Speed Camera Detectors

mopardave

150 Kombi Manual
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Does anyone bother with them? I have an old road angel but don't use it any more....but there are more and more camera vans:thumbsdown: up here in N. Yorkshire! Okay, I know some will say stick to the speed limit....I do....but everyone has the occasional lapse in concentration. Anyway, I've had a part exchange email offer from Road Angel (£50 pounds off a new one) and I'm wondering whether to do it.....though I'm tempted to spend the money on a dash cam instead.
Thoughts anyone?:thumbsup:

I see what you did there @Ads_Essex …..maybe I answered my own question:whistle:!! Love the idea of a remap....my T5 was remapped prior to me buying it. To say it started life as an 84bhp snail....I never drove it when it was 84bhp so can't say just how slow it was....but my god.....the midrange was impressive! It would have beaten my 150bhp T6 in a rolling acceleration test! Anyway....back on topic....North Yorkshire police are proper "b*stards" when it comes to slight speeding transgressions…..not my description by the way.....they were called that by a West Yorkshire traffic (accident investigation) sergeant!

I'm pretty sure that radar detectors are illegal in UK as they are in France. However, in UK maps with speed camera locations are permitted while in France it is Danger Zones that are mapped on the likes of TomTom; however, neither of these are any use against mobile radars which in UK are at least marked even if located sneakily.

In France though the Gendarmes have unmarked vehicles fitted with radar that can operate ON THE MOVE and will detect approaching vehicles as well as those travelling in the same direction! To make matters worse, the Government is conducting trials in Normandy with civilian contractors operating unmarked vehicles instead of the Gendarmerie so that they get more operating hours per day. If you add to that the President's decision that secondary (i.e. Departmental roads with D prefix numbering) that are NOT separated by a barrier will from 1st July 2018 have their speed limit reduced from 90kph to 80kph then you have a nightmare fund raiser.

@T6 Dave's Dad....I think radar detectors are legal here....they certainly were when I bought my first Road Angel.....but you're right, they most certainly aren't legal in France! I see some proper kn*b jockey's on the roads but due to manpower cuts, they never seem to get caught. I did a speed awareness course about 5 years ago.....and you know what.....everyone in that room was from the same demographic. Every one of us had just had a lapse of concentration (mine was doing 34 in a 30!). Anyway.....it's not a rant about traffic camera vans. I really DO try stick to speed limits....I've cut too many people from folded up cars in my time and I'm quite fond of my pink little body! I suppose I'm thinking of getting another as much because it will make me more aware if I'm straying a bit. :thumbsup:

Oh yes....and that West Yorkshire traffic sergeant absolutely detested camera vans....the people that operate them (he had regular contact with them) and North Yorks police policy in particular! I won't repeat exactly what he said....but I was shocked 'cos he's a really mild mannered guy!:mad:

My TomTom as it always has, has a report speed camera button that alerts every other TomTom Live owner in the area..

@mopardave I agree that an a speed reminder and a detector is a useful tool when you are trying to stick to posted limits and remain legal. Many French drivers though seem to regard limits as the minimum speed at which to drive and only slow to legal limits when in a fixed camera area. I use the speed limiter that is fitted to my car set at the satnav's indication of the speed required and I frequently find myself being overtaken, often in dangerous situations as the French are both impatient and possessed of the attitude "I must be the car in front"

I use the Waze app on my phone, as my sat nav.
That has all the fixed camera positions marked, and lets users update the maps for traffic jams etc etc
It has an option for police, and generally when I see a camera van it shows up on the map as Police/visible/not visable
if its not there already, I add it, then it shows for everyone else

And, its free

Alternatively, just drive around 10%-15% over the speed limit and you'll find the cameras yourself..... ;)
I'll get my coat....

I use the Forum one in the bus and get a gentle beep whenever approaching a camera or trap. On the bike I use the Garmin one even abroad although in France I religiously stick to the speed limits regardless thanks to the french plod being over zealous and hiding everywhere.

I'm not prone to speeding but have had a few tickets in the past and have had a Road Angel for years. I wouldn't be without it, totally legal in the UK and camera warnings aside it is also very useful as a black spot, school, speed & speed limit reminder. Not had a ticket since using one...

I use the Waze app on my phone, as my sat nav.
That has all the fixed camera positions marked, and lets users update the maps for traffic jams etc etc
It has an option for police, and generally when I see a camera van it shows up on the map as Police/visible/not visable
if its not there already, I add it, then it shows for everyone else

And, its free
Did you get a sqillion adverts though even when not in use? I did and had to delete the app as it drive me mad.

Does anyone bother with them? I have an old road angel but don't use it any more....but there are more and more camera vans:thumbsdown: up here in N. Yorkshire! Okay, I know some will say stick to the speed limit....I do....but everyone has the occasional lapse in concentration. Anyway, I've had a part exchange email offer from Road Angel (£50 pounds off a new one) and I'm wondering whether to do it.....though I'm tempted to spend the money on a dash cam instead.
Thoughts anyone?:thumbsup:
Stick to the speed limit ...and don't have a lapse is my advice ...i have been done twice in one year and sadly it is as simple as that .

I have a Discovery media SatNav in my van which displays the speed limit for the road I’m on (except unclassified roads) but it annoys me that the limit displayed is not correct for a van ie 60 in a 70 and 50 in a 60. Surely it would be easy for VW to fix this, just software i would imaging. I also have in the MFD a user set maximum speed limit audible warning which is not very useful as maximum speed limits vary. Again i feel it would very easy to link the MDF warning to the SatNav determined maximum. I think this would be a very useful feature, ok not too necessary in your local area where you know the limits but it would work well on tour when you are concentrating on many things.
I’m surprise VW are legally allowed to display the wrong speed limit for the vehicle type on the SatNav. I guess its a small print thing!

Stick to the speed limit ...and don't have a lapse is my advice ...i have been done twice in one year and sadly it is as simple as that .
I’ve had Road Pilots, Road Angels and even a Snooper jammer back in the day, but after being up to 9 points at one stage 7yrs ago I just don’t speed any more, losing my license would wreck my, and others close to me, lives so it’s just not worth it to me

Back