VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
SoLows at their highest at the front, down 2.5mm at the rear (no rubbing

17" OEM GP 7" with 215 / 60

No rubbing

18" Duchy Banded 9" R and 8.5" F running Falken FK510

Front Rubbing

Had to move the arch liner tab up and move liner. Still getting rubbing over speed bumps, dips and fast corners.

I've had a hunter alighment.

What are peoples suggestions to get this resolved ??

I spent hours reading and making notes of others set ups and the safe option was 8.5 F with the 255/45 so I dont understand why
Im having these problems?????

Other members with 8.5 on the front without issues @Tourershine @DWS @fezza68 @matt_r @RyanGerry @Niall.b

I've just jacked it up to see where its rubbing and it looks like theres still some scope to lift it a bit. Do others agree?

shock.JPG

Attachments

• hunter.pdf
    81.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I honestly don't know how you would solve that except raising the coilovers TBH but I'm no expert. Looks like the front struts have some room to go higher for sure. What's the green cabletie!?

I honestly don't know how you would solve that except raising the coilovers TBH but I'm no expert. Looks like the front struts have some room to go higher for sure. What's the green cabletie!?
I put it on there as I thought the stanchion cover needed to be tight but apparently when the shocks are sat down the sleeve sits nicely on the shock body so no shit can cover the stanchion...

Im hoping some of the other Solow owners can advise :)

I wonder if the Falkens are wider than some other tyres. The sizing can be all over the place across different brands
With wide shoulder blocks, the Azenis FK510 has been designed to improve high speed cornering and grip while the hybrid undertread materials included within the tyre deliver exceptional stability and handling – providing extra confidence for the driver.

I’d definitely say it tyre size or tyre make as others have said I ran banded amoraks with no issues at all but now I’m running 20’s on solows , I had no chaffage until I’ve wound them nearly all the way down, now I get slight chaffage occasionally , but nothing to worry about.

No rubbing

Front Rubbing

Had to move the arch liner tab up and move liner. Still getting rubbing over speed bumps, dips and fast corners.

I spent hours reading and making notes of others set ups and the safe option was 8.5 F with the 255/45 so I dont understand why

Other members with 8.5 on the front without issues @Tourershine @DWS @fezza68 @matt_r @RyanGerry @Niall.b

I've just jacked it up to see where its rubbing and it looks like theres still some scope to lift it a bit. Do others agree?

View attachment 136874
There looks to be some thread left for adjustment, but how far up you can safely take it I don’t know? Maybe Steve @CRS Performance could advise, even though I know he doesn’t do or agree with the SoLows? Or maybe Chris @The Van Cave ?

Other than that @Tourershine is running the SoLows and might be able to advise where the ‘highest’ setting is/should be??

Many other members are running with that size of tyre and SoLows, so if you don’t have any further adjustment with the coil overs, it might be down to the tyre brand?

No rubbing

Front Rubbing

View attachment 136874
Chris, u look like you are about half way down on the adjuster. take it up 10mm or so and try that. deffo too low for those tyres mate

No rubbing

Front Rubbing

View attachment 136874

Rubbing the inner liners isn't unusual mate. You've lowered the van way more than the factory designed it to be, so rubbing plastics is just one of the small drawbacks and eventually it will wear through and the noise will stop. The only other option is to heat up the liner and try to move it in slightly.

If you think that's bad, you should see under mine, it looks like it's been dragged down a gravel road with no wheels fitted:eek:
Some would say it's crazy, I just say it's the compromises we make to achieve the looks we crave.

Chris, u look like you are about half way down on the adjuster. take it up 10mm or so and try that. deffo too low for those tyres mate
Apparently I'll get 3 -5mm according to THQ but it might cause knocking. They also said that the Et32 banded amaroks are too wide!!!! I had a hunter yesterday so moving the suspension about is going to require another visit.

I’d definitely say it tyre size or tyre make as others have said I ran banded amoraks with no issues at all but now I’m running 20’s on solows , I had no chaffage until I’ve wound them nearly all the way down, now I get slight chaffage occasionally , but nothing to worry about.
When you were running the amaroks you had an 8" front so not sure its comparable. Loads of peeps on here have 255/45 on a 8.5.. so it could be the falkens are odd..

There looks to be some thread left for adjustment, but how far up you can safely take it I don’t know? Maybe Steve @CRS Performance could advise, even though I know he doesn’t do or agree with the SoLows? Or maybe Chris @The Van Cave ?

Other than that @Tourershine is running the SoLows and might be able to advise where the ‘highest’ setting is/should be??

Many other members are running with that size of tyre and SoLows, so if you don’t have any further adjustment with the coil overs, it might be down to the tyre brand?
It’s no secret that I am not a fan of very low vans . The issue you may have is that the kit is made much shorter than normal stuff to accommodate the ridiculous drops it can do . , the amount of thread left on the adjuster isn’t important , what is important is how much droop travel is left when the adjuster is raised up , if the short shaft runs out of travel this may be the noise THQ are referring to . It will mean the shock tops out on every bump where the van wants to lift up And can’t.
never played with one of these kits but . I have one coming in soon with issues and maybe I can comment better after checking it out .

The look isn’t really important , measure from center of the wheel to top of the arch. Standard vans are 460 mm. I reckon the van in the picture is. 370 mm. That is low .

@dErZ your van may not look low to you, but any van running Solow is towards the extreme end of lowering. With a 255/45 18 it’s no surprise to me that the fronts are rubbing. It’s already been said, but these vans were never intended to run at the ride height that us Solow users run them and there are always compromises. I have a few observations of your van.

1. You have some adjustment left on the front, maybe 5mm, so you could raise it a little if you wanted to.

2. I think you’ll still get rubbing if you did go up that 5mm. The rubbing you’re getting isn’t going to be solved with a 5mm ride height raise.

3. A heat gun and some moulding of the liner might help, but there’s one spot that it definitely won’t. There’s a shoulder in the liner towards the outside in about the 2 o’clock position passenger side and 10 o’clock position drivers side and you look to be getting a rub here too. This is because there’s a metal edge behind it, so you can only solve this by cutting this metal away, something that is sometimes done on vans running air to enable the really big drops.

4. Those FK510s do look wide on the fronts. They’re a great tyre, I’m a big fan and use them myself (in a different size), but they do look wide. A cheap budget tyre with less rim protection might help reduce the rub, they are typically narrower size for size.

5. I always explain to Solow customers that rubbing can be a problem, even at full height, especially when running load rated tyres. This is one of the compromises when choosing this suspension.

6. No two vans are the same, well, not exactly the same, and as such it’s really hard to make comparisons from van to van. Manual vs DSG, 4 motion vs 2wd, kombi/PV/Caravelle/any other variant, the owner’s regular load and other variables can make a difference between a rub or no rub at solow drops. Some vans will be OK at your ride height with that size tyre, some won’t.

7. A smaller tyre without the required load rating will help stop the rubbing, but is that a route you want to go down?

I run Solows at 125mm down on my own van and I’ve made a few compromises and mods to get there, but I still get rubbing. My arch liners have got more holes in than a Swiss cheese and my under engine tray is a mess, but it’s my personal choice to run that low and I accept it.

Solows aren’t something I recommend to anyone else without first discussing the associated issues and compromises that they would/might have to make.

As a summary from all of that, you might just have to accept that rubbing if you want to run that wheel+tyre+suspension combination.

Back