the time it’s built!) so we’ll need the bed up top. It’ll be a proper camper van rather than a day van, so everything but the toilet (that’ll go in a pop up tent outside!). Thanks for the reply

Reactions: CAB
What’s you current lifestyle/holiday habit?
Are you already an experienced camper or is your normal holiday 2 weeks on an all inclusive beach? Are you outdoorsy type or do you prefer Saturday afternoons on the couch with the footy & a slab of Stella? Have you got a high maintenance wife/kids?
This all may sound like I’m taking the p155 but it’s very relevant, there are loads of people that arrive here and say “I want a van”, but they’ve no idea why or what, IMHO they come at it the wrong way. They buy a van and then can’t decide whether they want a day van/camper/daily driver etc. I.e they want a van first & foremost, but then try & justify a need for it. The need should come first & then you build a van to satisfy the need. So with that in mind, the first question you have to ask yourself (and be honest) is “why do I want a van, what’s its purpose?”
And work from there.
Just my 2 penneth
I’m hoping this will be our holidays across the UK and possibly Europe for the next several years. We’re definitely used to camping (the three year old hasn’t tried yet mind!), we’re all for the great outdoors so will be putting a bike rack on the back…possibly toe bar mounted. The mrs isn’t high maintenance…the three year old…tbc ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I get what you’re saying exactly mate, we’ve been thinking about getting one for a couple of years now and I’m just weighing up the pros and cons to buying a ready made camper as opposed to doing a self build. The main benefit I can see to doing a self build is that everything is done How and where you want it. Where’s the ready made ones always have some form of compromise…. Might just be me being picky, but if you’re going to spend this kind of money on your next several years of accommodation/holidays, it needs to be right. Thanks for the reply

Also consider the future, if you have kids the 2 years it could take to build a van could change the requirements you have. An example of this is my son, between hiring a van for a holiday and having our own ready to go he decided he hated camping (despite going regularly all his life). Even if it’s not that dramatic the requirements (sleeping, personal space or even new editions) will change so consider the future!
One and done is our outlook on kids! I get what you’re saying and appreciate the input. I go to Silverstone every year for the F1 so it’ll definitely get used annually for that (plus some European races…shhh…don’t tell the mrs, she doesn’t know that yet!). Plus the festivals we go to every year. And if it’s sat there, we’ve instantly got accommodation for a spontaneous weekend away as and when. I know it’ll get the use. Thank you for your reply

I’m hoping this will be our holidays across the UK and possibly Europe for the next several years. We’re definitely used to camping (the three year old hasn’t tried yet mind!), we’re all for the great outdoors so will be putting a bike rack on the back…possibly toe bar mounted. The mrs isn’t high maintenance…the three year old…tbc *♂️ I get what you’re saying exactly mate, we’ve been thinking about getting one for a couple of years now and I’m just weighing up the pros and cons to buying a ready made camper as opposed to doing a self build. The main benefit I can see to doing a self build is that everything is done How and where you want it. Where’s the ready made ones always have some form of compromise…. Might just be me being picky, but if you’re going to spend this kind of money on your next several years of accommodation/holidays, it needs to be right. Thanks for the reply
Sounds like you know what you’re about. I know where you’re coming from re. The self build vs ready built route. There is the middle “bespoke” way, but this can be pricey. It’s the way we went due to time constraints. We worked with the converter to build the van we wanted, which we got. If you go down the converter route, you’ll pay more, but you’re paying for the mistakes they’ve made in the past & experience they’ve gained since.
Whichever way you decide to go, good luck & be sure to post plenty of pics of your conversion.

I'm not so sure about the converter route being the best route, I've seen some shoddy workmanship on vans that have come out of some converter's workshops, I reckon every man and his buddy set up a van conversion business over the last two years or so and some of them haven't a clue.
I went down the self build route, with a flat pack kitchen from Evo Designs, but I got them to leave the majority of the panels uncut so I can choose where the cupboards go and how big they are (I want to fit a microwave in the rear section and also got rid of the wasted space that the tambour doors would slide into on their 5.4Pro kit)
Gas tank and diesel heater under the van to maintain space inside, and the fact I want to keep the Kombi seat positions so I can get my bike in there for the long haul trips has meant a lot of modifications need to be done along the way.
So many 'pre-done' camper conversions follow the same format, the only real differences are the colours and minor layout variations.

I'm not so sure about the converter route being the best route, I've seen some shoddy workmanship on vans that have come out of some converter's workshops, I reckon every man and his buddy set up a van conversion business over the last two years or so and some of them haven't a clue.
I went down the self build route, with a flat pack kitchen from Evo Designs, but I got them to leave the majority of the panels uncut so I can choose where the cupboards go and how big they are (I want to fit a microwave in the rear section and also got rid of the wasted space that the tambour doors would slide into on their 5.4Pro kit)
Gas tank and diesel heater under the van to maintain space inside, and the fact I want to keep the Kombi seat positions so I can get my bike in there for the long haul trips has meant a lot of modifications need to be done along the way.
So many 'pre-done' camper conversions follow the same format, the only real differences are the colours and minor layout variations.
To be fair though, some of the good convertors produce some really fabulous conversions...for a price, of course.

Haven’t managed to read all the replies yet but one of the first things I would do before any purchases is rent one for a week/weekend and learn all ou can from the experience. For me this was what made me go for a LWB, LED headlights, DSG, rear seats on rails, spending money on the electrical system up front - I worked out what I wanted that would make my travels easier…

I would also look up some YouTubers such as Greg Virgoe and gadget John - both have converted vans and have good build vlogs.

Back