Sterling Split Charge Smouldering

Markymark

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Indie Projects have a Mercedes Sprinter they converted themselves and they bought a reconditioned split charge relay from the Sterling website. They are out in Finland and smelt burning, turned out the unit and wiring has started to burn out.

One interesting thing was they rang sterling customer help desk who were particularly unhelpful. Even going so far to say ‘I wouldn’t buy a reconditioned unit’! What cheek when they sold it to them in the first place. Anyway they got no joy despite having spent quite a bit with them including buying lithium batteries from them and recommending them in their YouTube site etc.

Here is a link to their video if you want to know a bit more about it. You will have to fast forward to get towards the end where they talk about it.

Holy cow.

Just watched full video.

Hmm... no pics of what happened.

Or what parts they had or what it looked like....so.

Further details required before Stirling get shot down in flames...

A simple loose connection under high current.... such as a 100A relay could cause that.....

But they say the have lithium battery bank..... so what are the using... a split charge relay?? Surely not.

It must be DC-DC charger right? . . . With most likely a loose crimp or connection.

Edit....

Looks like a DC-DC charger... see near end of this vid.

Last edited:
Goodness me. Steer clear of Stirling then seems to be the message here then.
What is it with customer service nowadays, so many companies that don’t seem to give a toss.

I’ve queried why are they not using a dc-dc charger on their Instagram feed but haven’t heard back yet.

Sterling kit tends to be on the better quality side in my experience. However, depending on who answers the phone when you ring their customer support, can have a marked affect on the outcome. There’s an Irish guy (at least I think he’s Irish) who is truly obnoxious, if he answers, I hang up & dial again. I think he’s either the owner or a director, I do know he’s an arrogant tw4t. The other 2 lads in the office are sound & very helpful. When it comes to high current DC applications, it’s easy to start a fire.

Last edited:
Sterling kit tends to be on the better quality side in my experience. However, depending on who answers the phone when you ring their customer support, can have a marked affect on the outcome. There’s an Irish guy (at least I think he’s Irish) who is truly obnoxious, if he answers, I hang up & dial again. I think he’s either the owner or a director, I do know he’s an arrogant tw4t. The other 2 lads in the office are sound & very helpful. When it comes to high current DC applications, it’s easy to start a fire.
Yep, that'll be Charles Sterling. If you get their tech guy he's generally okay, but, to be honest, Sterling kit isn't really designed for van conversions and the build qual;ity leaves a lot to be desired. manufactured in China to a price.
Whoever installed this van needs certifying if they are using Lithium batteries with a relay based split charge system!

Indie Projects have a Mercedes Sprinter they converted themselves and they bought a reconditioned split charge relay from the Sterling website. They are out in Finland and smelt burning, turned out the unit and wiring has started to burn out.

One interesting thing was they rang sterling customer help desk who were particularly unhelpful. Even going so far to say ‘I wouldn’t buy a reconditioned unit’! What cheek when they sold it to them in the first place. Anyway they got no joy despite having spent quite a bit with them including buying lithium batteries from them and recommending them in their YouTube site etc.

Here is a link to their video if you want to know a bit more about it. You will have to fast forward to get towards the end where they talk about it.

Looks like a faulty crimp, nothing to do with any relay / fuse etc.

Being a complete electrical numpty I bow to greater knowledge here regarding the cause(s) of the fire. Mind you I do know I know nothing and took my van to Martyn to sort out

However, my reason for the post was the poor level of customer support which seems to be confirmed by other comments. The fact their own customer support wouldn’t recommend their own refurbished product is pretty mind boggling.

Just as well the products themselves are well received because their attitude to customers is Dickensian.

Yep, that'll be Charles Sterling. If you get their tech guy he's generally okay, but, to be honest, Sterling kit isn't really designed for van conversions and the build qual;ity leaves a lot to be desired. manufactured in China to a price.
Whoever installed this van needs certifying if they are using Lithium batteries with a relay based split charge system!

Defo DC-DC:

It must be DC-DC charger right? . . . With most likely a loose crimp or connection.

Edit....

Looks like a DC-DC charger... see near end of this vid.

Not sure, what I can see looks like a mains charger or inverter? Either way, what he is holding in his hand is a cable without a lug and it looks like the lug had been "flattened" instead of crimped.

His real replies on instagram haven’t been very clear but one suggests dc-dc which makes sense based on what people have said.

Whenever I watched any of their van conversion videos I was usually surprised how clueless they were and would often spout crap that they’d heard from somewhere as fact without doing any research. Bad PR performance from Sterling, but my money would be on a dodgy install

Hi Guys, now that we are well into 2020, did anyone hear any update on this topic ? Ie, who was to blame and what exact product was at the route of the issue.
Only reason i ask is i am about to purchase a dc to dc charger for my t6 and a bit worried about sterling now.
Cheers

Hi Guys, now that we are well into 2020, did anyone hear any update on this topic ? Ie, who was to blame and what exact product was at the route of the issue.
Only reason i ask is i am about to purchase a dc to dc charger for my t6 and a bit worried about sterling now.
Cheers
I have a Sterling in my T6 and it’s been faultless, my son in law works for a ships chandler and sells loads of these DC chargers into the marine market and he says never had a problem with them.

Perfect, cheers guys, thats all i needed to hear, my minds now put to rest : )
I did kind of suspect a faulty or bad connection, but didnt want to assume.

Thanks again for all your help and advice

We have a a Stirling 1230 B2B charger. It was the only one I could find at the time that was customisable and did what I wanted. Works well and the only issue I have had is rattling cooling fans when cold. Typical of cheap bronze bushed fans that dry out.

I will buy Victron when the time comes for a replacement.

We have a a Stirling 1230 B2B charger. It was the only one I could find at the time that was customisable and did what I wanted. Works well and the only issue I have had is rattling cooling fans when cold. Typical of cheap bronze bushed fans that dry out.

I will buy Victron when the time comes for a replacement.
I was/am in exactly the same situation. The Sterling kit is very customisable re. Charging profile, particularly for Lithium, something lacking in the Victron kit. However, when/if the Sterling dies, I’d replace it with Victron.

Back