Slip Ring Moved

Morning all. I've made a bit of a mess of a steering wheel conversion. I followed a video of a t5.1 as couldn't find t6 mfsw upgrade . I missed a bit of the video as i was going in and out of the house to the driveway and forgot to mark the old wheel position and also moved the slip ring and lost position . I then realised the whole wiring to the bcm and light switch is beyond me and refitted the old plastic wheel and now have the traction control warning light on the dash. I have vcds and followed a tutorial where it said drive van and make sure wheel is strait which it now is and started to follow ross tec instructions but the menus i have a different. Can any body help me. Or even better fit my wheel for cash please. Im in keighley near bradford. Please

It’s quite likely you’ve damaged the ribbon in the slip ring. Perhaps take it out and inspect the ribbon. Maybe you could work out the centre point of it and refit it if it’s not damaged.

the post i saw says 2 1/4 turns each way, it seems to be measuring in vcds, do you know the number for the centre, it seems to go minus and up to +600's

if you have VCDS you can try and reset the slipring measurements by doing a "basic settings" function/re-calibration. (to tell the ECU that the wheel is straight etc)

a rough idea over here >

Thanks for the messages. I managed to do it by using the measuring blocks to find 0 , then found that it was one turn out to the right, i then removed wheel and rotated slip ring to this position and refit wheel to the new centre mark i did after a test drive and all lights have gone out. To everyone who attempts this after me, the slip ring needs taping and wheel needs a scratch line on splines near notch for position. The ring itself rotates 3 and a bit turns left and right then theres a bit of resistance after that i think if you force it the ribbon cable its game over. I ve found a local company called exploria in brighouse that will do the wiring tap to the bcm . According to the videos I've seen you need a compatible wheel. The first one i bought had cruise buttons but i was told this wont fit as cruise from stalk cant be moved to buttons so I've got a basic wheel with radio and phone buttons now. I have a pioneer head unit and connects2 harness then the two wires from vag shop . Im hoping thats all i need. Ill keep you posted thanks

Back