Window Options and Opinions

MishMash

Hi all,

Just picked up our 2015 T5.1 (yayyyyyyyy!) and we're debating what to do with windows. It's currently a 'normal' panel van with barn doors so one of the first jobs of the conversion is to decide how many (if any), and where to put windows.

We're thinking definitely one sliding window on the front half of the driver side, and then debating whether to get a matching one on the passenger/sliding door side as well.

Is it worth getting a fixed window in each of the barn doors as well or is that a bit pointless?

What do you guys have and what are the pros/cons of your setups?

Any specific brands you recommend to either buy or avoid? (I'm in the South West)

TIA

I used Camperglass too, great product and best price. I went for fixed all round, as the poptop can zip open above the cooker, and it was cheaper and less likely to leak. All depends on how you use your van though.

I like windows in the back.

Knock-on edging is less stressful than carpet over the edge, but again it’s up to you.

Sliding windows leak, ask yourself why you think you need them. Windows in barn doors make the van much easier to drive and park, just my 2 pennies worth

Hi and welcome MishMash,

I used Camperglass (Van Windows & Van Glass | Tinted Privacy Van Windows | Camper Glass), good fitting kit and I've found the windows good quality. Also they do a good video on how to fit them, I had to watch it about 10 times before cutting the holes

I went for opening on each side and found it useful during the summer. It’s very much a personal preference.
Yeah I'm not sure I've got the guts to cut a hole in it myself! Everything else I'm fine with but can't bring myself to do it... I just have this image of me slipping and it all going wrong

The summer is exactly when I'm thinking tbh. If it's a hot night and we're facing the right way we could have a cheeky little breeze blow through.

Sliding windows leak, ask yourself why you think you need them. Windows in barn doors make the van much easier to drive and park, just my 2 pennies worth
I thought it was mainly OEM Windows that leaked but after markets weren't as bad? I know you can get good and bad of everything but thought if I went for good quality and fitting we might be OK.... maybe.

Yeah the parking situation is partly why I was thinking of the barn doors too. But then also figured I could get a reversing camera so not as critical.

I used Camperglass too, great product and best price. I went for fixed all round, as the poptop can zip open above the cooker, and it was cheaper and less likely to leak. All depends on how you use your van though.

I like windows in the back.

Knock-on edging is less stressful than carpet over the edge, but again it’s up to you.
Ok, so 2 votes for Camperglass so far which is good to know :)

Not going for a poptop this time so so no option with alternative zip opening.

Thanks for info re. knock on edging too :)

We’ve had sliders installed in the rear of our Kombi as we didn't want a high level kitchen. We then replaced the vw OEM sliders which leaked with matching aftermarket sliders. Lots of light and ventilation options and no leaks. Airy and spacious with our Ply Guys install. :)

I thought it was mainly OEM Windows that leaked but after markets weren't as bad? I know you can get good and bad of everything but thought if I went for good quality and fitting we might be OK.... maybe.

Yeah the parking situation is partly why I was thinking of the barn doors too. But then also figured I could get a reversing camera so not as critical.
Correct, leak issues tend to be on the flush design sliders. The issue with the Camper Glass Sliders isn't leaking but that you need to work out at least three times a week to be able to open them!! ;)

Back