So many choices, disappointing that it appears more than a few have had their solar panels fail.
I want to install a panel (100 to 200W) directly onto the top of my Reimo Easyfit roof and for me, reliability is a big factor.
Wonder what and how VW would fit one?

So many choices, disappointing that it appears more than a few have had their solar panels fail.
I want to install a panel (100 to 200W) directly onto the top of my Reimo Easyfit roof and for me, reliability is a big factor.
Wonder what and how VW would fit one?

If doing it again I would install onto a vinyl wrap to make it easier to change.

The actual failure rate is hard to ascertain though - people are obviously more likely to post that something has failed than something hasn’t.

If VW were fitting one, they would fit the cheapest one, charge you four or five times the unit cost, then allow three replacements until they fobbed you off with some excuse for not doing any more but be willing to replace it for a further 'special priced deal' since you're such a valuable customer...

If VW were fitting one, they would fit the cheapest one, charge you four or five times the unit cost, then allow three replacements until they fobbed you off with some excuse for not doing any more but be willing to replace it for a further 'special priced deal' since you're such a valuable customer...
I hope it wouldn't be like that although, sadly I suspect you may have a point.

I changed my 100W PV Logic panel out for a new 200W Photonic Universe one recently.
Different orientation on the roof but used the same hole already drilled through the roof panel. I replaced the vinyl beneath the panel ( see the thread Roof wrap for solar panel for more on that) and stuck it on with Sikaflex 252, I added some 10mm slices of plastic pipe about every 15cm sandwiched between the vinyl and the panel in the valleys to add some support spacers in those bits as the panel would otherwise only be stuck on the centre spar and the very edges of the next two smaller ones to eliminate any sag that may occur. I have sealed the front edge with Sikaflex but left the rear end open for cooling.
IMG20220802191852.jpg

@Grim Reaper amazing, thanks for that, I think you've got the same panel I bought and have yet to fit. I like the pipe idea, are they stuck so the opening ends of the pipe are pointing up and down? Also is the hole for the junction outside of the canvas?

Yes, I cut 10mm slices of some 30mm diameter plastic pipe that I had in the garage, drilled a couple of holes in each slice to ensure air pressure could equalise once they were stuck top and bottom and stuck them to the roof first, then piped some Sikaflex around the tops and along the spars and around the hole before lowering the panel on top of them and stacking a few bits of 2x4 and some bricks on top of the panel to hold it down while the Sikaflex set.
The hole goes through outside the canvas and the wire goes in through the velcro then a large loop to one side before going through to the inside of the van in the middle above the tailgate.

Amazing, thanks so much for this help, I have been going back and forth about what to do for ages. Got Knifeless cutter and 3m 1080 on order ready to get this done now :-D

Back