Solar panel installation

Nickg60

Hi all, lurker on this forum but not posted before, after a bit of solar advice please.

Done lots of research including on here, loads of advice just still a bit unsure of exactly what to get. The big solar thread was super informative, and i think im settled on the photonic universe panels, and then a victron smart mppt controller.

Slightly unsure on how much power i need. Upgraded all the electrics in the van last year, now have an exide 142ah battery, powering a standard waeco compressor fridge. Nothing else silly in there really, otherwise its just charging usb stuff like phones, speakers etc and an eber. Muvonics leisure charger runs it all now. Options seem to be 100w,120w,160w. Ideally the goal is to be able to do 2 weeks in the alps/europe in summer and not have to get hookup at all. 120w is probably the best money wise as i was hoping to keep it to around £300, by my calcs would give me required juice, will that be enough or is the 160w a better option? Top is normally up evenings and can usually face south, often left in towns and things closed during the day so i think the better quality panels charge better flat which is where they are likely to spend most of the time in midday sun.

i think i would need the 75/10 mppt for the 100 or 120w panel and the 75/15 for the 160w?

Is there any performance difference between the semi flexible fibreglass panels and the reinforced ones? I like the new reinforced ones with the circular gland, seems the neatest way of installing it. Have a reimo flat poptop roof with no ridges, will this lack of channel cause any issues with heat dissipation? Was thinking of using 3m tape to fit it.

Finally, does the output from the mppt go straight to the leisure battery or can it go into the split charge system. Currently on EHU i can switch between the EHU charging the van or leisure battery which is really useful as the van often spends weeks unused. If the solar could take care of this as well and charge the vehicle would be even better.

Thanks

I'm not really qualified to give any advice on the more technical aspects of solar panel installation etc. but I would suggest that if you're going to do it, try to only have to do it once by putting in something that's bigger than you think you need now. From the options listed above, that means 160W - that's what I've got and it's a Photonic Universe jobbie as well. It easily does the stuff that you say you need it to do along with a bit of TV / video watching. An expert will probably be along soon with further advice.

Edit: PS.Pressed the post button before I saw that Delmassive had responded as well - told you an expert would chip in!

as for above.

photonic universe panels, and then a victron smart mppt controller.
those are great products.

Slightly unsure on how much power i need. Upgraded all the electrics in the van last year, now have an exide 142ah battery, powering a standard waeco compressor fridge. Nothing else silly in there really, otherwise its just charging usb stuff like phones, speakers etc and an eber
- 100w - 300w or 6A to 18A should cover everything. (remember you could have a 150w panel stuck on roof, then have a mobile panel sitting on floor when needed, so 300W could be 150W on roof, plus 150w on floor)

Muvonics leisure charger runs it all now
- whats size in Amps is the EHU charger?

i think i would need the 75/10 mppt for the 100 or 120w panel and the 75/15 for the 160w?

- get the best one you can afford the number system is VOC/AMPS or 75/10, that means 75v VOC max and 10A charging max.

you may be better off looking at the 75/15 for 15A charging . . . or even the 100/20 id you start looking at the 200W - 300W power range.

Is there any performance difference between the semi flexible fiberglass panels and the reinforced ones?
- some of the reinforced ones have an ALU layer inside that helps strengthen the panel but also helps with heat disipation, which is favorable. but not a deal breaker.

with solar panels, you normally get what you pay for, so look closely at the panel specs . . .

Finally, does the output from the mppt go straight to the leisure battery or can it go into the split charge system
- it can go to either.

normally direct to the leisure battery for maximum efficiency, but can be connected to the starter battery if you have a dc-dc charger between the two..? . . . . but there are slight losses in the double conversion.

I'm not really qualified to give any advice on the more technical aspects of solar panel installation etc. but I would suggest that if you're going to do it, try to only have to do it once by putting in something that's bigger than you think you need now. From the options listed above, that means 160W - that's what I've got and it's a Photonic Universe jobbie as well. It easily does the stuff that you say you need it to do along with a bit of TV / video watching. An expert will probably be along soon with further advice.

