Stiff Tailgate

SNACK

Caravelle Executive 204BHP DSG
T6 Pro
Our tailgate can feel really heavy making it difficult to close - especially when it’s hot out and the boot warms up.

I’m quite a strong lad I’d say, it definitely isn’t my muscles!

Anything I can grease or lube up to make the door lighter and easier to close?

(Electric tailgate is the one option we don’t have and really need!)

Mine is exactly the same in the hot weather, and often becomes very tough to close when it's been left open during a job in the sun.

I doubt any lubricant will make it easier, because it's a gas strut as far as I know.

If the struts have gas in them, I wonder if that is expanding and creating a greater pressure to hold up.

I also have problems closing the tailgate but mainly due to the amount of ‘essentials’ my girlfriend ‘needs’ to take camping.

If we leave our tailgate open in hot weather for more than a few minutes it becomes a lot harder to close but still not a big issue.

One thing to check is the load rating on the gas struts - ours, at 1200N, are uprated from the standard to cope with the added weight of the bike rack being permanently installed - so, if yours are similar rating without the added weight of a bike rack the tailgate will be a lot heavier to close. Without a bike rack I think the standard struts are only around 900N. The rating will be printed on the body of the struts.

It's all about the balance between the struts being able to support the weight of the tailgate plus accessories but still being able to close with minimal effort.

Back