Stitches and Steel 18" steel wheels with All Terrain Tyres

Branwell

T6 Pro
I like the look of the Stitches and Steel 18" steel wheels. They sell this wheel with a 255/55/R18 General Grabber tyre.

From what they say on their website the wheel off set and width will allow this tyre to fit standard suspension and ride height.

Just wondering if anyone on here has fitted these wheels with all terrain tyres in 255/55/R18 and how they got on. (I have a T30 SWB Kombi).

Are the Stitches and Steels just amaroks?
I have amaroks with general grabber at3s IMG_5563.JPG20200912_154314.jpg235/55/18 and 235/60/18. I tested 255/55 and although they went round they snagged when the suspension was compressed on lock. Too big for unhindered use on standard suspension.

I am not sure if they are the same as Amarok steel wheels. I am guessing they supply this size of tyre as the offset of their wheel clears any parts of the van but interested to know more.

They are not Amaroks, 100% sure. No idea what they are exactly though.

Thanks for posting that, much appreciated. I don't suppose you have any photos of your van showing it side on?

Just fitted a set with 235/55R18 Cooper Discoverer ATT tyres. I’m not particularly impressed with the condition the wheels turned up in, and the tyre fitter was pretty unimpressed too but they weren’t bad enough to make me want to bother returning them. Happy with the look now that they’re on though, a big improvement over the standard 16s!

484EE7E0-BA7C-40B6-B7C1-76DE098A7E7E.jpeg

Did you have any wheel bolt issues. Mine turned up today and the bolts that work with my OEM steel spare are too long for the S+S wheel?

I never had OEM bolts as the van had 20” alloys when I bought it. I started off with OEM replica bolts from Tamar wheels but recently changed them because I put spacers on. You are welcome to buy the bolts I started with but I think the wheels sit perfectly with spacers so id do that and get the right bolts. I went 5mm front 12mm rear.
The most important thing to make sure when you fit is that you use copper slip. The first time mine really seized on the hubs.
Also ask S&S to send you the rubber adapters to stop the hub caps falling off!

I never had OEM bolts as the van had 20” alloys when I bought it. I started off with OEM replica bolts from Tamar wheels but recently changed them because I put spacers on. You are welcome to buy the bolts I started with but I think the wheels sit perfectly with spacers so id do that and get the right bolts. I went 5mm front 12mm rear.
The most important thing to make sure when you fit is that you use copper slip. The first time mine really seized on the hubs.

Thanks, I have the OEM style bolts from Tamar (they're exactly the same size as my OEM bolts for the spare), they just don't appear to go in far enough! If I use them on the VW spare they're OK but on the S+S seem to be about 5mm too long and hitting enough resistance to stop them going in further without forcing it. Maybe dirt in the thread on the hub..... I think I might be spending lunch with an old tooth brush seeing if I can clean the tread.

May go the spacer route but wanted to see how they fitted as standard first. Cheers for the help.

Thanks, I have the OEM style bolts from Tamar (they're exactly the same size as my OEM bolts for the spare), they just don't appear to go in far enough! If I use them on the VW spare they're OK but on the S+S seem to be about 5mm too long and hitting enough resistance to stop them going in further without forcing it. Maybe dirt in the thread on the hub..... I think I might be spending lunch with an old tooth brush seeing if I can clean the tread.

May go the spacer route but wanted to see how they fitted as standard first. Cheers for the help.

Yer maybe poke a skewer or something in and see if anything falls out. Weird though, I don’t see how they would get dirty inside the holes of the hubs..
The spacers totally transformed the look of the van in my opinion, so that would be my suggestion..445668A9-829B-4971-B469-92A0E8F9ED49.jpeg

Yer maybe poke a skewer or something in and see if anything falls out. Weird though, I don’t see how they would get dirty inside the holes of the hubs..
The spacers totally transformed the look of the van in my opinion, so that would be my suggestion..View attachment 109805
Thanks, I'll probably go that route but need to get them on as have no spare at the moment due to a puncture last week on the outgoing alloys.

The spacers totally transformed the look of the van in my opinion, so that would be my suggestion..

Cleaned the threads, went on like a glove. Searching for new tyre place to do the tracking... Not my idea of a good lunch break sat in my backside in the street.

PXL_20210325_132840223.MP.jpg

PXL_20210325_132846872.jpg

do you know where I could get these rubber bolt adaptors you mention?thanks in advance

I've just got the S+S 18" steelies on my van. Really pleased so far, although haven't managed a long run on them yet!

Tyres are General Grabber AT3 235/55/18.

They look and feel really tough, which is what I was looking for, with the state of our roads these days!

Dropped the suspension 40mm on H & R springs too. I think the van sits nicely and the ride has definitely improved.

I get minor rubbing on the wheel arch on full lock but not enough to worry about.

Also have a set of VW centre caps on order. I saw somewhere that I need some adaptors to keep them on...? Does anyone have any info on these?

Also, does anyone know the best pressure to run the tyres at? Maximum on the tyre wall is 50 psi. At 50 psi they still seem a bit squashy. My van is a T32 if it makes much difference.

Thanks

s+s.jpg

Last edited:
Back