Spring frustration

TonyJH

Just trying to figure out if I am being unreasonable or not. I purchased some replacement front springs for my T6 T32 on eBay. The VW dealer has informed me that the correct spring for my van is grey grey grey green.

The eBay seller who has sent me different colour coded springs from another t32 is claiming all t32 front springs are the same, and interchangeable. I am replying saying I don't think this is the case.

From looking on this forum this does not appear to be the case, but maybe I am missing something? My intuition is telling me that if VW fitted the same springs to all t32s why on earth would they have coloured them differently in the first place

Simply, the seller is totally incorrect.

The springs are interchangeable in terms of size and shape, but their strength (and sometimes travel) is different and marked by the colours.

If you were happy with what was originally on there, you should put the same back on.

Thanks for your response, much appreciated!

The reason for the change is that when I bought the van it was lowered by the previous owner. I want to return it to stock as I am worried about it getting beached in a field when we are off camping (it was a Kombi before we converted it). Plus I am also hoping the ride will be less crashy with a standard ride height. I know the best solution would be to go see Steve at CRS, but I need to wait a while for funds before making that trip.

It is a very complex topic - different weight ratings, the length, linear or not and all depends on the spec of the van (when it was built new). So if the weight of the vehicle changes from a camper conversion etc. it doesn't necessarily always suit the original spring fitted.

However grey/grey/grey/green is one of (if not the) heaviest duty options for vans in the UK (there might be a 4x grey for mega offroad in other countries if I remember reading once?). Someone might come along and correct this, I certainly don't claim to be an expert, but had to look into it a lot because I have a very heavy van and uprated it from T30 to T32.

If it helps, I have a LWB, DSG, 4Motion camper, running at about 2900 kg all the time with about 1600 kg of this over the front axle. I also have the 3x grey 1x green front springs, and am a fan of standard ride height for the reasons you mentioned above. However, with my weight it was still down at the front compared to the back where better heavy duty versions are available, so I fitted 15mm spring spacers to get the height I wanted. A lighter van would obviously sit higher without the need for the additional spacers.

I can talk about this a lot so any questions just let me know, but I think you are doing the right thing and seem to have it sorted.

The different colour coding on a T32 front springs does indicate they are either different rates or lengths , Its to deal with SWB or LWB , 2 or 4 wheel drive, Gearbox and engine codes that all have different weight . They all fit and they all work actually , thinking the ride will be different with different colours is short sighted and i cant see it making any significant difference at all to the ride , Ride quality is a shock function mainly !!
The shocks would give a different result if you had a shock that had done 100 k miles as apposed to some that were newer . Shocks do wear out and because they wear gradually we dont notice it . The oil in side a shock can work as hard as the engine oil and reach similar temperatures, leave the engine oil for 100 k and see what results ??

Back