Scotland/Ireland road trip.

The black mamba

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Any suggestions for places to stay near Lochs/parks in Scotland please? I'm taking my two children with me, 10 and 12 years old, this will be our first major excursion. I may try a detour to Ireland on the way back if we haven't all fallen out. It's been a really hard year for my two (both live with me, single dad) and for the first time I have the school summer holidays off as parental leave (unpaid). I'm trying to keep costs down, have a great life long memory with lots of adventure. Thanks

morning, my first recommendation is Home - Glenmore Campsite right next to Loch Morlich, you have so many activities round about including going up to see the reindeer (can walk in the herd, feed them) the kids will love that.

When I get home later on I’ll send you a bigger list, I have two boy 2 and 9 so my camp site choices are all based on them. Another one off the top of my head is Glen Nevis, you can hike a small loop of the bottom of Ben Nevis mountian, or go to the top, there is an amazing absolutely massive waterfall just 10 minutes up the road as well.

Have a search on here @The black mamba sure last year there was a great post with lots of ideas....I'll try find if someone doesn't beat me to it! Lots around Scottish borders and south west Scotland if want to split up journey. We've looked recently and East Coast looks to have more opportunities. West Coast and Highlands very expensive from what we saw.... Northern Ireland now.... I'd be booking onto ferry and exploring. Lots and lots to do and see and everything very close to each other!

Any suggestions for places to stay near Lochs/parks in Scotland please? I'm taking my two children with me, 10 and 12 years old, this will be our first major excursion. I may try a detour to Ireland on the way back if we haven't all fallen out. It's been a really hard year for my two (both live with me, single dad) and for the first time I have the school summer holidays off as parental leave (unpaid). I'm trying to keep costs down, have a great life long memory with lots of adventure. Thanks
That's amazing, thankyou.

Have a search on here @The black mamba sure last year there was a great post with lots of ideas....I'll try find if someone doesn't beat me to it! Lots around Scottish borders and south west Scotland if want to split up journey. We've looked recently and East Coast looks to have more opportunities. West Coast and Highlands very expensive from what we saw.... Northern Ireland now.... I'd be booking onto ferry and exploring. Lots and lots to do and see and everything very close to each other!
Thanks for the advice. Where do you get the ferry for Northern Ireland?

morning, my first recommendation is Home - Glenmore Campsite right next to Loch Morlich, you have so many activities round about including going up to see the reindeer (can walk in the herd, feed them) the kids will love that.

When I get home later on I’ll send you a bigger list, I have two boy 2 and 9 so my camp site choices are all based on them. Another one off the top of my head is Glen Nevis, you can hike a small loop of the bottom of Ben Nevis mountian, or go to the top, there is an amazing absolutely massive waterfall just 10 minutes up the road as well.
The camp site looks perfect. That's exactly what I'm looking for, booking that ! If you have any other suggestions I'd really appreciate it. Do you think five nights is enough to do all the things around it? Thanks Al.

The camp site looks perfect. That's exactly what I'm looking for, booking that ! If you have any other suggestions I'd really appreciate it. Do you think five nights is enough to do all the things around it? Thanks Al.
Have a look at Landmark forest adventure park in Carrbridge north of Aviemore

Not an easy fix have a look into mountain biking as their are plenty of trail centres in both Scotland and Ireland and great fun. Will need some initial investment but long term would be money well spent and an easy fix for for some great adventures and memories for all. We do this with most trips and no end of places to visit and never stuck for options!! Good luck

Not an easy fix have a look into mountain biking as their are plenty of trail centres in both Scotland and Ireland and great fun. Will need some initial investment but long term would be money well spent and an easy fix for for some great adventures and memories for all. We do this with most trips and no end of places to visit and never stuck for options!! Good luck
Thanks

A couple of recommendations from my recent Scotland trip.
1 - The NC500 road from Lochcarron over to Applecross and then on round to Torridon.
2 - The Luss campsite on the West bank of Loch Lomond. Both stunning in their own way.

Can't directly recommend sites as not camped recently but in terms of areas I'd certainly recommend Dumfries and Galloway as an area. Used to take the family caravan up there several years back and it's an area that lots of folks miss either going to the Lakes, the Highlands or hopping across on the ferry. Cream O Galloway is a great place to visit, amazing local ice cream and a family adventure centre.

We also really enjoy the area around Loch Tay and Loch Rannoch as again they are a bit quieter than the popular areas around Loch Lomond or Loch Ness but we normally hire an apartment or lodge and then road trip. The area around Killin has a lot of sites from basic to glamping and is a good centre for adventure type walking.

Thanks, looked up Galloway and it's only about two and a half hours from Dublin, catch the ferry from Liverpool on the way back from Scotland, looks like a great trip.

Thanks, looked up Galloway and it's only about two and a half hours from Dublin, catch the ferry from Liverpool on the way back from Scotland, looks like a great trip.
@The black mamba if booking Stenaline from Cairnryan or Liverpool and cannot get hands on discount code PM me... only 10 percent but still approx £40 for food on boat or bit of fuel!

On the way up North stop at the Marshland Alpaca campsite just south of Hull. £20 a night without hookup (£24 with I think) and you get to help feed the Alpacas in the morning.
I did it this morning... :thumbsup:

Personally, I wouldn't try and do Ireland at the same time - you could end up short-changing both locations.
You might want to have a looky at this website from Fife Coast & Countryside Trust who are being remarkably sensible about campervan/motorhome parking:

Overnight Parking - Fife Coast & Countryside Trust

(yes, there are lochs in Fife, it's a lovely almost undiscovered area)

Of course, once all the miserable b*st*ards have left their rubbish, BBQ trays and toilet waste behind, and thoroughly abused the scheme, it will be withdrawn, so enjoy this whilst you can.

Last edited:
We've just done our third 3-week camping trip in Scotland in as many years (and will probably go again next year).

I see that Glanmore, Luss and Glen Nevis campsites have already been recommended by others and I'll second all of those.

Can also recommend;

Torvaig campsite, Portree, Isle of Skye. Your boys may enjoy conquering the Old Man of Storr whis is not far up the road.

Sunnyside Croft campsite, Arisaig. Beautiful beach.

Sango Sands campsite, Durness. Perched high on a cliff with stunning vriews. The A838 there from Laxford Bridge is also stunning, being part of the NC500.

If you have time, also worth a trip over to the Outer Hebrides from Skye - for the main part, great uncrowded roads and more stunning scenery. If you do go, the "Black Village" and the Callanish Stones are worth a visit.

Either on the way up or on the way back, an overnight or two in Coniston. Your boys (and you) would find the Campbell museum interesting and. time permitting, a climb of Coniston Old Man.

Hope this helps

Darryl

Back