Sliding Window Leaking And Drivers Windows

RayC

Tyre testing and development
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
think the dealers here are useless

Two attempts at drivers door and it still leaks and the sliding window in the sliding door which has water marks on it they can’t find

I’ve had all seals done on the drivers door, any idea where to go next?

Wind noise is horrible from drivers window too

0DBB0408-21EC-43A6-B799-D1B03924668C.jpeg

D6199BD0-1DBA-44F8-AB7F-EE9DD610B17E.jpeg

Is the door aligned correctly or have the upper half of the door been twisted at all? I have heard of this..

As for leaky side window, common problem have you tried @DaveyB DIY fix?.

That’s not where I was expecting to see you getting water ingress. I thought it would be under the window, which is what indicates blocked drain holes.
To my completely untrained eye it sure does appear that the sliding window is not sitting into the aperture properly when closed. Have you tried rubbing some silicone spray into the seals around the sliding glass?

I’m pretty sure it’s window but will look

DC383646-3D7B-4B88-8F7C-FA36EF414EA9.jpeg

I'm another who's Van is in for a replacement sliding door window, due to water ingress. But glad to iron out any warranty issues..

If you have a van with factory sliding windows that don't leak it's not a VW!

By the way the windows don't leak it's the drain channels that don't run the water outside. The window seals will always let some wet in sometime during their life but it should be caught in the drain channel and routed outside through the either of the two drain holes. Try using a little funnel and pour water into the front drain hole, I guess that on faulty ones it will run inside not outside. You can't get to the centre hole without dismantling the window but if you could you may find the same problem. Been there, done that and even sent VW a video of what happens and that was at least six years ago but they still send out faulty parts.

I just got mine back this afternoon, they fitted a new window. And as i live in the Highlands. It won't be long until i find out if they have fixed the leak or not.. :D

Had it home for a few hours, and it's been chucking it down up here. And no leakage from the new Window... Well, none so far!! :thumbsup:

Sliding Kombi not just leaking “pouring in” . Bought a used approved van from vw at the end of December and ever since on certain mornings had condensation on the inside of the windscreen. Thinking it was the dog and kids getting in wet I wasn’t to bothered until I recently started my conversion and realised that the sponge in the rubber floor matting was saturated with water! Still unaware how the water was getting in i started to take the inside panels off and could see that the panel underneath the drivers side sliding window was black on the back and full of water marks and I could then see that when it was raining the water was pouring in from underneath the drain holes on both rear windows. I took the van back to vw and was told that they were aware that there has been a problem with some vans, and both my windows needed changing as they could not be repaired however I was then told my warranty run out on 01/03/19 and it was not covered ! I then asked about the cover I have with my Das WeltAuto warranty and told that it doesnt cover glass!
It’s been escalated to vw and I am waiting to see if they will change them but I am so disappointed.

Now that sucks, i only realised that the sliding door was leaking was when i removed the door panel to sound deadening it. I bet there are folk driving around unaware that theirs leak. So, fingers crossed for you that they come to an agreement and replace them for you!

It's not the glass that's leaking, it's the structure of the sliding window frame assembly.

Take the bottom trim off the sliding window frame and pour water into the front drain hole, I guess you will find that the water runs out of the join between the parts of the drain ducting. Take video of that happening then take the van back to the dealers and show them what's happening. If necessary you can do like I did and send the video to VW.

Hi Rod, I already explained this to them and that it’s not the glass it’s a problem with the window itself and I was basically fobbed off. I’m going to wait for VW to get back to me Monday with their decision on if they will change them. I was told when I bought the van that there would be a 142 point inspection so I asked why the problem wasn’t picked up during this check I was told they don’t check the windows???they agree to change them.

The problem is so well known no dealer should miss it.

When my dealers service reception staff went to VW for a pre-launch event of the T6 someone there asked if the window leaking problem had been fixed. The reply was - "NO we are still working on it." And so they may have been ever since 2003 and still not fixed it! After all sixteen years isn't long to sort out such a simple problem is it?

Back