sourcing coloured formica birch ply

Many converters use HPL instead of plywood to reduce the weight of cabinets.
For worktops check out Corian.

My problem is sourcing a distributor in scotland, near Glasgow.
Difficult to get a delivery of a board or two. If anyone has recommendations for suppliers?

HPL is high pressure laminate i believe. Made slightly different from ply, as it has less cores.

You may need to travel or ship to get what you want. When I was looking for HPL samples I used this company, they were helpful.

Very pricey and limited selection to buy pre-laminated from my experience.

Better to laminate yourself, its not that hard if you are making furniture anyway. Buy the formica, buy contact adhesive, cover both surfaces and roller down then pin for 24h. Really not hard. If its an item that needs to stay straight, laminate both sides. Then trim router it.

I was able to make my furniture from bamboo ply with morland formica facing doing this.

Better to laminate yourself, its not that hard if you are making furniture anyway. Buy the formica, buy contact adhesive, cover both surfaces and roller down then pin for 24h. Really not hard. If its an item that needs to stay straight, laminate both sides. Then trim router it.

I was able to make my furniture from bamboo ply with morland formica facing doing this.
Top advice! And you get the laminate you want

that's great advice! Will look into it with my carpenter buddy. Sounds like a more sensible way of doing it and getting the job right for such a small quantity of stuff.

Thanks for the HPL steer too guys, will look further into it - my design mixes natural birch ply and coloured laminate, so don't think it will be right for this job.

Any pictures of this please?

Back