Edit: PS.Pressed the post button before I saw that Delmassive had responded as well - told you an expert would chip in!
@Ayjay

can you post a couple of pics of your setup and system over here pls,?:

your experience and real world knowledge is well valued :)

just copy, edit & Paste:

Copy & Paste the below to add your setup:

Solar Panel:
Mobile Panel:
Solar charge controller:
DC-DC charger:
EHU Charger:
battery bank:
Battery Monitor:
Inverter:
other:

300W panel on a T6 roof :

Thanks for the posts.
The ehu charger is 18a, muvonics mv4/180c.

Dellmassive, I've been through all those links from your other posts, thanks, working out the fridge is about 1.5ah say for 12 hours a day is 18ah, add the other bits makes it say 25ah, which makes sense cos that 75ah across 3 days, and my 142ah battery is still in the yellow after 3 days. (Im really careful to keep this one in the yellow above 50% charge, i abused the last one and killed it over a couple of years not knowing how to look after it)

Using the info from titan a 120w panel should give conservatively 60ah a day in good sun by my reckoning, so 120ah would be more than enough? I want to do it once and right, but i have no intention of adding much draw to this, dont want tv or anything, so id rather not buy capacity i dont need but spend the money on the best kit.
Im not sure with a 120w set up the victron 75/15 gains anything but futureproofing as the max output of the panel is apx 20v/6a which is well below the ceiling of both am i understanding that right?

- some of the reinforced ones have an ALU layer inside that helps strengthen the panel but also helps with heat disipation, which is favorable. but not a deal breaker.

with solar panels, you normally get what you pay for, so look closely at the panel specs . . .

One of the reasons i was looking at the reinforced ones was heat dissipation, as its a totally flat roof without the channels a tintop or other pop tops has.

Although having just taken the back of the van to bits to look at cabling options, I've only got about 20mm of flat space behind the back of the pop top, I can't decide wether id rather double gland it outside the tent down through whats left of the factory roof or just to go inside the tent itself, but i can't see a 40mm hole looking nice inside the lined roof.

this 160w panel - 12V solar panels charging kits for caravans, motorhomes, boats, yachts, marine

specs are:

1589034477123.png

so
VOC: 20.2v
ISC: 8.4A

or this 120W one - 12V solar panels charging kits for caravans, motorhomes, boats, yachts, marine

1589034564429.png

so
VOC: 23.9v
ISC: 6.3A

so if you upgraded the 75/10 to the 75/15 . . . in future IF you needed more power/current.

could could just add more panels, mobile or other too up the overall system.

the load-output is also rated for either 10A or 15A, so if you are running your fridge etc . . . then the 15A version will be better.

make sure you get the SMART version that has Bluetooth built in. the APP is awsome.

you can download it now and play with the test/demo products in the APP.

Load output
The intelligent Load output function prevents damage caused by running batteries 'flat'. You can configure the voltage at which SmartSolar disconnects a load - thereby preventing excessive drain on your batteries. And here's the clever bit: SmartSolar will attempt a 100% recharge every day. If it can't - during periods of poor weather - it raises the disconnect voltage, daily, until it achieves success. We call this feature BatteryLife because it maintains the health, and extends the life of your battery.

1589034956703.png

Thanks, so 75/15 it is as the cost difference is negligble. Leaning towards 120, just whether to do the nice flush fitting one or run the 2 cables in separately.

Has anybody fitted one of the new circular rear mount boxes inside a reimo roof and can post a picture?

@Ayjay

can you post a couple of pics of your setup and system over here pls,?:

your experience and real world knowledge is well valued :)

Dellmassive, I'll try to sort something out tomorrow - a list of kit is easy enough but decent photos not so much as the electrics are all installed inside a black hole over driver side rear wheel arch (so apologies in advance for their quality!).

Back