CRE50 fridge issues and potential Leisure Battery culprit - RESOLVED!

4WheelsFromCanvas

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Right. I’ve been putting this off for a while but as it now affects my Dometic fridge and we’re looking to go on a trip to Europe this summer I need to tackle this. Been putting it off because electrics (and plumbing for that matter) are like the Dark Arts to me! So please bear with and excuse and incorrect technical references.

Some background:

My van is a ‘17 former PV T6 T28 ‘Covid conversion’ from a ‘professional converter’ that I bought Oct 21 from the original owner of it who had had it 1 year post-conversion. So I have no real history or relationship with how the conversion was done and what systems went in. It’s not a bad van and no major issues to date but I started to see a few corners had been cut - so it looked much better on the surface than under the covers.

I could see the previous owner potentially had a few electrical problems as he’d replaced the 1st (new) leisure battery inside a year. He’d also struggled with the fridge doing odd things so had put in a new rectifier just before I bought it. I still got those well known issues (orange flashing light when switching over from EHU to LB) but generally sorted by removing and replacing the 10a fuse in the CBE unit.
First revelation was that despite having an EHU point at the back of the van - there was in fact no LB charger onboard. So it served only to provide power to the 240v sockets when in hook up. The only way of charging the LB was via the Sterling B2B system (BB1230). So I suspect the LB had been left to run low and may have been affected. I’ve continued to plod on with that existing LB and a Halfords smart charger but it does seem (via the BT2 BMS devices recommended here) to drain to low levels over a period of 4-5 days. So I’m trying to work out if there is a parasitic drain and what might be causing it OR whether in fact the LB is knackered. Or both…
This is brought to a head by the fridge now, even with a ‘fully charged’ LB starting to “cough” and not fire the compressor. So blue lights are all on, no orange warnings, but not actually firing. I think this might be to do with either wiring (I’ll send pictures of the birds nest I’ve found under the drivers seat) affecting load to fridge OR simply the battery not having enough oomph to fire the fridge.

So - I need to work out what’s going on with the fridge. And determine whether I need a new LB.

Any help, ideas, further questions all gratefully received! Laying hooks for @Dellmassive but any input at all would be great.

Battery monitor screen grabs below - to show last Saturdays journey from a fully charged LB, then left unplugged since then, with a couple of short trips. (Thinking the fridge might be draining the LB as there is no isolation switch, this week for the first time I’ve removed the 10a fuse. ). Too early to tell but I do think the charge fall off might be better than it was previously.

IMG_2190.png

IMG_2191.png

IMG_2192.png

IMG_2193.png

IMG_2194.png

IMG_2195.png

IMG_2196.png

Last edited:
The birds nest under the drivers seat which makes me wonder at cable run length issues, not that I know what the really long one is yet.

IMG_2189.jpeg

Reactions: DXX
It looks like you have a diesel heater in which case that wiring very much looks like an amended Autoterm loom. The installation instructions advise not to amend the loom however it has been cut and joined without being shortened. Although not tidy I don’t think that has anything to do with your issue.

Last edited:
It looks like you have a diesel heater in which case that wiring very much looks like an amended Autoterm loom. The installation instructions advise not to amend the loom however it has been cut and joined without being shortened. Although not tidy I don’t think that has anything to do with your issue.
Good spot - yes I do and I think it’s a Planar. Ok so the long snake is to do with that so that’s one less cause to chase down, thank you.

I’m going to slide the fridge out tomorrow and trace that wiring back to the battery.

That’s the cable for the Autoterm. It’s a ridiculous amount of spare cable but to shorten it invalidates the warranty.
I had a very similar BM2 battery profile and similar with the fridge and also the diesel heater showing low battery fault as soon as it was turned on even though the LB showed 12.7v Basically subjecting the LB to any decent load absolutely floored it.
New Renogy Lithium installed and all good.

That’s the cable for the Autoterm. It’s a ridiculous amount of spare cable but to shorten it invalidates the warranty.
I had a very similar BM2 battery profile and similar with the fridge and also the diesel heater showing low battery fault as soon as it was turned on even though the LB showed 12.7v Basically subjecting the LB to any decent load absolutely floored it.
New Renogy Lithium installed and all good.
That’s really useful thanks and good to know these faults seen before. I don’t understand when if the LB shows 12.4-12.7v it can’t take a load. Is that just a sign it’s weak and knackered?

I think a new battery would rule that out as a factor and I’ll always know it’s history for day 1. Fancy lithium and to plan for future solar too but feel more research to be done but perhaps not enough time before our trip.

Not sure if the Sterling will allow for lithium charging. Less certain it has solar input either. So then I’m looking at new charging hardware.

