T6 - birch ply - camper conversion

Branwell

T6 Pro
One minor positive that the lockdown has given me is time. So I have finally completed my camper conversion of my T6 Kombi. I use the Kombi for work so I had to make it dual purpose and I also wanted to make everything removable, so the vehicle remains original underneath.

First job was to fit the swivel seats (two singles). I liked the look of the Sportscraft swivels but didn’t fancy the faff of modifying the handbrake, so opted for RIB swivels. Ordered from Clearcut conversions and very happy with how easy they were to fit. I made a table and mounted it to the van using a piece of ply sandwiched between the bench seat and the floor. Then, table was fitted with a Fiamma leg. Seems to work ok. Had to apply a little silicone grease to stop the tube ends getting stuck inside the conical mounts.
20200422_150034.jpg

The rear bed unit, is made from 18mm birch ply, secured to the floor using the anchor points. The panels on the top are hinged so the whole thing can be slid out.
20200423_114319.jpg

20200423_114341.jpg

The bed base is made up of three panels (12mm ply with pine added for extra support). The panels sit on a ledge on the inside of the unit. The base was going to be full width and hinged so it could fold up. But once I had made it, I found it quite heavy and due to the sloping in of the walls, its awkward to set up.
20200423_114555.jpg
20200423_122704.jpg

Thats it for now, just got to make some blinds, then thats us ready for a staycation on the driveway.

One minor positive that the lockdown has given me is time. So I have finally completed my camper conversion of my T6 Kombi. I use the Kombi for work so I had to make it dual purpose and I also wanted to make everything removable, so the vehicle remains original underneath.

First job was to fit the swivel seats (two singles). I liked the look of the Sportscraft swivels but didn’t fancy the faff of modifying the handbrake, so opted for RIB swivels. Ordered from Clearcut conversions and very happy with how easy they were to fit. I made a table and mounted it to the van using a piece of ply sandwiched between the bench seat and the floor. Then, table was fitted with a Fiamma leg. Seems to work ok. Had to apply a little silicone grease to stop the tube ends getting stuck inside the conical mounts.
View attachment 66919

The rear bed unit, is made from 18mm birch ply, secured to the floor using the anchor points. The panels on the top are hinged so the whole thing can be slid out.
View attachment 66920

View attachment 66921

The bed base is made up of three panels (12mm ply with pine added for extra support). The panels sit on a ledge on the inside of the unit. The base was going to be full width and hinged so it could fold up. But once I had made it, I found it quite heavy and due to the sloping in of the walls, its awkward to set up.
View attachment 66922
View attachment 66923

Thats it for now, just got to make some blinds, then thats us ready for a staycation on the driveway.
What a great way to keep the original van and just the cost of ply and your time. This would be fantastic for people buying a van on PCP or HP who still want the ability to go camping. It looks cool as well. Top job.

Looks fab - very inspirational! I’m mulling over designs at the moment. I’m thinking CLS frame that bolts together in an H pattern with ply top.

Thanks for the comments. I forget to mention that I did have an Exploria bed when we bought the van but found the fixed bed base got in the way too much when loading my tools in the back. Plus it rattled!

As an update to my original post in this thread I am now looking at storage areas within the Kombi. I like the look of the Kiravan’s DoorStore and shall be adding that to my shopping list (hopefully making use of their current money off promotion).

I have been looking at the rear interior side panels of the Kombi and wandering what storage would fit in there. It is always useful to have somewhere you can put phones, headphones etc… when the bed is set up. After a bit of Googling I have found some potential solutions:

Netting…cheap and effective...
81mVgTpmzAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
attached using the supplied mounting screwed into the Kombi panel trim clip holes, using

F0279098-01.jpg

Slightly more substantial I also found these…

71BETm79MFL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

I then found these handy Thule organisers, more pricey but I like the style…

580043_sized_1800x1200_rev_1.jpg

Then after spotting something on Instagram, I found this company in Germany (SummerMobil) who sell panels specifically for this…

Seitenverkleidung.jpg

If anyone can suggest other storage ideas I would be interested in hearing of other options…

Back