Run flats

hilift

Anybody running with runflats on 20's ??
My car is on 19" runflats with staggered wheels , it is occasionally a bit harsh but the security with runflats and no spare ( 2 sizes ) is an enormous bonus from punctures .
We just bought a t6 sportline with staggered wheels on 20's with go flats ( pun ) .
What are peeps thinking on here as advice would be greatly received

Never tried them on a van, but hated them on a previous car.

We had them on a rental last year, noisy enough to put me off them with our own van. Just a tin of goop now for us on staggered 20's

When you have the provisions to carry a spare wheel, why wouldn't you? As long as you don't have a 4Mo, as long as the spare is somewhere near the right size, it will keep you moving in the short term.

I don't and won't carry a full size jack and I believe r18 is about the largest spare you can fit underneath, I now have a spare same style 20 (controversially welded) tyred up ready to go languishing at home in the garage. Obviously great if we are in another country! I certainly wouldn't trust the VW supplied jack with our baby van weighing in at 2440kg! Goop it is for now!

I don't and won't carry a full size jack and I believe r18 is about the largest spare you can fit underneath, I now have a spare same style 20 (controversially welded) tyred up ready to go languishing at home in the garage. Obviously great if we are in another country! I certainly wouldn't trust the VW supplied jack with our baby van weighing in at 2440kg! Goop it is for now!
Is a bottle jack no good either? They are cheap enough and take up very little space.

An 18" wheel with a standard size tyre will be pretty close in diameter to your 20" wheels with lower profile tyres, so could be used as a temporary spare.

We have an elderly labrador, we have wide plate side boards on our van to give him an extra step up! A trolley jack is the only thing that will go under! Even they were a pain for the guys fitting new tyres! When the old boy pops off then I can re-visit proper side bars and alternative jacks! I was very impressed with the blow up jack they had which was nice and flat but it chose my fitting to pack up!

Not sure where the advantage is with run flat tyres as they can't be repaired when they do get punctured, they're not actually puncture proof and they make a shed load of noise as you crawl along post puncture.
We had an e90 with run flats and that thing drove poorly with Michelin and then Conti run flats, it would lunge mid corner and constantly hunting, swapped to conventional Goodyear Eagles a compressor and slime kit and confidence restored.
20s with run flats would be like running in diving boots.

Anybody running with runflats on 20's ??
My car is on 19" runflats with staggered wheels , it is occasionally a bit harsh but the security with runflats and no spare ( 2 sizes ) is an enormous bonus from punctures .
We just bought a t6 sportline with staggered wheels on 20's with go flats ( pun ) .
What are peeps thinking on here as advice would be greatly received
Had run flats on a Mini Cooper. Loads of tyre noise. Got a tear in the side wall about 5 miles from home so there was instant deflation. The repair kit was obviously useless. Fortunately we were visiting a friend. Put the car on the drive, jacked it up, removed the wheel leaving the car on an axle stand and went off to the local garage for a new tyre. It was just lucky that we had somewhere to put the car off the road and away from where it might get unwanted attention. Also that we had alternative transport. It took a couple of hours for the garage to get the replacement tyre. Would avoid run flats on this experience.

From personal experience run flats niche are where you have a reasonably modern car but no tyre pressure monitoring.

I had an incident on the XC70 where I managed to drive about 5 miles on a deflating rear tyre that the self leveling suspension and general stability control completely hid from me and the decent sound insulation prevented me from hearing.

Luckily it was only a local journey, had it not been I might have done a lot more damage. Run flats wouldn't have solved everything in that, but they'd have given me a bit more time to notice.

And no the tyre gunk was no use and in the end I had to get the breakdown guy out as no way could I free the alloy wheel from it's death grip on the hub, even with considerable application of profanities.

Back