Sorry, another pop-top thread

RobFlynn

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi, I'm seriously considering a t6/6.1 conversion but the mental hurdle I need to get over is which roof. I've found loads of advice and others' experiences on here already which has been illuminating. The biggest issue I have is that I'm really fussy. Manufacturers show loads of pictures with roofs up but little detail on how things look with roof down. Can anyone share pictures of there roofs when down - inside and/or outside? I'm particularly interested in the access point from above cab into roof andhow the leading edge of the roof looks from the top of the windscreen back. Hopefully you can help me whittle down the options before I start visiting fitters to getter proper eyeballs on things. Thanks

Skyline have several options in terms of the look from outside (varying thicknesses). They use cam locks rather than straps, so cleaner and tidier inside, and optionally have an internal board that slides over to cover the whole thing - very clean in my opinion.

There have been reports of issues with the locks not holding firm but personally I wouldn't let that put you off other than to ensure you are careful selecting your fitter.

Hi,
If you’re local to Glossop we have Reimo and Storm roofs on-site fitted to vehicles that you’re welcome to take a look at.

I have finished and partway through conversion vans available.

Brandon

Hi, I'm seriously considering a t6/6.1 conversion but the mental hurdle I need to get over is which roof. I've found loads of advice and others' experiences on here already which has been illuminating. The biggest issue I have is that I'm really fussy. Manufacturers show loads of pictures with roofs up but little detail on how things look with roof down. Can anyone share pictures of there roofs when down - inside and/or outside? I'm particularly interested in the access point from above cab into roof andhow the leading edge of the roof looks from the top of the windscreen back. Hopefully you can help me whittle down the options before I start visiting fitters to getter proper eyeballs on things. Thanks
Get yourself down to the NEC in February...

Caravan, Camping and Motorhome Show 20223

You'll get to see various types of pop-tops and numerous conversion companies. Nothing beats seeing these things in person...spent ages deliberating over mine

@amo1968red Thanks, I need a new vehicle fairly quickly and was caught earlier between buying a van as a base or buying a Cali. Cali is now out of the picture so it looks like It'll be a van very soon and then lots of time to think about a roof later. A trip to the NEC looks useful.

Hi,
If you’re local to Glossop we have Reimo and Storm roofs on-site fitted to vehicles that you’re welcome to take a look at.

I have finished and partway through conversion vans available.

Brandon
I'm only half an hour from Glossop. Are you around on Saturday? I may be over in Sheffield and could take a detour.

Skyline have several options in terms of the look from outside (varying thicknesses). They use cam locks rather than straps, so cleaner and tidier inside, and optionally have an internal board that slides over to cover the whole thing - very clean in my opinion.

There have been reports of issues with the locks not holding firm but personally I wouldn't let that put you off other than to ensure you are careful selecting your fitter.
Those cam locks look good. Definitely one to put on the list to see in the flesh. Thanks.

The one thing that bugs me about my Reimo roof, is the fabric catching in the hinges when you close it. There are techniques to try and avoid that, such as a sharp upwards push just before fully closing the roof to suck the fabric in, or a large bungee cord permanently pulled tight all around the roof, but the best way is for someone to push the fabric in manually just before closing. Something to check on any that you look at.
Other than that my Reimo is great. Not as discreet as some and uses straps rather than cam-locks, but still seems secure.

Get yourself down to the NEC in February...

Caravan, Camping and Motorhome Show 20223

You'll get to see various types of pop-tops and numerous conversion companies. Nothing beats seeing these things in person...spent ages deliberating over mine
I guess all the roofs will be up though so you’d need to ask them to close them to see what you asked.

Another option would be to go to a meet up somewhere

I guess all the roofs will be up though so you’d need to ask them to close them to see what you asked.

Another option would be to go to a meet up somewhere
That is true...but any conversion company will drop the roof if asked, easy enough to do, right? Also...you'll soon realise there's only really a handful of roofs out there, so you're going to keep seeing the same ones over and over when you move from stand to stand. I looked at so many before I took the plunge, I'm pretty sure I can tell you what the roof is just by looking at the roof profile, even when closed ;)

Those pesky stealth roofs (edit - stealth in so far as, easily hidden...not stealth the brand) are trickier to spot when down (I have one of these)...but I think I can identify these when up too. I'm not proud of this superpower, btw ;)

Last edited:
How do the stealth type of roof stack up against the generic ugly duckling type roofs?
I'm thinking here of how does the top bed and mattress fit in to the vans roofline without reducing headroom within the rear of the van, by mattress I mean the wafer thin memory foam type too rather than the thick IKEA stone slab we've got at home.

I have a "stealth"roof - chosen because of its discreet looks which I love, I don't think there's more than 25mm clearance between roof and bedboard when down and this has to accommodate the roof canvas!

Who says they don't reduce headroom? ;)

I have a Hilo (now called Horizon) and it absolutely reduces headroom. Not enough to render it unusable, but others might disagree. It's a trade-off.

I'm 5'10" and can sit with my Variotech pushed right back and still have enough headroom...but it's snug. If I were much taller, it'd become a challenge.

Those cam locks look good. Definitely one to put on the list to see in the flesh. Thanks.
Hi I am at present having a storm fitted to my new t6.1 panel van happy to take some pictures as soon as it has been fitted
I have also asked for the company to take shots while being installed
A coupe of things I did like about this one is the base board / sleeping board hinges towards the rear of the van giving extra head room when up in the air
The other thing is the sliding close off part that pulls over the head area in the cab when down looked neat
Happy to share as soon as possible but have got a few of the roof type fitted on another van A82DDB8E-BCA8-45C2-83FB-44DA5297BDBA.jpegA82DDB8E-BCA8-45C2-83FB-44DA5297BDBA.jpeg2AEB281B-DE35-4D92-BA48-0A17375760B7.pngF07567DE-ECE5-4993-9A28-21D2C9E570C1.png0D844A31-B8FB-4873-BF02-884D7BECBB00.png64346E00-C722-49CD-AA00-000D43F210C2.jpeg4C353657-37CA-492F-9475-C808823F55E2.jpegF97E03CC-62C8-4AAD-8F98-2EB66F0F46BA.jpeg

The one thing that bugs me about my Reimo roof, is the fabric catching in the hinges when you close it.
That shouldn’t happen if you have the plastic strip inserts in the canvas near the hinges. They fold in by themselves unless they’ve been damaged.
If they are damaged there’s no need to buy Reimo parts it just a strip of acetate, if you are replacing I would do them in polycarbonate and they won’t get damaged again.

That shouldn’t happen if you have the plastic strip inserts in the canvas near the hinges. They fold in by themselves unless they’ve been damaged.
If they are damaged there’s no need to buy Reimo parts it just a strip of acetate, if you are replacing I would do them in polycarbonate and they won’t get damaged again.
Plastic strip insert? Tell me more.
My fabric seems to get trapped at the front of the hinge mechanism, where there is a U sapped cut out in the bracket attached to the van roof, so horizontal. The roof fabric appears strengthened in this area, but looks (from memory) to just be double-layer.

Plastic strip insert? Tell me more.
My fabric seems to get trapped at the front of the hinge mechanism, where there is a U sapped cut out in the bracket attached to the van roof, so horizontal. The roof fabric appears strengthened in this area, but looks (from memory) to just be double-layer.
Took forever to find a photo online, my roof is a SWB easifit VTEC, not sure if this arrangement is on other Reimo roofs but no reason why it wouldn’t work.
100% automatic, just the front to pull inside when lowering the roof.

8B89954E-75D9-4A73-8C41-A2EFB20453C2.jpeg

Back