South Wales to Switzerland

taff1888

Hi everyone. So in two weeks we (me, the wife and our 3 year old) are driving for a week in a lodge in Switzerland. The holiday has been booked for over a year and intially we were driving in the car. Since covid came around we greatly expected the holiday to be cancelled and are now proud t6 owners.

However the holiday is on (good news) so the vehicle has been changed for the ferry and we took the opportunity to extend the holiday by a few days and take out time driving over and back mainly for out 3 year olds benefit.

We will have a one night stop somewhere in France on the way over and coming back, two nights in France in different locations slowly making our way closer back to Calais.

The reason for my post is we haven't ever done anything like this before abroad. Has anyone had a problem using Aires in France in a t6 as they seem to be more focused on motorhomes? We are tempted to use an Aires on the way over but coming home would be happy to pull up on a semi decent campsite for a night. Does anyone have and campsite suggestions that would work for the journey back?

And any suggestions for keeping a 3 year old occupied in the back of the van for an extended period would be great.

Wish me luck and I appreciate any advice or tips.

No problems in French aires with a van, just remember that in August they maybe busy so don’t arrive last thing at night expecting to find a perfect pitch. I can’t imagine long driving days with a 3 year old so I’m guessing your driving days will be short.
Reims and Epernay in Champagne region are worth a visit if you’re passing that way and interested in the Champagne industry (there isn’t much there for a 3 year old), there is a casual aire in the region set in woodland. I’ve only ever used aires as somewhere to sleep for the night so from my perspective I only look for water and a quiet night.
Luxembourg will have the cheapest fuel If you are in the area although in 2020 they have tried to align prices.
Food and drink is expensive in Switzerland so if you are doing any self catering stock up in France.
The Swiss travel passes are good value if you make full use of them everyday, the venicular railways link up with regular rail and buses like clockwork. You can buy the passes before traveling or in a Tourist Information Centre. My advice is wait for a weather forecast as not much point of being in the mountains if they are shrouded in cloud.
Switzerland is a stunning country.

No problems in French aires with a van, just remember that in August they maybe busy so don’t arrive last thing at night expecting to find a perfect pitch. I can’t imagine long driving days with a 3 year old so I’m guessing your driving days will be short.
Reims and Epernay in Champagne region are worth a visit if you’re passing that way and interested in the Champagne industry (there isn’t much there for a 3 year old), there is a casual aire in the region set in woodland. I’ve only ever used aires as somewhere to sleep for the night so from my perspective I only look for water and a quiet night.
Luxembourg will have the cheapest fuel If you are in the area although in 2020 they have tried to align prices.
Food and drink is expensive in Switzerland so if you are doing any self catering stock up in France.
The Swiss travel passes are good value if you make full use of them everyday, the venicular railways link up with regular rail and buses like clockwork. You can buy the passes before traveling or in a Tourist Information Centre. My advice is wait for a weather forecast as not much point of being in the mountains if they are shrouded in cloud.
Switzerland is a stunning country.

Yeah I'm struggling to imagine it aswell. Hope we haven't bitten off more than we can chew. Great advice thanks alot.

hi mate same as above never felt unsafe in aires look at vicarious books lots of books/maps on stopovers sale on at moment got 4th edition all aires france you can use if you don't want to buy one a sanef toll tag saves time at tolls august can be mad busy:thumbsup:

Back