Speed Camera Detectors

I knew people would say "don't speed"....and they're quite right. I drive like a vicar these days....but there have been times when I've thought "oh bollocks.....what was the speed limit on that stretch of road when I passed that camera van?" You see gents.....I keep reminding the lovely Mrs MD that the last perfect man was crucified 2000 years ago....usually just after I've been bollocked (again) for not doing an extra "courtesy" flush on the bog! Anyway.....thanks for the comments.....all constructive.:thumbsup:

I have a Discovery media SatNav in my van which displays the speed limit for the road I’m on (except unclassified roads) but it annoys me that the limit displayed is not correct for a van ie 60 in a 70 and 50 in a 60. Surely it would be easy for VW to fix this, just software i would imaging. I also have in the MFD a user set maximum speed limit audible warning which is not very useful as maximum speed limits vary. Again i feel it would very easy to link the MDF warning to the SatNav determined maximum. I think this would be a very useful feature, ok not too necessary in your local area where you know the limits but it would work well on tour when you are concentrating on many things.
I’m surprise VW are legally allowed to display the wrong speed limit for the vehicle type on the SatNav. I guess its a small print thing!
Surely VW could include a speed limiter even my £14k Suzuki has this, you select your speed and throttle backs off.
It also has the Pioneer AVIC head unit which warns you when you are over a speed limit, you can even set the % tolerance, come on VW!

Another option which I use is a Garmin 55 (or newer 65) dash cam. Has an updatable speed camera database which seems to reliably pick up fixed, red light and mobile cameras in the UK (I haven’t tried it abroad). About £120 for the Garmin 55 on Amazon and at Halfords. It has some other features which may or may not be of use. Good day and night time video quality. Can be left on to detect a collision when parked (obviously only in the camera’s field of view), but watch battery drain if vehicle is left undrived for days. The solution to this is Garmin’s ‘parking mode’ hard wire connection which automatically turns off at low battery charge. A bit expensive at £30, but currently £20 at Halfords.
The camera runs warm and will switch off if it overheats. This has happened when parked on a hot day, but not whilst driving.

Back