Small Bbq Recommendation

Pete C

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Can anyone recommend a small BBQ please, for use with the van.

Requirements are:

Must fold up as small as possible.
Charcoal only, not interested in gas.
For 2 people only i.e. should be capable of cooking 2 steaks, but not more.
Would be good if it was slightly off the ground so I didn’t have to worry about it burning the grass on a campsite.

Thanks,

Pete

Have a look at COBB - Cobb Premier Charcoal Bbq & Carry Bag | Lakeland

We've had one for a few years - pretty much redundant for us now as we prefer our Cadacs but as you want charcoal rather than gas this will fit the bill well. You really can use them anywhere (outside) - we've had ours on the deck of a boat before - they stay cool to the touch outside so you can shift once lit without problem and no fear of burning the grass, etc..

Used one of these for 10 years and it is showing no signs of wear and tear, I can’t speak highly enough of it. Easy to light and cook on then when finished close the vents and it is cool in no time ready to pack away and because it cuts off the air supply, there will still be usable charcoal for next time. I always use heat beads briquettes. There is a skill to cooking with the lid on that once mastered means no more charcoaled meats (unless that’s how you like it). The size and shape make for easy storage under a seat or in a cupboard and when in use the legs keep it up so no grass damage.

You might consider a "Lidl folding grill". It appears on page 17 of the online leaflet for Thursday 19th - Wednesday 25th April at £12.99 [1]. The same basic design is available from other suppliers at other prices.

[1] Online Leaflets

Great suggestions thanks folks - will have a look at all of these.

Pete

Have a look at COBB - Cobb Premier Charcoal Bbq & Carry Bag | Lakeland

We've had one for a few years - pretty much redundant for us now as we prefer our Cadacs but as you want charcoal rather than gas this will fit the bill well. You really can use them anywhere (outside) - we've had ours on the deck of a boat before - they stay cool to the touch outside so you can shift once lit without problem and no fear of burning the grass, etc..

I'm another one who would suggest the COBB. small(ish) self contained and you can even use it as an oven to roast a chicken (for example). it's a brilliant bit of kit...and ready to cook in 5 mins if using their cobblestones (their branded 'charcoal' solution)

Used one of these for 10 years and it is showing no signs of wear and tear, I can’t speak highly enough of it. Easy to light and cook on then when finished close the vents and it is cool in no time ready to pack away and because it cuts off the air supply, there will still be usable charcoal for next time. I always use heat beads briquettes. There is a skill to cooking with the lid on that once mastered means no more charcoaled meats (unless that’s how you like it). The size and shape make for easy storage under a seat or in a cupboard and when in use the legs keep it up so no grass damage.
I'm a massive Weber fan. No surname related pun intended. I've got a Q2000 series for the garden which is used all summer from bacon in the mornings to grilled veg in the evening. Far easier than washing up.
I've got the go anywhere gas that lived in the boot of the car for spontaneous bbq at the beach or even lunch at work.
Brilliant bits of kit, I believe you get what you pay for.
However for the camper I've gone and bought a cadac safari as it does a lot more than just bbq for the packdown size.

I have a grilletto "son of hibbatchi" Small and works very well and the snuffout bag makes packing hot easy. Just don't have any hot coals in it or you Risk carbon monoxoide

I went, I saw, I bought.
Go outdoors today £79.99.
After extensive google research I decided on this as it was the only one I found that had a decent temperature control, and when camping, I much prefer cooking on coals.
v6255BKAT7SAjAZvsgKQ%g.jpg

I occasionally use the disposable ones when camping or beaching, dead light and you can bin them afterwards once you've dunked it in water. Not very environmentally friendly I know...

I occasionally use the disposable ones when camping or beaching, dead light and you can bin them afterwards once you've dunked it in water. Not very environmentally friendly I know...
Thats what I've been doing as I much prefer back to basics when camping but realised it was costing me £5 per meal in disposables and noo control over heat so always burnt offerings. As we have a lot of trips planned this year I decided to buy something I could use again and again and as such can (hopefully) work out the best way to use it without too much burning of the food. Probably won't be any cheaper once you factor in the coals but hopefully less stomach ache the following day.

I went, I saw, I bought.
After extensive google research I decided on this as it was the only one I found that had a decent temperature control, and when camping, I much prefer cooking on coals.
View attachment 21845
Enjoy - I love cooking on charcoal too and Weber are very good. Just had our 3rd BBQ of the weekend and will probably have the 4th tomorrow. I tend to use charcoal at home and gas on travels.

I went, I saw, I bought.
View attachment 21845
Used to have one of those, very good it was, now have a Weber Smokey Joe, love it.
cook on Weber briquettes now as prefer these to charcoal.

Used to have one of those, very good it was, now have a Weber Smokey Joe, love it.
I’ve gone the other way - years of using Weber briquettes but now prefer good quality lump wood.

@Davenjo what would be your choice of charcoal, have always found a shorter cooking time on charcoal as opposed to briquettes.
Thanks Tony

I’ve gone the other way - years of using Weber briquettes but now prefer good quality lump wood.
@Davenjo what would be your choice of charcoal, have always found a shorter cooking time on charcoal as opposed to briquettes.
Thanks Tony

This is the excitement of the many BBQ's that lie ahead. So much experimenting whilst slowly expanding the waist line.;)

I use Big Green Egg - Oak and Hickory - not cheap (£25 for 10kg) but very good (tried some cheaper “restaurant” stuff but no comparison)

Back