Wheel Spin

XZO

T6 Pro
I am confused, any help appreciated.

I thought my T6 2wd had TC but yesterday when on slippery mud/grass one wheel was on a hard surface and the other on the grass. The grass wheel spun and no traction. I thought it would lock and drive passed to the wheel on the hard surface?

I managed to get traction and move off but it was not as easy as I assumed it would be.

Mine is a 150 DSG 68plate Caravelle Exec.

Standard traction control will struggle with such a severe difference in traction surfaces. It may back off the power a little to the spinning wheel, but you need a proper locking or limited slip diff to do what you describe.

Pete

I am confused, any help appreciated.

I thought my T6 2wd had TC but yesterday when on slippery mud/grass one wheel was on a hard surface and the other on the grass. The grass wheel spun and no traction. I thought it would lock and drive passed to the wheel on the hard surface?

I managed to get traction and move off but it was not as easy as I assumed it would be.

Mine is a 150 DSG 68plate Caravelle Exec.
That's because the t6 has an open diff. If it had a lsd (limited slip diff) then the lsd would limit the slipping wheel and transfer power/torque to the wheel with grip.
Traction control cannot do that to individual wheels as its cuts engine power to both wheels.

I was under the impresion that traction control on open diff vehicles was simply a case of the ABS sensing different wheel speeds and applying a brake accordingly thus sending drive to the spinning side.

It's not really traction control, it's ESP, or Electronic Stability Program.

It works using the individual wheels speed sensors and steering angles to work out how much of a slide you are about to have, then brakes the appropriate wheel in an attempt to help straighten thing up.

Hmm, the brochure said, see below, meant to have Traction Control as well - see bottom of list
upload_2020-2-3_18-20-17.png

As above, we will all have traction control, but it can’t cope with such extreme conditions under each wheel. It’s designed to limit slip when, say, you pull away on a wet surface, with similar conditions under each wheel. Even then it can’t stop a wheel spinning if you really go for it.

Your best friend in extreme conditions is not technology, but a gentle right foot.

Pete

I can confirm the diff won't cope well in this situation

We were stuck on a really icy / snow covered hill and one wheel just left spinning until the 'brains' just started cutting power

The only way out was to throw some gravel under the tyres!

Will be retro fitting the traction control override button asap.....

Must say I feel conned. I am often on slippery ground and have always had 4x4 or AWD but silly me I thought the T6 had proper TC. Bo-lox

This is an option for you :

Traction Control

I have the parts and hope to do this soon, as mentioned I wish I had this already...

Will also be carrying a small box of gravel with me from now on :)

Must say I feel conned. I am often on slippery ground and have always had 4x4 or AWD but silly me I thought the T6 had proper TC. Bo-lox
You’ve not been conned, you’ve got traction control, not electronic diff as fitted to many modern 4wd. 2 completely different systems. You’ve got what you’ve paid for, but not what you assumed you were getting.

I don't like to kick a man while he's down, however like you I often need to use my T6 on slippery surfaces, muddy fields etc so I didn't even consider any T6 that wasn't a 4motion even though it cost more than a 2 wheel drive equivalent. Horses for courses.
Obviously it's not as capable as the landrover it replaced but I don't need a hard core off roader and I do need to carry eight by four sheets of ply sometimes, hence the T6 wins.

Reactions: XZO
Back