Sportsline Turbo problem

Steve62

Hi Everyone,

I have a problem with my Sports line T6 on a 68 plate.
While travelling on the motorway the van went into limp mode (40-50mph) once I got home and restarted it wouldn’t go any faster That walking pace. I took it to a garage I normally use, they told me it was the Dpf filter and they were actually waiting for a machine they had bought which cleans the filters. I Spoke to them yesterday and they are saying after cleaning the filter the pressure is back to normal think he mentioned (400?) but it is not running much better. They believe the turbo is at fault which would have caused the filter problem. Now they are looking for prices for a new turbo. Im not very knowledgeable when it comes to engines hence these questions below.
1:Garage only mentioned the word Turbo, does the sportsline have one turbo? I see some threads on here mentioning Bi - Turbo ( am I right presuming that means 2 or not ?)

2: The garage haven’t mentioned stripping down the turbo and seen damage. Just that they believe it is the Turbo. Are they right to assume this? Could the problem be anything else?

The garage is reputable and will phone around for prices but won’t have the time like I have to do a good search.

I see a few websites selling turbos, is there anything I need to be aware of when looking or can anyone recommend a company that sells them?

Can anyone give me some advice??

The 204ps 2.0 engine has a bi-turbo.

One unit containing two separate turbos. And part of the inlet manifold.

They are not cheap!. And a big job to replace.

There would have been fault codes stored, can you get them?

You say the cleaned the dpf?.... But still has running issues.?

It could be many things.

So more data is needed.

Can you get a report from them of works so far?

It’s important that the cause of a turbocharger failure is diagnosed. There’s a high chance it’s lubrication failure so it’s important that the oil sample analysis is carried out, possible fuel dilution issues.
Depending on the quality of the oil there may well be other engine damage especially if the compressor blading is damaged.
Turbocharger oil feeds and drain line needs to be proven clean with good flow.
The sump should be removed to clean the oil suction screen and clean out any debris.
Obviously new oil and filter prior to running and again shortly after a post re-build run.
VW don’t recommend workshops split a bi-turbo unit, probably because they use a jig in manufacturing to align flanges before tightening.

I Just had an update from the garage, they took a look at it this afternoon. The small Turbo actuator is working fine when the Van is started, the large one wasn't creating a vacuum but he said he wasn’t sure if it was supposed to be at that time or later when moving (Do you know?) . However, when a vacuum is created with a pump the arm doesn’t move over like it should do so looks like it needs a new Actuator anyway.

He said he has done loads of these as this was a common problem with the TDI , I think he said the rubber flange cracks inside. He is going to check in the morning to see if it’s possible to buy the Actuator for the Bi Turbo. Fingers Crossed you can and that will fix the problem.

It’s important that the cause of a turbocharger failure is diagnosed. There’s a high chance it’s lubrication failure so it’s important that the oil sample analysis is carried out, possible fuel dilution issues.
Depending on the quality of the oil there may well be other engine damage especially if the compressor blading is damaged.
Turbocharger oil feeds and drain line needs to be proven clean with good flow.
The sump should be removed to clean the oil suction screen and clean out any debris.
Obviously new oil and filter prior to running and again shortly after a post re-build run.
VW don’t recommend workshops split a bi-turbo unit, probably because they use a jig in manufacturing to align flanges before tightening.
Wow dxx, you a mechanic or just been through some rough stuff in your time!!! I’m gonna have to get on YouTube and watch some vids! Ha ha

Wow dxx, you a mechanic or just been through some rough stuff in your time!!! I’m gonna have to get on YouTube and watch some vids! Ha ha
Marine diesels amongst other things for 45 years, somewhat bigger than the piddly VW engine.
’some rough stuff’, yes, if the design and the maintenance programme is good it can pretty much all be traced back to human intervention or lack of it.

Back