Which Speed/camera detector

Sounds like there’s no 100% accurate device

Who uses Wase then

Andy

As per my original post above Andy, I use Waze and am a diligent contributor ... obviously, that's the point of it.

I've found it really good. It's had all the fixed cameras in my experience so far .... but obviously because of the 'community' way it works, it can also get the mobile vans they move around every few hours and also on sunny days when the Police fancy a bit of 'from behind the tree' radar gunning. Obviously, if you're the first there .... :( ... I guess nothing is 100%

I've also found it good for debris, road kill and pothole warnings as well.

Last edited:
I've been using Waze since 2011 and was a map editor until 2016.
It's not perfect and depends upon a community using it to get live updates and route changes. All the fixed cameras are updated weekly, and mobile units by users as they're seen.

Evening all,

Looking for your thoughts on speed camera detectors such as the Road Angel Pure?

Never had one prior to my van so trying to get your input on what serves its purpose the best?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Pete

I have always used my right foot - no speeding infractions in over 50 years driving. Costs nothing as well.

Reactions: Jlo
These devices are unable to circumvent average speed cameras, which are becoming more common now.

I have always used my right foot - no speeding infractions in over 50 years driving. Costs nothing as well.
It was the same for me until recently.

Change of road signs, after 5 years of being a 40 the signs changed to the 30 however they also decided not to replace the 40 repeater signs. And the rest is well, I don’t need to say

I am not bothered about the cameras as it’s more the road speed notification I wish to utilise.

So I ask again what speed sign/notification devices are there on the market and your thoughts please?

Change of road signs, after 5 years of being a 40 the signs changed to the 30 however they also decided not to replace the 40 repeater signs. And the rest is well, I don’t need to say
You would have grounds for an appeal in those circumstances.

Cop at side of the road with laser speed gun. The gun doesn't emit anything until the Officer points it at your van and pulls the trigger. On detecting the laser, your Road Angel bleeps out its warning. However your front bumper has dropped you right in the soft and smelly because its compressed the frequency of the arriving laser light and bounced it right back to whence it came. PC Plod simply releases the trigger on said gun, locking in the reading on its display. He/she instantly has calibrated confirmation that you've been a naughty boy.

Seems a lot of money to spend on a device that tells you you've just been rumbled.

Last edited:

Google maps has a speed limit warning notice, leave it running while you’re driving and you can glance at the screen to check the speed limit for the road you are currently on :thumbsup:

Google maps has a speed limit warning notice, leave it running while you’re driving and you can glance at the screen to check the speed limit for the road you are currently on :thumbsup:
And Google Maps is surprisingly well maintained, including local traffic conditions

My Thinkware Q800 Pro dash cam comes with location based spoken speed camera warnings and speed limit alerts, along with mobile speed camera locations. It can get a bit repetitive at times, but when you're driving in an unfamiliar location it helps keep you on the right side of the law. There used to be laser jammers around that would fire a laser back and blind the speed gun but they are totally illegal. A boy racer in or around Newport in South Wales kept avoiding detection and drove around like a complete tool, putting lives at risk. Eventually they got him and rather than speeding offences he was done for perverting the course of justice, which carries a maximum of life..... :thumbsup:

I am not bothered about the cameras as it’s more the road speed notification I wish to utilise.

So I ask again what speed sign/notification devices are there on the market and your thoughts please?
If you have Apple CarPlay run Waze as it displays the road speed and you can set it to bleep if you exceed the limit

As @Nigel W says, Waze has everything you need.
Talk of laser guns takes me back to my noughties M car days when we all had jammers fitted at the front - and then all hurriedly removed them a year later when one of our number was pulled over after a suspicious traffic cop twigged and was done for perverting the course etc and fined way more than the speeding ticket would have been. The Road Pilot was the instrument of choice in those days but I assume they’ve all been superceded by GPS nav apps nowadays.

I also have been using Waze since 2011 across the EU and now in Spain for the foreseeable future. The warnings are great and very up to date. I have asked Waze to make the speed warning screen in the top right hand corner much bigger and I believe that's in hand for future updates.

The best thing about it (other than it's free) is the live updates ie: I see a car broken down in side of the road - I press a button in screen and seconds later the cars in the same road get a warning. Same with mobile radar trans etc etc etc - even pot holes are reported............

Back