Solutions For Parking On Grass

Ayjay

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Since buying our T6 camper, I have had to park it on the grass in the front garden and the grass is slowly getting chewed to bits (the drive is only just long enough for our two other cars). Before getting it, I didn’t realise just how poor it would be on the original Hankook tyres when driving away and the grass is wet – switching off the traction control might help in such circumstances but it can’t be done on my Highline 2WD. Parking on the grass is not going to be a permanent thing but will have to go on until at least next summer as we need all the cars until then. On that basis, I certainly don’t want to go through the pain and expense of tarmac, brick or any similar hard surface and therefore stated thinking about matting of some description. A quick google threw up these as an example of the sort of thing that I’m considering:
Grass Protection Rubber Matting

I reckon 8 of them will do the job giving an ample parking surface of 2M x 6M but I was wondering if any others on here have used them or could suggest alternative solutions. Any advice would be much appreciated.

They are not good on grass. We have 2wd camper and it is awful , had to find gravel dig out a few times. We now use mats for parking on which do work.

Deaston & Dell, Thanks for that. I had seen both of your suggestions and discounted them on the basis that the green stuff (Deaston) was quite pricey (and I would have had to buy a lot more than I actually need which seems a waste) and the black stuff (Dell) might have worked but might also have sunk into the ground more easily than the rubber stuff linked in my original (but might also have worked out cheaper for the same coverage).

Have either of you actually used any such thing?

Keep the suggestions and advice coming please.

i think the idea is you can fill those ones with gravel etc etc,

seen them being used for larger driveways.....

i have a set of 4 of them, and use them as a base in the utility tent for showers on grass fields when camping (without gravel !!). . . . that way you dont get muddy feet over the weekend after a shower or wash down....

also good in the garden over winter time to make a temp path over the mud/grass to the shed.(without gravel !!)

they wash off nice....

not sure how well they would fair with the wight on a van on them without gravel?? . . . . . . though they are very sturdy.

i think whatever you use . . . . . it will sink in the mud over a wet winter with the weight of the van on the 4 wheels . . .

you might have to use the filled gravel idea, or maybe use something to spread the weight below any rubber matting.?

Try fibreglass core decking, various grades and sizes available. This sheet is rigid and should resist sinking.
The grass will grow though it.
Not cheap but indestructible.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions people, In the end, I went for something not dissimilar to that suggested by Deaston - I actually got this stuff:
Grass Protection Mesh | Car Parking Protection Mesh
The total bill for the (perfectly sized and therefore no need to trim!!) 2.5M x 5M piece, a pack of 50 galvanised metal 6" staples and shipping was £150 which seems a lot of money for what is just a piece of thick plastic net but would be cheap at half the price if it works. The idea is that the grass simply grows through it and it almost dissappears from sight in the end. Only time will tell but it seems plenty tough enough for the task.
The only real issue that I had was unrolling it and trying to get it to lay flat. I guess that would have been a lot easier had the weather been a bit warmer but I'm hoping that it will settle a bit with time. Anyway FWIW here's some pics of it in situ:

DSC01291.JPG 002.jpg View attachment 53588

View attachment 53591

003.jpg

Last edited:
Just discovering how awful T6s are on damp grass. Last week reversed onto a perfectly flat grass pitch, set up the tent went to align the Van and the awning and i could not get traction. Today just about got off the Raglan Castle overflow car park. Might have to invest in mats at this rate

Reactions: CAB
We use a plastic grid thing like you have there from our local builders merchants , fill with pea gravel they work a treat we did dig out under it and fill with some hardcore then sharp sand and gravel.
Parked on it every day no issues at all

In an emergency I'll deploy the cheap floor mats I have in the back of the Caravelle or in a pinch use the cab floor mats.

I've got exactly the same yellow 'grip mats' as @cgtmiles and like him have never actually had to deploy them (although we've had a few slippery moments but always managed to get under way again!). The said, they take up next to no space it's always nice to know they're there just in case...
I'd actually forgotten that I started this thread back in 2019 so just for comp[eteness, here's a picture of the grass as of this morning - the green mesh is still there but has flattened out and more or less disappeared into the grass. The surface is also a reasonably non-slip and good to park on even though we no longer need it very often as we're a car down nowadays. Mind you, the grass itself leaves a lot to be desired after what seems like a long wet winter!

Grass.jpg

Last edited:
I bought something similar to these when we got the ramps. Never used them but they sit in the van just in case using 0 space

They look great...

Might need something like this at spring camp.

I'll have a look around.

Back