Solar panel on bonnet?

dhardyuk

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Has anyone fitted a flexible solar panel to the bonnet?

I’m planning on getting a solar panel bonded to the pop top when the roof gets installed later this the year. In the meantime I’d be happy to fit a flexible solar panel on the bonnet which would would be kept after the roof is fitted.

All I can find when searching for solar panels on bonnets is the folding suitcase jobbies not permanent installations.

Obviously a big square aluminium frame with pedestrian killing corners is out of the question - has anyone seen a flexible low profile panel permanently installed on the bonnet?

Ta

David

Why not just put it on the roof? No matter how you fix it to the bonnet there's a good chance it'll damage the paint, plus surely the panel will be vulnerable to stone chips?

Hmm, I'm not convinced on the choice of location, but I would definitely be putting some vinyl underneath it before I stuck one on there.

I would have thought that the curve on the bonnet would make this difficult, and would also restrict the size of panel you could fit.

Pete

I would have thought that the curve on the bonnet would make this difficult, and would also restrict the size of panel you could fit.

Pete
I’ve just been looking at the Lensunsolar link from @prog99 which says that the panel has to be installed on a warm day so it’s flexes and sticks to the bonnet profile properly.

The reason for choosing the bonnet is that
1. The panel will not be wasted when the roof gets installed.
2. The wiring cable run would be straightforward.

I’m off to look for hood solar panels photos and reviews

If so, why not just use a folding panel in the meantime?
I have MS, it took me 3 weeks to run the cables for my tow bar in fits and starts. I prefer doing what I can when I can and it being a one & done.

Also a permanent installation gives me continuous access to free recharging without worrying about setting anything up or remembering to fetch it in.

I’m also looking at mag mount solar panels and found a thread elsewhere where someone retro fitted their own magnetic fixings onto low profile rigid panels which would also do - but on the roof, not the bonnet because scrotes and removeable.

folks just wondering you could put rigid solar panels on the rear back doors with a moveable tilting bracket which can angle them toward the sun when stationary. would they be too heavy a weight on the back doors?

I don't see much point in doing this if you plan fitting it on the roof at a later date as your going to be limited to smaller sizes.
Especially if fitting a underside junction box panel which look much neater.
I'd be tempted to just wait for the roof.
Here's a 270w with underside junction box on a SWB Reimo.

Screenshot_20230603_201054_Facebook.jpg

Reactions: CAB
Back