It’ll be Renogy or I spotted the Fogstars too, read a few good things.

In the meantime for ease may just get another AGM to see me through.

Thanks again for your experience.

I’m no battery expert, but I’m pretty sure that’s a sign of a knackered battery.
Those fogstars look great value for money, but I needed a new battery quickly and the Renogy popped up at a great price so I grabbed it.
The Renogy dc-dc 60a was on sale for £139 a couple of days ago so keep your eyes peeled.
And I’ve got a 6% discount code if you go down the Renogy route.
In fact, the 40a non mppt model is now £109

Also the 100ah battery with Bluetooth is £399 so with the 6% discount you could grab one for £376. Mine arrived within about 4 days of my order being placed. Not as good a spec as the fogstar which has a built in heater. Depends how often you think you will need to charge the battery when the interior of your van is zero degrees I guess.

Last edited:
having a look at the BM2 plots above. . . .

at no point does the battery voltage drop below 12v. . . .

you can see the charging from EHU and engine . . ?

so im thinking voltage drop on the fridge power cable?

have you got some pics of the rest of the install?

Lithium upgrade is a great idea at any point. . .

having a look at the BM2 plots above. . . .

at no point does the battery voltage drop below 12v. . . .

you can see the charging from EHU and engine . . ?

so im thinking voltage drop on the fridge power cable?

have you got some pics of the rest of the install?

Lithium upgrade is a great idea at any point. . .
Thanks @Dellmassive - I’ll turn the fridge on and see if I can capture it trying to come on on the BM2 and whether that pulls it below 12. So generally - those plots with the slow discharge over a couple of days, do they look normal to you? I have no idea.

The voltage drop on the fridge cable I did wonder about but it’s a relatively new development. I will pull the fridge out and see if my untrained eye can spot anything odd. Maybe assessing the length of the fridge power cable to start with. How best to measure drop off?

Many thanks for the pointers I will investigate and report back.

To check if you have a drain... You need to meter out the power at the battery.

A 2week bm2 plot may show enough data to get a rough idea....

But the battery test will defo tell you.

See here:

Screenshot_20230619_200458_Chrome.jpg

To check if you have a drain... You need to meter out the power at the battery.

A 2week bm2 plot may show enough data to get a rough idea....

But the battery test will defo tell you.

See here:

View attachment 202891

Ok - so mini update: clamp meter ordered. Also Fogstar said the 105A is in stock so I’ve ordered one and it comes tomorrow - so excited to be making the jump to lithium, which may just overcome the issue anyway.

In the meantime, pulled the fridge out and took some snaps of existing setup. Tried fridge again, still just coughs and doesn’t start, no warning lights. Plugged in AC charger and, whilst keeping rectifier switched off, the fridge came to life after a few minutes of juice going into LB. Left running and came out about an hour later to check and fridge again had stopped firing. So pretty sure that means it’s a power/load issue.

Took some snaps:

Under seat setup. Can see a couple of earthed negs. Can’t see a lot else but will take seat off at weekend to swap out battery and check the wiring.

IMG_2215.jpeg

Single black cable back left of the fridge cupboard comes from under drivers seat and the goes to dometic rectifier as does Red and black cable from fridge. Cable in the housing goes to Planar digital controller.
IMG_2210.jpeg

Rectifier located under hob. Black cable in foreground is what comes from under drivers seat and appears at back of fridge cupboard and goes into rectifier. Black and red cables to fridge also seen here. Power socket presumably goes to consumer unit and the EHU but that’s all contained and not accessible behind a false wall in the rear locker, which annoyingly looks like I will have to deconstruct the locker itself. Or risk some damage and just force it.

IMG_2211.jpeg

And finally, the only fuse block I can find is the very obvious typical CBE unit. The 10a fuse is definitely for the fridge as I use this to rectify the fickle fridge orange light issue which occurs sometimes when rectifier switches on from EHU activation.

IMG_2213.jpeg

Any worries with this little lot - please shout!

Last edited:
Pleased to report that the Fogstar lithium arrived next day and went in relatively easily and the fridge now fires up immediately both from LB alone and with the rectifier switched on and mains on, with no orange flashing light nonsense (so far)!

So fingers crossed all the fridge issues have gone away.

Battery looks good, the BT app pretty slick. I had to buy some terminal posts so I could keep the quick release attachments I already had fitted but otherwise all really simple.

Also had to decipher all the Sterling B2B instructions to find the right button pressing sequences to set it to the Lithium profile. The Halfords mains smart charger however proves a bit basic - the lithium profile only pushes out at 3.5A so that’s fit for an upgrade but no real rush.

Thanks for all your help chaps.

Back